Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42212 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #75
Ok mate,
you tell me this.  Here is your chance am I'm eager for your opinion...

Why are we playing so badly?

We played badly in the last days of MM. Now we are building and are having small wins every week. The Dogs and the Saints weren't too different from us 5 minutes ago and look at them now. Proper process and patience has led to success on field. We will be a powerhouse club in 2-3 years no doubt.
In the mean time troll away to your hearts content.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #76
There was plenty of effort for the first half.

Saying otherwise is just a tanty.
I want I want I want.

Grow up.

Running around and chasing your opponents is not being competitive.
All that means, is that blinkered biased Carlton supporters who can't accept or face reality, will think that our team was "competitive".

All they achieved by doing that was keep in touch with GC for the first half.

Eventually, namely the second half, it took its toll. Hit a target with a handball and a kick, and you aren't running up and down the ground expending needless energy.

Even Bolton conceded that 11 goals that GC kicked were as a result of turnovers. I.E. skill errors.

At least he did say that if players aren't up to it, they will be cleared out at the end of the year.

I respect him for that.

He can see that they are no good.

Take a leaf out of his book., and your comments might gain some credibility.

Reply #77
Running around and chasing your opponents is not being competitive.
All that means, is that blinkered biased Carlton supporters who can't accept or face reality, will think that our team was "competitive".

All they achieved by doing that was keep in touch with GC for the first half.

Eventually, namely the second half, it took its toll. Hit a target with a handball and a kick, and you aren't running up and down the ground expending needless energy.

Even Bolton conceded that 11 goals that GC kicked were as a result of turnovers. I.E. skill errors.

At least he did say that if players aren't up to it, they will be cleared out at the end of the year.

I respect him for that.

He can see that they are no good.

Take a leaf out of his book., and your comments might gain some credibility.

3 games in to a rebuild.

Didn't hear Bolton squealing like a child.

He knows it takes time.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #78
When an 18 yr old in his first season is your bog... that just says so much about your club on so many levels...

And maybe, just maybe, BB believed McKay and others about some players at his disposal... yes it is a reset but boy when you learn that some of the experienced players at your disposal are not up to it...

Remember BB came with a Dawks culture and player standard understanding... now he's witnessing the polar opposite first hand.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #79
I'm not panicking.   We got the shot in the arm a new coach brings and got the benefits twice because we went with a care taker and then a newbie.

We have simply come back to earth again with a bit of a thud.

Slow ball movement isn't our issue.

The inability to hit targets (just like the last few years) hurts us more.

A couple of times we moved the ball end to end with a series of good passes only to resort to a kick to a two on three contest inside forward fifty.

It's a bit pedestrian,  but it's the issue of not playing enough true forwards.  

The second half drop off isn't a desire or ability or fitness issue.   it's a side who is worn down by working hard for little rewards inside fifty.  A side that doesn't believe it can win.  Probably because we miss the few easy chances to kick goals and then concede multiple goals in a row.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
I'm not convinced our fitness base is the problem. Our players just don't play intelligent footy. They don't run to the right positions and they don't make it easy for their team mates. When was the last time you saw Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell gut-running to cover turnovers or fast ball movement from the opposition? It just puts too much pressure on our defenders and causes the midfield to run out of gas.

I'm not convinced it's poor disposal half of the time either. it's the players up field not working together to create space and to present a clear target for our players to hit up. How often do we kick to a player that has one or two defenders hanging off them? They need to be smarter, work together, and create space for themselves.

Smart teams conserve energy and win games by being efficient.

I like this post. There's something in this IMO. A successful kick in general play needs both the kicker and receiver to know what to do. You can be the best kick in the world - if your intended target doesn't know how to receive a kick.............

It's very easy to blame the kicker all the time.

There's also a certain performance anxiety, a real inability to deal with close checking, gut running and pressure from the opposition. According to 1AW, everything works beautifully training, but clearly not in game.

Bolts echoed the general sentiments on here in his presser. Pleased with effort in the first 3q, not so much the 4th. Said 11 of their goals came from turnovers, which is almost all their score. Said the turnovers are a combination of poor skill and poor decision making.

EDIT : Bolts also mentioned that players not up to it will be moved on. A little Captain Obvious, but also a little startling to hear from a new coach so early in the season. Reckon he and SOS are already sharpening their John Neeman American Felling Axes for a serious workout at seasons end.

Reply #81

As for our coaching staff and I use the term coaching loosly, I ask what sort of a game plan is it when whomever kicks out after a behind is scored, has got no idea what to do, where there is no forward line structure or a plan to maximize forward entries as far as possinble, where handballs fall at the feet of players, and players cannot hit a target when they pass, and where, if the ball is turned over, our players look up, and there is not ONE forward who has been told to stay within the 50 metre attacking arc for just such an occurrence.

What the FK have they been doing for 5 months.

We face yet another long hard season ahead. And yes, I know it's a young team and we are rebuilding blah blah blah blah, but when you are paying players between 150 and 500 grand a year and they can't execute basic skills, then you have to say that the club is going nowhere, and forget about a 5 year rebuild, it will be more like ten.
[/b]

Saved me typing the same thing Bignic.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #82
Game 3 of a rebuild and peeps want wins away from home, against a red hot team in slippery conditions.

^^^ this

Funny people follow this club.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #83
I'm not convinced our fitness base is the problem. Our players just don't play intelligent footy. They don't run to the right positions and they don't make it easy for their team mates. When was the last time you saw Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell gut-running to cover turnovers or fast ball movement from the opposition? It just puts too much pressure on our defenders and causes the midfield to run out of gas.

I'm not convinced it's poor disposal half of the time either. it's the players up field not working together to create space and to present a clear target for our players to hit up. How often do we kick to a player that has one or two defenders hanging off them? They need to be smarter, work together, and create space for themselves.

Smart teams conserve energy and win games by being efficient.
By George I think he's got it!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #84
Remember Henderson & Menzel.
We also have the advantage of every other club seeing Waite, Betts, Garlett and Robinson at other clubs

We gave the latter away for nothing and let Mick replace them with peripheral plodders. No wonder we are so far behind. Mick has set us back 10 years. Thanks Swanny, and thanks Sticks.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #85
Is it just me or does cripps not look right.

Mentioned it before but seems to jog jog around the place and either can't run hard or refuses to.

I understand he is a inside player but his lack of defensive pressure and general ease that players get away from him is worrying. Amazing talent but just unsure why he won't run.

Also geez Murphy disappointed last night. 

He was pushed off the ball more then usual lacked any spark and player like it was still a NAB game. Looked underdone and dos interested.

Not what you want from a experienced player in a young rebuilding team. Definitely not what you want to see from your captain.

Weitering has to get the nomination for rising star this week. That's the only positive I could find.

Reply #86
We gave the latter away for nothing and let Mick replace them with peripheral plodders. No wonder we are so far behind. Mick has set us back 10 years. Thanks Swanny, and thanks Sticks.

F*** this again?!

For tha bazillionth time, why is there no $hit slung at Andy McKay?

Reply #87
AND, if I hear Bolton say, "it's a learning process" or "it's a fkn journey" one more time, I'll throw up.

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing it.

I want him to be honest and say, "we are not up to it, our skill level is non fkn  existent, and I'm sorry to say this to the 47,000 people who have parted with their hard earned to buy a membership, but it's going to be a long hard year."

Yeah, blame the list after 3 rounds of football. Great idea, maybe we can then turn these 10 goals losses into 20 goal losses and replace the coach in 6 months time. Seriously stupid stuff right there.

Back the coach in, he has little to work with. When the majority of your senior core are frauds there is not too much you can do about it. Gibbs and Murphy must trade at years end.

Did anyone see that bit of play in the first term where first Murphy and then Gibbs were released into space on their left sides but could not make it work because they have no fking left foot. Both had to stop, prop, and then wheel around hence stalling the attack. That's what we have, two blokes that have had it so easy they never even bothered to develop a left foot. Just pathetic.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #88
F*** this again?!

For tha bazillionth time, why is there no $hit slung at Andy McKay?

Him too bro, if he oversaw the whole thing then he is no doubt also to blame and should go.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #89
Is it just me or does cripps not look right.

Mentioned it before but seems to jog jog around the place and either can't run hard or refuses to.

Played with a big corky last two weeks.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!