Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong at Ikon (Read 1317 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong at Ikon

The Blues take on Geelong at home, in the daytime, no less! A 1435 starting time.
The team is still very much a work in progress, as a lot of good players are unavailable at the moment. But Pitto is back, which is a positive. It will be interesting to see how he meshes with Mirkov.
McGovern's return is also timely, as he provides that little big extra in defence; a strong, fast body who can take huge marks and has real depth in his kicking.
Ed Curnow should be on more time also this week: his time was managed last week and he still got 19 possessions.
Certainly not losing 3 or the four senior emergencies will give us a stronger line-up, but we need something in attack as much as anything. Neither Glass-McCasker nor Josh Cripps is taking the marks a key forward needs, let alone kicking goals. Both really need to lead more, to really get on their bikes. Hopefully Crocker is back, as he was seriously missed last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong at Ikon

Reply #1
We won 70-59

Gov and Pitto seem to have got through OK
Curnow looks to have hurt himself again.

McGovern 17 disposals and kicked a goal late to help win the game. Played mostly in defence
Pittonet 15 disposals and 22 hitouts.
Dow another 30 possession game
Setterfield had 40

Reply #2
We won 70-59

Gov and Pitto seem to have got through OK
Curnow looks to have hurt himself again.

McGovern 17 disposals and kicked a goal late to help win the game. Played mostly in defence
Pittonet 15 disposals and 22 hitouts.
Dow another 30 possession game
Setterfield had 40
I said at the start of the year that Curnow needs to go. He is surplus and can't stay on the park.
If true, i reckon he may have just realised that himself.

Reply #3
I said at the start of the year that Curnow needs to go. He is surplus and can't stay on the park.
If true, i reckon he may have just realised that himself.

We should at least check for a pulse before the vet runs in with the gun…
What’s the injury ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #4
What’s the injury ?
Calf
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
What’s the injury ?
does it matter?

If it is calf, thats about the worst possible news.

The first time i did it i said it was 'old mans injury' and he's missed the whole season.....and now....does it again.

I love the bloke and the energy he brings to the field and locker room, but everyones time comes to an end eventually.

Reply #6
Dow and LoB a class above. Cahill takes his chances up forward. Ruck was a strenght I thought, and gave Dow silver service treatment.

McG kept in touch and was switched fwd late. He took a nice mark and kicked the goal that wrestled back the lead. Confidence building return at the very least.

In all a good game, despite lapses q2. Would have been quite different if Crocker kicked straight. Hopefully it's the blueprint for our seniors 🤞

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #7
does it matter?

The first time i did it i said it was 'old mans injury' and he's missed the whole season.....and now....does it again.

I love the bloke and the energy he brings to the field and locker room, but everyones time comes to an end eventually.

Lets hope as he is shown the door he takes Plowman with him.

Reply #9
You need to separate your heart from your head.

I use logic.
You get vindictive.

As soon as we get our soldiers back Plowman will be permanently stationed in the 2nds. He will never make it against decent competition and I like many shutter to think what he would be like under finals pressure.

Reply #10
I caught the game in patches due to visitors so someone who saw the whole game feel free to correct me.

In the parts of the game I saw both Setterfield and Dow were prominent in terms of possessions but their disposal was often rushed and not really as 'hurtful' as the numbers would suggest.

But that was the game in general...pretty scrappy, lots of turnovers and scoring seemed to be a chore for both sides.

Reply #11
O’Brien was rested in the second half.  He was on standby for a late out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
does it matter?

Calf is pretty close to worst possible news.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #13
Good the see the 2's win, especially with the ordinary performance from the seniors this week. I'll watch the game in a minute. From the stats:
[1] Dow and Setterfield but their hands up. Dow had 31 possessions and 5 clearances. Setterfield had 40 possessions and 7 clearances. Newnes and Hayes, in particular, might be replaced.
[2] Lochie O'Brien had 18 possessions in a half of football. Considering that he was stiff to be dropped, he is likely to be considered for the seniors next week.
[3] Good as these three were, they only had a handful of tackles between them. David Handley, who started the year looking not as fit as he was last year, had 7 tackles and 6 clearances.
[4] Ed Curnow going down was a disaster, not just for him, but for our structure. We are a better team with him on the park, even if his disposal isn't perfect.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
I've watched 3 quarters of the game so far, and generally liked what I've seen.
[1] Marc Pittonet has to play seniors next week. He was obviously short of a galop, but the way he palmed the ball and the way he interjected himself into the action showed why he was so important to us early in the season.
He simply wouldn't get monstered, which still happens to Tom de Koning, for all the improvements he's made.
[2] Alex Mirkov continues to step forward. afl.com.au stated that Ceglar 'dominated': ha! What a joke! Mirkov thrashed him.
Geelong tried 4 different guys in the ruck, and none of them got close to breaking even to Mirkov and Pittonet! Big reason why we won!
[3] McGovern certainly wasn't a standout, although he was more than serviceable. He is clearly not match fit yet, but he showed some glimpses. Give him another week or so to get back some fitness, form and confidence and he'll be a massive inclusion for us.
[4] Our forward structure in the VFL still needs considerable improvement.
With Josh Cripps not playing, we played Akuei up forward. He has a fair way to go, but he does do some very nice things. He was quiet, but he wasn't a total dud.
At the moment he is offering almost as much as Josh Cripps has been, which says a lot about how Josh Cripps is going. Cripps isn't a disaster, but he has a LOT to work on: building a tank, so he can get to contests; building up his upper body so he holds those marks and doesn't get pushed out of the way; and working on his ruck craft (which is very ordinary at the moment.
Jesse Glass-McCasker also played forward and kicked a couple, but he doesn't tend to take many contested marks. His ruck work is not that great either, but it is better than Cripps'. He has more idea how to play, but he hasn't been as good as I'd hoped.
We were improved by having Ben Crocker back, but he seemed to find the conditions quite difficult. He could well have had 5 goals, but ended only with one.
Ned Cahill is a good small forward. He may well get an invite to train with us over the summer, but he goes missing a little too much for my tastes. When he is on, he is damned good. His form is on the improve, after a quiet patch through form and injury.
Ollie Sanders had a much quieter day this round, but he does know where the goals are.
Overall, we really miss having a big key forward who can take a mark. as a result, we tend to go around the mulberry bush far too much. Geelong had a key forward who took took contested marks: it straightened them up a lot.
[5] I've mentioned McGovern, so I won't go over him again.
Kemp played last night and did some nice things, but not enough of them. Give him a couple of big pre-seasons and we could have a gem there. That extra bit of strength and having him hold his marks would greatly improve his game.
I would like to see Kemp get a run in the midfield, like on a wing. He isn't that slow and few other wingmen could match him in the air. Not sure he has the tank yet.
Sam Durdin generally disappointed me last night. he played on Shannon Neal, who kicked 4 goals. Didn't do much more than that, but his effort was one of the reasons Geelong remained as close as they were. Durdin did a couple of nice things, but he really needed the run.
Leiu and Lewis also spent time in defence and weren't disgraced, but neither did they do a lot. Leiu was clearly working on his punching and his spoils were generally reasonable, but neither did a lot positive in the air. We needed someone to take a big mark in defence almost as much as we needed someone to take one in attack.
Cincotta and North were both reasonably quiet, but generally did their jobs. I don't think Cincotta liked the wind all that much; he was struggling to judge things that he normally does quite well.
[6] We had an ordinary patch or two, but we kicked the last 3 goals of the game and were the better team comfortably.
Live Long and Prosper!