Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24868 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #30
I was disappointed with the result but not really surprised; Wet Toast are on top of the live ladder, have an impressive list and are well coached.  However, consistent umpiring could have seen us in with chance.

For me, today was a glimpse of the future with Harry McKay booting 4 goals, Patrick Cripps playing a great captain’s game (after an unimpressive effort last game) and Charlie Curnow, Fisher, Dow, O’Brien, Samo, SOJ and Garlett all contributing. Phillips did OK too.

Jones was back to his best and Rowe did well for an underdone key defender (who was it who said we had too many tall defenders? ???? )

Last of all, I want to acknowledge Bolts who showed that he is head and shoulders above the so-called footy experts (how does Jonathan Brown get to criticise someone’s expression?) and can get the most out of a young, inexperienced list.

There’s a long way to go but at least we’re on the right track.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
I'm stoked to be proven wrong. I thought we'd get smashed.  ::)
Can't say enough about the leadership shown tonight. Our backs looked organized. Holding WC with the addition of Kennedy to <100 is a 2018 achievement I'm happy to take.
Crippa led our young mids in a Judd-like manner. Even our forward line looked organized. I loved big Harry's performance supported by Levi, who threw his weight around nicely. Phillips did a great job against the league's best.
Great team effort. If that's what we stand for - count me in.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #32
Sigh, .... Didn't see or hear any of the game but it sounds like we've saved all our best efforts for a team we shouldn't be able to beat rather than the the ones we should. Very frustrating.  :(

Reply #33
I was disappointed with the result but not really surprised; Wet Toast are on top of the live ladder, have an impressive list and are well coached.  However, consistent umpiring could have seen us in with chance.

For me, today was a glimpse of the future with Harry McKay booting 4 goals, Patrick Cripps playing a great captain’s game (after an unimpressive effort last game) and Charlie Curnow, Fisher, Dow, O’Brien, Samo, SOJ and Garlett all contributing. Phillips did OK too.

Jones was back to his best and Rowe did well for an underdone key defender (who was it who said we had too many tall defenders? ???? )

Last of all, I want to acknowledge Bolts who showed that he is head and shoulders above the so-called footy experts (how does Jonathan Brown get to criticise someone’s expression?) and can get the most out of a young, inexperienced list.

There’s a long way to go but at least we’re on the right track.

Going back to they style we know best helped. We may have tried to take it a step too far the way we tried to alter our game plan.

Reply #34
Lot better effort ????

Reply #35
How often do you see top 3 players in a game from the team who came 2nd?
Great effort.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36
Going back to they style we know best helped. We may have tried to take it a step too far the way we tried to alter our game plan.

It looks like that's exactly what we did. It's a long road we're on and we will make mistakes but it looks like we've got back on track.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
How often do you see top 3 players in a game from the team who came 2nd?
Great effort.

Yes, Eagles only played 20 min good footy, all in red time of qtrs.

Reply #38
Plowman's last 2 weeks have been ordinary - he's a much better player than that.

Agree to disagree......no poise whatsoever, absolute panic-merchant, makes bad decisions & his disposal is fair at best. How he got picked @ #3 in any draft, words fail me. Just a plodder at best, give me a fix Alex Silvagni over that spud any day of the week.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #39
Coulda been worse, Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
Agree to disagree......no poise whatsoever, absolute panic-merchant, makes bad decisions & his disposal is fair at best. How he got picked @ #3 in any draft, words fail me. Just a plodder at best, give me a fix Alex Silvagni over that spud any day of the week.

Yes, I noticed you've had him in your gun sights the last few weeks. He finished 7th in our B+F last year, which I accept doesn't mean much to some folks.

At any rate, I've seen him play some very good games.

And I'm a big Alex Silvagni fan.

Reply #41
Yes, Eagles only played 20 min good footy, all in red time of qtrs.

Indeed. Q1,2,3. To our credit (although game was won) we took the red time honors Q4.
Lots of very encouraging signs.
Looked to me like Our boys came to play tonight, and did so leading by example. It started with Jonesy's clean spoils. He's the master of 1%
Henry Ford.

Reply #42

100% spot on, the change in gameplan was clearly obvious.....it may not net us many goals, but geez it limits what the opposition can achieve on the scoreboard. Liam Jones is clearly comfortable with it....a much more accountable game from him.

Lots of positives for a nice change, but O’Shea, Garlett & Plowman yet again failed dismally. 5 mins in the 3rd quarter cost us, but geez some of the decisions our blokes make at times.....the mind boggles @ how plain dumb some of their decisions are ????

Reply #43
Yes, I noticed you've had him in your gun sights the last few weeks. He finished 7th in our B+F last year, which I accept doesn't mean much to some folks.

At any rate, I've seen him play some very good games.

Shows you how well we’ve been travelling if he can finish in the top 10 of a B&F......

Reply #44
100% spot on, the change in gameplan was clearly obvious.....it may not net us many goals, but geez it limits what the opposition can achieve on the scoreboard. Liam Jones is clearly comfortable with it....a much more accountable game from him.

Lots of positives for a nice change, but O’Shea, Garlett & Plowman yet again failed dismally. 5 mins in the 3rd quarter cost us, but geez some of the decisions our blokes make at times.....the mind boggles @ how plain dumb some of their decisions are ????

They were certainly our weakest links today imo.

Btw, I'm normally critical of Kerridge but today I thought his game was OK - certainly better and more solid than when I last saw him play seniors.
Reality always wins in the end.