Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 5060 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #90
Difference btw round 1 and 14

Sam Durdin (Oscar McDonald)
Matthew Cottrell (Will Setterfield)
Sam Walsh (Adam Cerra)
Lachie Plowman (Mitch McGovern)
Jack Newnes (Marc Pittonet)
Lewis Young (Jacob Weitering)
Jordan Boyd (Zac Williams)
Sub   
Dow/Fog/Setters/Kemp (Tom Williamson)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
Jack has Balta covered and the latter will be missed in defence.

I'm a lot more confident now that Dusty and Soldo are out.  I think we'll get the job done but I would be more confident if we had Kemp or Stocker in the 22 in place of Boyd ... who will probably play a blinder now  ::)

Sam Durdin reminds of that other Sam; Rowe, who did a great job even if most supporters had their hearts in their mouths every time he got near the pill  :o 

Reckon Balta will play forward like in his previous game and ruck for 5 -10 mins a quarter only, Tigers will go with Tarrant, Grimes and Gibcus down back with Broad the floater. Harry has a real advantage in height providing we can get it down forward in a decent fashion. You would think Young will get Lynch and Plowman might get Reiwoldt...Balta doesnt really have a matchup unless our Jack was to follow him around but the Richmond player is about 3 yards quicker than any of our defenders and for that reason I dont see S.Durdin playing on him and I'm struggling to see a direct opponent other than Lynch for S.Durdin especially with Soldo now out and no resting true ruckman other than Nank who will ruck most of the game..

Reply #92
EB....reckon we just have to play to our strengths which is in the midfield and our tall forwards. We never really seemed to get into top gear last week through the middle against Essendon but got a feeling Voss will have them up and going tonight, especially for Crippa's 150th.

Reply #93
I know that the MCG has incredible drainage but Vossy should mandate long stops tonight.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #94
During a broadcast game, BT asked a recently retired player who was a co-commentator or boundary rider why players weren’t ordered to wear boots with long stops and he was flummoxed when he was told they don’t exist. The recently retired player claimed they all wear moulded stops and that’s it. Can’t comment from my own experience. Like most, I only own 1 pair and they’re moulded. But I’m not a professional player.

Reply #95
During a broadcast game, BT asked a recently retired player who was a co-commentator or boundary rider why players weren’t ordered to wear boots with long stops and he was flummoxed when he was told they don’t exist. The recently retired player claimed they all wear moulded stops and that’s it. Can’t comment from my own experience. Like most, I only own 1 pair and they’re moulded. But I’m not a professional player.

A quick Google search produced many football boots with screw in stops.  Some are metal and wouldn’t be permitted. 

There are also moulded sole boots with longer stops.

I guess it will depend on the boot contract.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
EB....reckon we just have to play to our strengths which is in the midfield and our tall forwards. We never really seemed to get into top gear last week through the middle against Essendon but got a feeling Voss will have them up and going tonight, especially for Crippa's 150th.

I sensed a fair degree of frustration from Vossy last game re our clearance domination ( or lack of it) and he didn't seem that impressed by the fact that we made up by winning based on turnovers.  I suspect we will be back to our more familiar style v the Tiggers. Cripps was more positive though in saying that we added another dimension to our game. Be interesting.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #97
Screw ins are less common these days, but they also have hybrids.

Some with moulded and studs that screw in.  About 50-50 split.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
Garry Lyon is extremely bullish about our chances both for this game and for the rest if the year. I dont quite share his optimism but he was up and about talking about us this morning on SEN. For perspective, he talked about need superstars to be successful, he said we have:
Curnow
McKay
Weitering
Cripps
Walsh
There's 5 straight off the bat. He then spoke glowingly of our contested ball work, clearance work and transition from defence to attack (which he referred to as elite).

If we add:
Saad
Doc
George
Kennedy
Cerra
TDK
Who are all high quality

Then there are emerging ones like:
Young
Durdin
Owies
Fisher
When you look at it like that coupled with a revitalised coaching group, Lyon was right in saying "there is no limit with Carlton".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #99
We used to be able to 'bank' milestone games.   Hope we can get back to those days! Do it for Crippa!

Reply #100
GTC....on 2022 form alone, I'd move Doc up into that "star" category. He's on track for AA selection which is nothing short of incredible given where he's come from.

Reply #101
GTC....on 2022 form alone, I'd move Doc up into that "star" category. He's on track for AA selection which is nothing short of incredible given where he's come from.
Sure, I was merely quoting Lyon's 5 superstars.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #102
I came across the same thing a couple months ago when i was buying my little one his first pair of boots.

I saw them selling some replacement stops (which i explained to the missus what they were for) and then proceeded to try and find some boots that had them. Nothing.

There is a million different types and styles, but couldn't find long stops in the whole store.

Reply #103
Sure, I was merely quoting Lyon's 5 superstars.

Absolutely. He is a A grader and would the first picked in any team. Amazing leader who is also just so consistent week in week out.

Reply #104
Fogarty sub?
2024... Moir of the same to come