Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 3923 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #60
I'd give Harry a run in the ruck too this week. Time for him to step up and use that big frame to help his team overcome
a bit of a disadvantage this week.

Reply #61
Why for real? Are you suggesting it doesn't count against crap opponents??

Against crap ruckman yeah. Silvagni usually goes okay against the pinch hitters from other teams.

If we win despite Darcy breaking the hit outs record it will be food for thought.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
The ruck discrepancy is significant enough to wonder whether there's anything to be gained by even contesting them. I'd be tempted to contest a small number and for Silvagni and Young to be deployed somewhere more useful. Hopefully our mids have trained wearing purple.

Reply #63
The ruck discrepancy is significant enough to wonder whether there's anything to be gained by even contesting them. I'd be tempted to contest a small number and for Silvagni and Young to be deployed somewhere more useful. Hopefully our mids have trained wearing purple.

That's what I mean, do we just play Cripps as ruck and tell him not to touch him unless he grabs it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #64
We are in trouble. Freo's mids are not like Hawthorn's.
To be honest, without our regular rucks we won't be winning many more games. Silver lining - decent draft picks.

Freo was smashed in the clearances last week despite dominating the hitouts.  While Young and Silvagni are way off English’s ability, our mids should be able to do a similar number on Freo’s mids.  I expect they will have focused on sharking Freo hitouts and shutting down Freo’s ball movement away from stoppages.

I’m quietly confident that we’ve got this one
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
That's what I mean, do we just play Cripps as ruck and tell him not to touch him unless he grabs it.

I can see the appeal of that type of thinking. Work on the basis that they will end up with the ball first. Make the Freo mids the hunted, lots of close checking and body work, once they have the ball, then try to force the turnover. Easier said than done of course, but so is everything.

Reply #66
Against crap ruckman yeah. Silvagni usually goes okay against the pinch hitters from other teams.

If we win despite Darcy breaking the hit outs record it will be food for thought.

I thought the opposition didn't matter. You won or lost only based on the number of rucks you play.
At least thats the stat you post each week.
Are you suggesting there is more to it than that? ;)

Reply #67
This will be Charlie Curnow's 100th game. Best of luck. It's been quite the journey. No Ed unfortunately.

Reply #68
And Nic Newman's 100th as well.

Reply #69

He can break the hitouts record and it won't bother us.

If he breaks the hitouts to advantage record, then we are in trouble.
Incidentally, i'm not even sure what that is, but if i'd have to guess i'd say it was held by either Sandilands or Mumford.

EDIT: Here is a fun link, albeit missing the last few years...
https://www.afl.com.au/news/148231/all-time-single-match-stats-record-holders

Hitouts to advantage - 27 Goldstein - 2015
BU hitouts to advantage - 11 - Gawn - 2015+2016
TI hitouts to advantage - 14 - Mumford - 2016
CB hitouts to advantage - 15 - Simmonds - 2003

Its hard to find individual player records without going through each game a player has played (AFL Tables don't keep that stat) but earlier this year Pittonet had 20 in a game, and 18 in another from memory.

Reply #70
I suspect 2002 is the year when those stats were first recorded, rather than the year in which the record occurred. Those players weren't playing in 2002.

Reply #71
I suspect 2002 is the year when those stats were first recorded, rather than the year in which the record occurred. Those players weren't playing in 2002.
It states this is all from 1999 onwards

EDIT: Apologies. You are correct, i didn't scroll across to the next column...i'll update

Reply #72
It might be that the ruck contests aren't where we need to keep Darcy and Jackson in check.
It might be more their around the ground ability.
Both average around 14 possessions a game.
Without some decent opponents they may well exceed that number.

Now you would think, and hope, that Young, as a defender will have some effect in nullifying that, but playing as a defender around the ground against ruckmen may be a different challenge..

Reply #73
It might be that the ruck contests aren't where we need to keep Darcy and Jackson in check.
It might be more their around the ground ability.
Both average around 14 possessions a game.
Without some decent opponents they may well exceed that number.

Now you would think, and hope, that Young, as a defender will have some effect in nullifying that, but playing as a defender around the ground against ruckmen may be a different challenge..

Turn that negative into a positive.

Play through our 2 'rucks'.
Let Jack and Young run off them and force them to chase tail and tire them out.
Darcy is more likely to blow up as its not really his go....but thats exactly the one we want to tire out.

Id be hoping for Jack to get 20 touches and hit the scoreboard too.
Young, i'd just be happy to fill the hole at CHB.

Reply #74
I thought the opposition didn't matter. You won or lost only based on the number of rucks you play.
At least thats the stat you post each week.
Are you suggesting there is more to it than that? ;)

I said Silvagni can't ruck against legit ruckman. Let's wait till Sunday hey? It's your time to shine
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!