Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42212 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #105
Graham - Does nice things but drifts out of the game too much, his lack of pace and size hurts too. Still has time but I'm guessing this is about as good as it will get.

You're writing off one of the few players that has improved over the last 9 months, after just 17 games, and saying he can improve no more? He's getting his hands on the ball at least 20 times a game and he can use it. If he's drifting out of the game, imagine what he can do when he stops drifting.

Agree with the rest of what you wrote but this is just crazy stuff.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #106
The sooner Murphy is replaced as captain the better, we will go no where with him leading the way.

Forget about replacing as captain, let's trade the fraud. Probably has a cool 3 million sitting in his bank account, all for masquerading as a skilful mid for the last 10 years.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #107
@ Raydan
Great post and you are 100% right, we are coming from a long way back, no doubt. I just didnt expect to see some of the "old" Carlton in our game. As you say, we have a new coaching panel who have come in and explained the way they want the game played. They have discussed it in meeting rooms and practiced it on the track for almost 6 months. The plan requires alot of on field direction from the leaders. Did you see Ablett telling players what to do, directing traffic? He was doing it constantly. Do you see our leaders do it? I say no. Simmo does it a little bit but these days, its more of a sook and berate rather than being instructional. They either don't get the plan and structures that are required or a too timid to say anything. I would expect someone like Jamo to be directing the defenders and controlling the back line. I see nothing like it, I would expect Murphy to be in the faces of the midfielders telling them what to do. I would expect Casboult directing his fwd line. I see none of this. This lack of onfield direction by the leaders translates to losing the shapes and turnovers or poor decisions. This is the disappointing thing for me right now. I didnt expect a win, but I want to see some improvement in areas I mentioned in my first post in this thread. It will take time no doubt, we are but 3 games into what is a very long road for us. BB needs to quickly find on field generals who will ensure his message is delivered.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
You're writing off one of the few players that has improved over the last 9 months, after just 17 games, and saying he can improve no more? He's getting his hands on the ball at least 20 times a game and he can use it. Agree with the rest of what you wrote but this is just crazy stuff.

Haven't written him off, but I don't think he will get much better than what we see now. I hope I'm wrong, but all these comparisons to Mitchell are off the mark, as I said in my posts before mids hunt the ball, Nick seems to get around the ball. It's weird but even in Cripps' first season you could see the vision and the hands. I remember saying that his brain works faster than his skills allow, because he almost had it.

With Graham I think everything is there already, he'll improve with the team but he's a role player not a star.

Reply #109
If you can't see the structure and fluency we have with and without the ball then I give up talking football with people.

When we win the ball, we have loose players, chains of handballs, run and spread, it's just that we have too many players who a dumb enough to pick the right target or not good enough to execute.

Our fitness is suffering as we are very much competitive for most of the game, but when we get chances at goals we fluff them. Must hurt.

Last night was not good, but Gold Coast are 3-0 and will be tough to win up there.

Stay the course, if you can't see the improvement in the way we play, then follow something else. We need to start bringing In many of the guys mentioned to see what they can do, because good players are like Jacob Weitering.

I feel sorry for him alreadyz
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #110
Haven't written him off, but I don't think he will get much better than what we see now. I hope I'm wrong, but all these comparisons to Mitchell are off the mark, as I said in my posts before mids hunt the ball, Nick seems to get around the ball. It's weird but even in Cripps' first season you could see the vision and the hands. I remember saying that his brain works faster than his skills allow, because he almost had it.

With Graham I think everything is there already, he'll improve with the team but he's a role player not a star.

Absolutely he wont be a star but he'll certainly be a player and has plenty of upside. Has things most of our list doesn't have.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #111
Absolutely he wont be a star but he'll certainly be a player and has plenty of upside. Has things most of our list doesn't have.

Like ability?  :P

Reply #112

That's what my wife said about me.... :)

Reply #113
We stayed in it while Gold Coast were playing like crap but when they got their act together it was all over.
Honestly, watching Carlton play is like having teeth pulled.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #115
When we win the ball, we have loose players, chains of handballs, run and spread, it's just that we have too many players who a dumb enough to pick the right target or not good enough to execute.

We do, we seemed to have learned that, however we have no plan B when it was stopped and in the second half, GC pushed a couple of half backs up to make a wall, put some pressure on and our lack of skill showed out. That's why we went back to the long bomb so often as there seemed to be no 2nd option. When the players thought, which they did a couple of times mostly when Weitering had it they worked the ball around and picked their way through it.

BTW Whiley is the new Thornton! I'd like to see his meters gained stat becuase if it's not a minus Champion data will lose all credibility.

Reply #116
I don't understand the unexpected doom and gloom on here. We are a bottom team, we are rebuilding, we have a new system, new coach and nearly half the list is new, and we are coming from a low, low base.

There is a reason why Weitering was seen as our BOG, cause he can actually play! People point out our number 1 picks, as Taylor did last night on the broadcast, but look at the number of rookies on the list too. These were players overlooked as they had flaws in their game and when the pressure is on they can crumble.

Jammo, Rowe (rookied by Sydney), Touhy, Byrne, Casboult, Wright, Ed Curnow, Phillips. We are missing the tale teen early 20 picks from the last decade that normally will make up a big chunk of a side.

I will look at the young players and how they perform this year, because expecting a win is beyond all possibilities. I said before the season started these is a real chance that we could go 0-8 straight up, hopefully we do well against Essendon and maybe pinch one from Collingwood.

Cripps - Not right, these has been some voices saying his knee is not right, or it may have been the corky from last week but he still did better ythan a lot on the ground, he's just marked at a high level now.

Weitering - A third gamer that is just awesome. When he makes a mistake, it's a surprise. Just imagine how good he'll be in a few years time, controlling the backline, swapping opponents with Plowman and Glass-McCasker (steps on my rookie argument, I know).

Charlie Curnow - Wow, improved heaps from his first game, looked more comfortable in the game and his kick on goal in the first looked composed. I see him as a forward who will pinch hit in the mid field rather that a mid, he moves and thinks like a forward, where a mid will hunt the ball, Charlie seems to look ahead and gets to a position where the ball may go.

Boekhurst - A lot to like this year but still a way to go. Good disposal and seem confident with the ball this year, needs a bit less selfishness and a lot more chase, but I liked what I saw of his mistake in the first half, kicked the ball long but got back and marked the returning pass, where last year his head would have dropped and the ball gone. He needs to make it as I have a feeling that he will be all that's left of the trade from 2014 with both Whiley and Jacksh gone at seasons end.

Graham - Does nice things but drifts out of the game too much, his lack of pace and size hurts too. Still has time but I'm guessing this is about as good as it will get.

Buckley - What does Dylan actually do well? He can run swiftly, but does he lay tackles? He can kick well but when you only touch the ball a few times a game what does it matter? Is he too small to be a back pocket? I don't know if he'll make it, at the moment I'd have to say no.

Kerridge - Worst game in navy blue. Missed targets and goals, didn't lay his normal amount of tackles either or pressure on the body. Hopefully will bonce back.

We had a 6 day break after playing hardened team, travelled to a warm humid ground, against a fast, skillful, inform team. They had two very good forward options Lynch and Martin that should both push for AA this season. Give a lot of other isdes the same conditions and they come up short too.

It's fine to call for people to be dropped, but who havbe we got to replace them. Rowe and Jammo both deserve to be dropped next week, but we have White, undersized (a possible Stringer opponent) Plowman, coming back of injury and needs to find touch and fitness in the VFL. Glass McCasker who didn't even get a practice match.

Do we drop Gibbs and bring in Clem Smith, V-Rainbow or Cunningham? Do we actually think this will help the team in the long run? Cause I doubt it will help now.
All excellent points Raydan.
I'm starting to wonder if the website should change its name to the Cripps and Weitering supporters club!
The next 2 weeks don't look promising - Dogs in round 4 followed by Freo in Perth in round 5. Then in round 6 we have the bombers, as this is our best chance to notch up a win we might need to do the unthinkable and rest Cripps so that in round 6 he's ready to go at 100%.

Reply #117

Graham hasn't had too many opportunities to show what he can do, but it isn't obvious what his standout ability is. League level players need to have a trick or a skill. Graham is undersized, without electric pace. His disposal is good, but he will have to improve his ability to use that disposal to put a team mate to advantage more often.

Buckly is a worry. He seemed to set up as a defensive forward but often trailed his opponent. Saad (i think it was) ran off him off the wing at one stage to run through the middle and create a goal.  It was sloppy and smacked of lost concentration. In his fifth season so needs to make a big leap if he is to have a future.

Really liked charlie curnow. He gets to the right spots and gets seperation from his opponent to give his team mates an option. Oh and he can kick at league standard, i.e. low flat and fast. Our future spine is riding on last year's draft, but there is a lot to like so far. 2 potential KP players of high standard at each end.

Reply #118
Graham lacks a yard of pace and lacks the instant vision of the class slow mids ie Mitchell, Diesel....he takes a long look before he gets rid of the footy and gets tackled.
His skills by hand and foot are ok IMO and he can hit a target but unless he can get rid of the footy quicker he will be always be promising but never quite there...

However if we had Josh Kennedy and a Jake Stringer down forward you look more cohesive and those players demand the footy more which makes players like Graham thought process more simple....at the moment he looks up and its a dogs breakfast in terms of moving quality targets and I can understand why he would be hesitant to release the ball....

Reply #119
BTW Whiley is the new Thornton! I'd like to see his meters gained stat becuase if it's not a minus Champion data will lose all credibility.

Whiley, Graham, Wright and Kerridge are all fairly pedestrian, Murphy and Cripps are are only two quality mids which is way too few.
Curnow was probably our best last night but he rarely hurts sides, Weitering was good as well and Cripps' second half was very good, Touhy was OK but that's about where it finishes.
Of the rest there were just way too many basic skill errors, even Cripps missed the target by hand a couple of times.
It's going to be painful to watch if Bolton is going to implement the Hawthorn style of high possession numbers and accurate skills, until we can pick up three or four players who can execute them.
The less said about our front six the better, the fact that Liam Jones can't force his way into what is a dysfunctional attack shows what a poor recruiting decision he was.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.