Skip to main content
Topic: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks (Read 45053 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R13 : Carlton drowned by the Hawks

Reply #75
Same old story when it come to crucial shots at goal. Waite, Gibbs, Watson etc have just got to nail them.

Speaking of Watson, what a liability. He's killing us. McLean is junk. Just treads water and that's it.

Happy with Murph, Gibbs, Casboult, Judd games.

But the usual overall haphazard effort. Tired of it.

Reply #76
I switched off after Brock kicked it into a Hawks player in the middle when we we steaming  forward. Seriously the game has gone past him.  Absolutely crapmyself  everything it goes near him. He has no follow up due to lack of pace.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #77
Judd's presence, it's fair to say,  may have won us as much as 3 of the games we've lost this year. he's not the captain in title but no mistake, when he's on the ground, he's the captain of the side.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #78
Judd's presence, it's fair to say,  may have won us as much as 3 of the games we've lost this year. he's not the captain in title but no mistake, when he's on the ground, he's the captain of the side.

Maybe, but we were playing absolute puss.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #79

All I can say is you f&*kin' ar5ehole Watson. Get the f^&k out of my club. F&*kin' hack!
Perfectly put.
Seriously, f*ck off you fat headed waste of space!

Slow, awareness is woeful and for someone who apparently has a good kick on him he's not very precise. Big kick maybe but good? nope, sh*t house.

On a positive note, Sammy Rowe playing down back. I'm enjoying a big slice of humble pie right about now because I thought this was another experiment that won't pay off. Good on ya Sammy, you've really come a long way!

Reply #80
Hawthorn kicked 8 of the last 10 goals in the match, fairly telling stat.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #81

Maybe, but we were playing absolute puss.

Yep true.  :(

― Mark Twain

Reply #82
Watson can't be defended with the "But he hasn't played since round 1" excuse. 'cos he was just as bad in round 1. Papers stamped, it's all over for Matthew.

Warnock's last quarter was disgraceful btw....it's not like he was sprinting down the wings all game. Fancy running out of puff when he hardly runs in the first place. As EB1 said, Levi having to cover for Warnock in the ruck really hurt us.

Pretty sure Simmo was on Brad Hill for a lot of the first half & got slaughtered.

Amazing how 2 of our more maligned shots for goal in Robbo & Levi kicked 7 straight between them, whilst 3 of our better kicks in Docherty, Menzel & Watson all miss deadset sodas. Based on tonight's result, I'd say the Robbo as a permanent/semi-permanent forward worked a treat.

How good is Chris Judd.....yet again. Thought Murphy had a sloppy stinker of a game. He worked hard, but generally, he was poison with ball in his hands.

Hats of to Sam Rowe, who I thought was easily one of our best. With confidence, his composure has improved out of sight. He now picks the right occasion to either mark or spoil, his kicking is pretty sound & he's a really impressive physical competitor.

Really, apart from about 45 mins of football, Hawthorn dealt with us rather soundly....*sigh*. The rest of this season is gonna suck......I'm not looking forward to the pain.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #83
PII2C... watch the tape... so many slow, high, loopy kicks to contests that we invariably lost.  Dreadful from a senior player who should know better.  I counted at least 8 of them.  Plus an awful F50 at a blokes feet, plus the sloppy handball.

If you kick short you kick it hard flat and fast you don't lob it on a spot and invite a bloke to come in and kill the marking attempt.

Absolutely spot on Professer E. Though it wouldn't be picked up by those watching the game on TV, Carrazzo takes an eternity to dispose of the ball & in doing so, has rendered some good options upfield as utterly useless by the time he gets to making a decision to kick the damn thing & even then, as you correctly said, his kicks are high & loopy = totally ineffective.

I'll take Curnow over Carrazzo anyday of the week.

Mate did not attend the game but I'll guarantee you we lose by a lot more without Carrazzo in the side. 32 touches both inside and out with 80+ % efficiency and 1 clanger. 9 score involvements has him with equal most on ground as well as 15 pressure acts, up there with the best. You guys see that one error and judge his game on it, delusion is not a strong enough word, he held us together last night. If 7-8 of his kicks were looping and slow that leaves 24 great disposals, better than average across the AFL.

You look at someone like Baggers that says we can't play blokes like Graham because they're not ready and would ruin the club's culture but then wants Carrazzo to hang up the boots. I have never heard of someone being told to hang up the boots after 32 touches and a host of other stats like that, pretty much BOG. Just a stupid comment.

I don't think some of you really know what you want, but on that performance, Carrazzo is light years ahead of most of our list.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #84
Watson can't be defended with the "But he hasn't played since round 1" excuse. 'cos he was just as bad in round 1. Papers stamped, it's all over for Matthew.

Warnock's last quarter was disgraceful btw....it's not like he was sprinting down the wings all game. Fancy running out of puff when he hardly runs in the first place. As EB1 said, Levi having to cover for Warnock in the ruck really hurt us.

Pretty sure Simmo was on Brad Hill for a lot of the first half & got slaughtered.

Amazing how 2 of our more maligned shots for goal in Robbo & Levi kicked 7 straight between them, whilst 3 of our better kicks in Docherty, Menzel & Watson all miss deadset sodas. Based on tonight's result, I'd say the Robbo as a permanent/semi-permanent forward worked a treat.

How good is Chris Judd.....yet again. Thought Murphy had a sloppy stinker of a game. He worked hard, but generally, he was poison with ball in his hands.

Hats of to Sam Rowe, who I thought was easily one of our best. With confidence, his composure has improved out of sight. He now picks the right occasion to either mark or spoil, his kicking is pretty sound & he's a really impressive physical competitor.

Really, apart from about 45 mins of football, Hawthorn dealt with us rather soundly....*sigh*. The rest of this season is gonna suck......I'm not looking forward to the pain.....

I really thought we lost the game rather than the Hawks winning it. Too, too many cheap, basic coock ups...... amateur hour by way too many of our lads, Captain Murphy included. How many goals did we gift them and then miss at the other end too?  A dozen odd?

Were way too slow to move the ball too - again.l Why..... I haVE NO IDEA.......you don't beat a good side playing that style of game.

Judd, Rowe, Levi, Robbo excellent - the rest - soft. Again.

Hendo/Jamo even on one leg would have offered more than Watson.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #85
Difference between defending someone and not hanging them... The reality is that if you pull a guy out of the 2nds mid season he might struggle. Another reality is that players can settle in to a position and grow in confidence if given time.

Reply #86
The boys certainly worked hard, but just can't do anything (apart from that first goal) with any ease or efficiency. Everything seems slow and labored. And the class difference clearly showed. Won the CP, won the tackles, double the inside 50 marks, just can't kick those clutch goals, which the better teams can.

My thoughts on a few players :

Rowe : thought he did pretty well given the class difference between him and Roughy.
2E  - a bit scratchy, but form is improving.
White - barely sighted
Simmo - ok, but not brilliant
Gibbs - 15 contested possessions (more than any other player), kicked a goal, can still skirt the packs with the best of them, and looks fabulous. The kid can do it all. Good game.
Murph - he gives up a fair bit in weight and size on his opponents, and gets whacked behind the umpires back week in week out. A grade effort, but disposal was a bit off last night.
Carrots - never been the best disposer of the footy, but his value doesn't rest solely on that. We are a better team with him there. A terrific tagger and I thought he had a very good game.
Judd - great comeback game, and seeing a bit of speed in those legs was a real treat. Don't know what we'll do when he retires. The look on his face walking off at games end was tragic.
206 - not great tonight.
Brock - seems to be struggling at the moment - I can't work out where he fits in or what Mick wants him to do. Seems all at sea.
1AW - speaking of all at sea, what's up with Walks ? DOA, if you're around, give us some insight.
Menzel - very good game apart from the missed goal. After a recent drought in sales for the No2 guernsey, reckon the manufacturers will have to ready themselves for a sales spike. Can see him being very popular with the kiddies.
Watto - I feel sorry for him. Thought he got better as the game went on.
Yazz - unsighted - thought we got the "lazy Yazz" tonight, apart from a couple of tackles.
Docherty - meh
Everitt - still not seeing the love for this guy. Average for mine.

Reply #87
If someone had said at the start of the year that when we play the premiers Casboult will kick 4 and we'll line Rowe up on Roughead you would have had them locked up as a loon.

Both players are growing in confidence and look like they belong.
I'm particularly impressed by Rowe. He was clearly outpointed by Hawkins last week but kept persisting and did some good things in the second half of the Geelong game. 
It was a clear contrast to poor Watson who just completely lost confidence after some early mistakes last night.
Watson's problem is that he's just too slow at that level..... Not just in his body movements but also in his thinking. He just doesn't do the instinctive things, and when he does act quickly he usually makes a mess of it.

You can never be satisfied or happy after a loss.
....but I'm not too disappointed.
They had some players out, but we also had some out.
When we were 0-4 a lot of us were complaining about not seeing any improvement
Well over the last couple of weeks I think we are starting to see a few signs.

What we do have is a large number of players who are still underdone in terms of fitness.
...and that can only mean better performances ahead as that situation improves.

Reply #88
Rowes form since going back, is similar to Henderson when he was shifted to back line. Rapid rise in form .

― Mark Twain

Reply #89
I'm particularly impressed by Rowe. He was clearly outpointed by Hawkins last week but kept persisting and did some good things in the second half of the Geelong game.

Rowe was fantastic, he just dropped a few marks he worked really hard to get into the right position to take but overall easily in our best.

Quote from: lods
When we were 0-4 a lot of us were complaining about not seeing any improvement
Well over the last couple of weeks I think we are starting to see a few signs.

Agree again, pity we dropped the games we should have won and performances like this one would mean a lot more. Only concerning thing is that Judd and Carrazzo (along with a few others), soon to hang up the boots, pretty much ran the game for us.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!