Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain (Read 62980 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain

Reply #75
From what I'm lead to believe it was a modified version of a dance that was done before tribes went into battle. If that was the case, do it before the game. Don't do it after a goal at the Carlton supporters when your side is 8 goals up.

American sport penalizes over the top celebrations after a score in both the NBA and NFL, because of its potential to to inflame the opposition. Woulg have Goodes done that last week against Hawthorn it that was the indigenous round? What would have been the response of the Hawthorn team? I bet it would have been a near all in.

There was not the level of distaste shown towards Long or Winmar when they spoke out against their treatment at a time of less public awareness. Carlton people booed Long because he was a great player who seemed to tear us a new one everytime he played us.

It has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with Goodes being a flog.

Reply #76
Just listened to Barker's presser - thought he was ok to be honest.

Whilst a little repetitive (possibly in response to the questions he was asked, which always seem inaudible on my computer), I thought his approach was good. No antagonism, short, succinct answers, managed to give answers that sounded like answers without revealing much, no blaming players etc. Didn't look uncomfortable to me.

Pretty good first effort.

Reply #77
From what I'm lead to believe it was a modified version of a dance that was done before tribes went into battle. If that was the case, do it before the game. Don't do it after a goal at the Carlton supporters when your side is 8 goals up.

American sport penalizes over the top celebrations after a score in both the NBA and NFL, because of its potential to to inflame the opposition. Woulg have Goodes done that last week against Hawthorn it that was the indigenous round? What would have been the response of the Hawthorn team? I bet it would have been a near all in.

There was not the level of distaste shown towards Long or Winmar when they spoke out against their treatment at a time of less public awareness. Carlton people booed Long because he was a great player who seemed to tear us a new one everytime he played us.

It has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with Goodes being a flog.

Bulldust, and just because C7 says it was towards the Carlton section doesn't mean it was, if you look at the shot from behind him there were Sydney fans directly in front of him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #78
Then Cameras must go around corners then, because the angle that Fox showed from behind had him going right at a number people in blue that looked a whole lot like Carlton supporters to me.

It was another look at me action from Goodes. It's the same reason that Akermanis was booed.

Reply #79
Haters will hate, they see what they want to see, Goodes is a hater! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
Haters will hate, they see what they want to see, Goodes is a hater! ;)
It does worry me that he is held in high regard by so many. I can't see any good reason to regard him as anything but a squealer and a hypocrite. I wouldn't care if he was pink and had purple spots (although I would hate it if he had green blood and pointy ears).
Goodes sees what he wants to see and squeals. When it comes to going the other way, he is worse than those he condemns. Why? Because he hides behind a holier than thou attitude while displaying the same traits he is condemning.
I may be able to respect him as a player, but as a person I think he is not something I would want anyone to emulate.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
A 10 goal loss is a 10 goal loss, it's basically a flogging.
The only thing to take out of last night is that we kept plugging away until the last bell but we are so far down on talent it isn't funny.
No key forwards, no key backs and no ruckman won't win many games of football and it will take four to five years to fix even if by some miracle we start to get our drafting and trading strategies right.
Last years draft and trade was a shocker even by our low standards so it's hard to be confident.
As for Goodes I agree with PI2C and a few others, I think a lot of what he cops is because he's put racism out there and told the world he won't stand for it, and good on him I reckon.
Some of the bad karma he gets is just because he doesn't wear the right colours and football supporters are notorious for hating anyone who isn't part of their tribe, but most of it is because of what he stands for.

I believe some of prime guns have playing injured or are out. Murphy, Gibbs and Walker missed the later part of the pre-season and probably only played to help Mick keep his job. The way they've played it's looked like it. Some one said Murphy has been carrying that calf he had all season. Our full back missed alot of the year, our CHF is out of touch and missing time through injury too. Of course Judd missed as well. Coverage for that lot is a pretty tough gig. Those blokes playing in form give us a spine and a midfield.

Anyway, like to see Touhy tried further up the field as not much is happening back in defence. Further up the field he can run and roost a long bomb at goal. Like to see Buckley closer to goal too as he is capable of sneaking a few. Jaksch surely has to be better than Jones. Casboult must get an early run in the ruck. Once he gets his hands on the ball a few times his confidence seems up for the rest of the day. he then plays well as a ruck and forward. Stuck on the forward line and you see his confidence disintegrate, even more so with our delivery.

Essentially we have to re-learn how to run, spread and carry. Weren't bad at it late last year and certainly a strength in the Ratten days. After effort, without run your are nothing. Creates space, hence better skills and makes life so much easier for the forwards.

Reply #82
It does worry me that he is held in high regard by so many. I can't see any good reason to regard him as anything but a squealer and a hypocrite. I wouldn't care if he was pink and had purple spots (although I would hate it if he had green blood and pointy ears).
Goodes sees what he wants to see and squeals. When it comes to going the other way, he is worse than those he condemns. Why? Because he hides behind a holier than thou attitude while displaying the same traits he is condemning.
I may be able to respect him as a player, but as a person I think he is not something I would want anyone to emulate.

We live in very PC times. Goodes is of this time. He can do no wrong and if anyone criticises him they will be branded. Good footballer but a bit of an arse IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
I believe some of prime guns have playing injured or are out. Murphy, Gibbs and Walker missed the later part of the pre-season and probably only played to help Mick keep his job. The way they've played it's looked like it. Some one said Murphy has been carrying that calf he had all season. Our full back missed alot of the year, our CHF is out of touch and missing time through injury too. Of course Judd missed as well. Coverage for that lot is a pretty tough gig. Those blokes playing in form give us a spine and a midfield.

Gibbs and Murphy give us much needed class but they certainly don't give us a spine.
Jamison and Kreuzer are the only two tall players of any note missing from last night and they are both terminally injured, we can't rely on either of them going forward and Jamison must be hitting 30 anyway.
Our stock of tall players is abysmal, by far the worst in the AFL, and unless we can do something to address it in the next three or four seasons all the run and carry in the world won't win us games of football.
We should see if there are any takers for Henderson for starters, he's as good now as he's ever going to be and it's nothing flash, the rest of them aren't worth a zac between them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #84
I can't agree with you on hendo... We have zip KPP, so we get rid of the best one we have ?
And if we do draft one this year, he's unlikely to produce much for 2-4 years anyway.
Hendo must stay, play him wherever he best serves the team.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #85
Hendo HAS to be played at CHB I believe. We need to build our defence with the  injury and possible pending departure of Jamo and Hendo prefers to play back by all accounts. I just don't understand why this doesn't happen. If he settles there for the rest of the year and is successful he might even stay with us. All of a sudden our defence at least would start to look quite respectable and we could build on that.

Reply #86
Obviously the problem is that if Hendos playing chb then who is he kicking to ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #87
Obviously the problem is that if Hendos playing chb then who is he kicking to ?

Well we then have one problem to solve. Now we have two, one at each end of the ground.

Reply #88
After the bye the following guys will (should?)be available

Judd
Murphy
Gibbs
Jamison
Krooz
Byrne

Also, Henderson, Walker and Thomas should be able to contribute a bit more.

I'd also like to see KJ playing forward.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #89
It may not appear it on here, but I'm really an optimist about life in general, so it pains me when I write negative stuff about a football club that has been such a large part of my life for 62 years.
So I'm going to write a positive post.

I am POSITIVE, that, IF we had Judd, Murphy, Cripps, Gibbs, Simpson, Kruezer, Henderson, Casboult, Menzel, Everrit, Walker, Yarran, Thomas, and Jamieson, all hard fit and well, that's 14 players who at their top are and were terrific footballers, there is no doubt, that even with 8 passengers, we would give most teams a run for their money.

Our problem is, that most of them are either injured, or have lost the run, skill and some of the ability that they had as younger players, or are not playing with any heart or interest.

So unfortunately, as much as it pains me to say so, I am POSITIVE that we are in for a very long, hard and frustrating year.

When our supporters look at last nights results, and because we had  some better efforts from some players who are paid a fortune to play that way EVERY WEEK,  they feel that a ten goal thrashing was a good result, I am POSITIVE, that they are living in a Utopian fairyland and are prepared to accept mediocrity in  their football team.

On the other hand, I am a realist, who knows that we don't have the cattle to perform very much better than what we are, and all I hope is, that this season is a great learning curve for our younger brigade, Cripps, Menzel Buckley, etc. and lays the foundations for a POSITIVE future for the club.