Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Essendon (Read 4700 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2023 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #60
Cripps has had one good year in four - it's time to move him on.
Prime players that have under performed over a number of years should be moved on.
Thats harsh. You only move a player like that on if he no longer wants to be part of what you are are doing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
Cripps has had one good year in four - it's time to move him on.
Prime players that have under performed over a number of years should be moved on.

3 years carry injuries, the year he didn't won the Brownlow.

Reply #62
At the 9min mark of the 2nd, Charlie had 0.4, Martin 1.2, Owies had 0.1. They were all gettable, regulation shots for fwds. Convert a few of those and we go into half time with an ok lead. Not Saying the 7 to 2 goal 3rd qtr wouldnt have happened but it may have looked totally different. Those misses absolutely deflate us every time.

We went to water and lost the game in the third irrespective of what you're saying is true.  Lots of those shots were pot shots for goal from 50 metres out in an open forward line.

Do yourself a favour and stop grasping at scoring shots for reasons we aren't winning or playing well.  Our talls are too busy trying to go up one handed and can't create decent separation.

The boys aren't hungry.  Are being out competed, are kicking it poorly all over the ground and not just finishing badly, play with no system, no method, look hesitant as a result and if they're match fit ill be a monkeys uncle and we are getting run over the top of.

We are not playing anywhere near our potential in general play and it's not just convert better and she will be right.

Lance franklin was regularly having 7 scoring shots and kicking roughly half of them when hawthorn were challenging.

We are miles off the pace and we have hit a new low where I can't even look at our fixture and see our next win because we are and have played this way all season.

Take the Rose coloured glasses off.  Watching Lewis Young and weitering try figure out who they should be manning up on only to result in Jack silvagni manning up 2 metre peter in the third quarter told me enough about our team and how they're going.

The boys need to concentrate less on doing things and more on team structure.

Plowman is not a great individual footballer but I see no evidence that we play better footy with him out of the team.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
Including a few pathetic turnovers when kicking off one step (under no pressure) after a mark or free kick.

Or the terrific kick on the right foot where he beautiful hit up a forward.

Reply #64
Thats harsh. You only move a player like that on if he no longer wants to be part of what you are are doing.

Perhaps - but is not at AFL standard and needs to play VFL. He is far too influential to have so many bad games

Reply #65
Perhaps - but is not at AFL standard and needs to play VFL. He is far too influential to have so many bad games
I think its what I said earlier, the bloke is trying to do too much, needs to do what he does best, win hard contested footy and dish off quick.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #66
Bizarre
A real Jekyll and Hyde  effort.
Never really a great all night but...

First Half:- "Look what we can do. we can match it with this lot."
Second Half: OK, You've seen enough. If you want to see more, be a member in 2024

Well I suspect for a lot of folks that's not going to be an option they'll take up.

Just on Young.
Ability aside. The bloke looks totally devoid of confidence.
Now in terms of size he may have been the best match-up for Wright but it was a bit like watching torture seeing him trying to cope.
I suspect, and rightly perhaps, that the players around him lack confidence in Young...and Young feels it.
We've contracted him until 2026
I'm not sure what we're going to do with him, but it's hard to see us going forward with Young as our second big defender.

Reply #67
We keep getting smashed in the centre .

Stoppage Clearances: 19-16 in our favour
Centre Clearances: 13-7 to the Bombers

This has been happening all year.

We had 56-41 inside 50s however tackles inside 50 were 19-7. Total tackles we lost 64-33.

8 of our players didn't lay a tackle including Walsh who plays full time midfield.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
We keep getting smashed in the centre .

Stoppage Clearances: 19-16 in our favour
Centre Clearances: 13-7 to the Bombers

This has been happening all year.

We had 56-41 inside 50s however tackles inside 50 were 19-7. Total tackles we lost 64-33.

8 of our players didn't lay a tackle including Walsh who plays full time midfield.
Some very damning stats there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #69
A few random thoughts :

- I thought Voss' presser was bang on.
- Low tackle count - it's rather difficult to tackle something you can't actually catch. The whole team, but mids in particular, have the collective pace of a medicated snail. We kick the ball into F50, somehow the Bombers end up with it, we don't have time to adjust our set up for the turnover, and they start running in waves, using chains of handballs to create overlap run, and we simply can't catch them.
- Lots of whinging in years past about how Cripps needs help, we are skinny and easily out bodied etc. Now we have big bodies, and suddenly we are one paced. What's it to be ?
- We asked for  more run and dare, and we got it.
- not much you can do in the middle of a season when your fastest players and best ball users are injured
- Jack martin emerged unscathed.
- the players are paradoxically giving effort and also in the midst of a collective morass
- we outplayed them for significant periods and with accurate goal kicking that game was definitely winnable. 

Reply #70
Truth is, they played about 15 minutes and wiped the floor with us. :(

Reply #71
It really is nothing new. Same old, same old. Apply sustained pressure to us and we will fold at some stage and then the opposition can score multiple goals and put the game out of reach.

Even when we have the game on our terms, just sustain the pressure and we'll find a way to fail to capitalize - we'll stuff it up some how.

A very mentally fragile football team, devoid of authoritative leadership.

Sheesh, it dates back to the MM days when he declared we were a very introverted group. We still are.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #72
I didn't watch this game. I can't watch these games. It is the same bad movie week after week. Nothing ever changes. I have a whole lot of theories, observations and opinions on the current situation but I can't see the point. Like the players, I have given up. These are dark days.

Reply #73
The selection of Young on Wright was a disaster, that's a coaching box fail.
Young's form is horrible and has been for weeks, he should be in the twos but we have nothing else thanks to the list management that have assembled wingers and half backs on mass but left us short in key areas.
Sam Durdin is injured but he wouldn't have been any better than Young.
When you have one of the best FBs in the comp in Weitering I can't fathom why he didn't start on the opposition best key forward.  Young had the perfect soft tall player to man up on in Weideman yet we put him on the more dangerous Wright and paid dearly as usual.

Reply #74
I didn't watch this game. I can't watch these games. It is the same bad movie week after week. Nothing ever changes. I have a whole lot of theories, observations and opinions on the current situation but I can't see the point. Like the players, I have given up. These are dark days.
These are dark days, months, years, decades! :o
2024... Moir of the same to come