Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24373 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #60
Most of what I saw has already been said.   So much the same,  so disappointing. Another two goal-less quarters.   Pathetic.

So much hype over blokes that are very average footballers at the end of the day.  Fasolo...MacGovern.... Meh.  Casboult is very limited but we aren't paying him 750 k to contribute F all. And he rucks. 

Chuck needs to ditch the white boots and start doing the basics,  like holding chest marks.

Been banging on about it for years, we need quality users  off half back to vastly improve and hasten our ball movement, which is criminally slow.   Losing Doc and Willo has been catastrophic.   I can see what they are doing with Garlett, but he lacks any assurance with ball in hand and is a panic merchant anyway.   I'd try SPS as a permanent in defence,  like so many others of our young midfielders he plays in spurts on ball,  which leads to opposition periods of dominance.   But at least in defense his ball use is incisive and he can tackle. As midfielders Dow, Walsh,  SPS,  Cunners ET AL play bits and pieces but none play full quarters let alone a full game. Where's the consistency?

Murphy is finished in an on ball role, caught too easily, Ed needs a simple tagging job as he ain't a smart player.   Fit and persistent yes,  smart no. Needs a see ball get ball hack it on role. Cost us four goals with brain freezes I reckon.

Weitering being shoe horned into a innapropriate role close to goal will ruin him. Did OK I thought but gees,  why can't we play him higher up the ground?  

Overall we're better than last year,   which means we're less  crap but still looking very much a bottom four side at best...  With bottom two a distinct possibility is Cripps misses games. All of which means Bolton is finished at this rate.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #61
Would anyone like to have a crack at actually defining ‘game plan’? Or, if not, maybe describe Richmond’s ‘game plan’, ‘system’, ‘brand’ or the like, compared to ours tonight? What were our deficiencies, in a ‘game plan’ sense? Who can usefully describe and set out any other team’s ‘game plan’?

It’s bullcrap, people. It’s vocabulary invented by the media and tolerated by coaches, but it means nothing. There might be vague plans for particular games, match-ups, moments, but no one has an overriding plan other than kicking more than the opposition. Please, let’s drop that talk.

I noticed that Richmond have tactics we dont.

They are better at using space than we are.

They are better at incidental knock ons to team mates because everyone knows that they are not necessarily going to take possession.   You can get lucky by design.

They aren't just banging in it into the forwards they hit up targets.

We are work in progress and were better able to manufacture space in the corridor but our final ball forward was often a bomb it and hope ball.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
Most of what I saw has already been said.   So much the same,  so disappointing. Another two goal-less quarters.   Pathetic.

So much hype over blokes that are very average footballers at the end of the day.  Fasolo...MacGovern.... Meh.  Casboult is very limited but we aren't paying him 750 k to contribute F all. And he rucks. 

Chuck needs to ditch the white boots and start doing the basics,  like holding chest marks.

Been banging on about it for years, we need quality users  off half back to vastly improve and hasten our ball movement, which is criminally slow.   Losing Doc and Willo has been catastrophic.   I can see what they are doing with Garlett, but he lacks any assurance with ball in hand and is a panic merchant anyway.   I'd try SPS as a permanent in defence,  like so many others of our young midfielders he plays in spurts on ball,  which leads to opposition periods of dominance.   But at least in defense his ball use is incisive and he can tackle. As midfielders Dow, Walsh,  SPS,  Cunners ET AL play bits and pieces but none play full quarters let alone a full game. Where's the consistency?

Murphy is finished in an on ball role, caught too easily, Ed needs a simple tagging job as he ain't a smart player.   Fit and persistent yes,  smart no. Needs a see ball get ball hack it on role. Cost us four goals with brain freezes I reckon.

Weitering being shoe horned into a innapropriate role close to goal will ruin him. Did OK I thought but gees,  why can't we play him higher up the ground?  

Overall we're better than last year,   which means we're less  crap but still looking very much a bottom four side at best...  With bottom two a distinct possibility is Cripps misses games. All of which means Bolton is finished at this rate.

I fear more than a a skerrick of truth here. We need to have some serious thoughts on how best to deploy the talent we now have. Yes I saw some improvements from last year but was disappointed overall, especially in that we could manage to be competitive for only half the game. We still look nervous and fumbly too often.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
I reckon we have the bulk of the pieces, although a few vital ones are missing, but some are not being utilised in their optimal role/position due to needs.... Or coaching bloodymindedness.

As an aside,  Cripps was described by MacAveney (a gushing, syncophantic commentator that I loathe)  as "herculean".  A more apt moniker I couldn't fathom.   Imagine if he was in a decent side,  the commentary would be Dusty-esque.

Reply #64
Tigers have pace, they have synergy, they have stability, they have skill, they have experience, they have runs on the board. They're not flag favourites for nothing.

A 6 goal loss is to be expected given the obvious disparity between the teams, across all areas.

Reply #65
In the 2nd and 3rd we looked assured.

In the 4th, they freaked, fumbled - as soon as I saw one of them go backwards I knew we were done for - no backing of themselves from there and no one wanting to take it on.

Murphy played great in the 3rd, couldn’t believe he got run down in the 4th - how can there be no awareness?

Thought SPS was super solid, I liked McGovern, feels like that one was winnable and worried that will set off another year of fizzing out when the heat is turned up!

Reply #66
And yes Tigers have a knack of pushing the ball forward - so many times I said that was Arsey - which means it’s not Arsey!

Also totally over seeing us knock it towards the opposition goals trying to get it to a player - never works and they get an advantage of us moving it closer to goal for them!  The junior basketball stuff!

Reply #67
......................... feels like that one was winnable and worried that will set off another year of fizzing out when the heat is turned up!

Have to disagree Micky0 - we never looked like winning, not even 2 goals down. Tigers were clearly in control the whole time.

Reply #68
Yep... Threw us a bone so they can get the  guaranteed four point game first up again next year.  Never in doubt.

Tigers are solid,  but no Rance... They'll be making up the numbers late in the year.   Wouldnt want to lose Nankervis either.

Reply #69
One positive from last night - no injuries. After our recent Annus horribilis, that's almost worth 4 points on its own.

Reply #70
Setterfield was one big plus for us.
24 disposals in 66% game time. Give him 100% game time and it's around 40 disposals.
Pretty good for a kid playing his 3rd senior game.

He will be a gun.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #71
Have to disagree Micky0 - we never looked like winning, not even 2 goals down. Tigers were clearly in control the whole time.

So when the tigs spent most of the third quarter trying to hack the ball out of their defense to anywhere but here they looked in total control? 

We must have been at different games.

I think we're a good chance to beat Port next week based on what I saw last night.

There seems to have been an expectation here that the 18th team from last year would beat the best team from last year.

Great to be passionate but really?

Reply #72
Setterfield was one big plus for us.
24 disposals in 66% game time. Give him 100% game time and it's around 40 disposals.
Pretty good for a kid playing his 3rd senior game.

He will be a gun.

Agree - I thought he was excellent. Made a couple of mistakes but the pressure was intense and looked composed most of the time. Super player in the making.

Reply #73
Took on the top team and beat them for disposals, clearances, smashed them in the centre clearances and tackles. With a team of relative kids.

Reply #74

BS.
Finals, then 4 in a row!