Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 51252 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #150
I didn't see the game, perhaps fortunately!

But stats do tell some sort of a story. The worm says we were in it for about a half, but we had 3 separate periods where they really got on top of us, 1 for a whole qtr that cost us 6 goals!

It's games like this where I an not worried about the kids, they will always have their ups and downs in their early stages, it's the senior players I am looking at in games like this.

When a team goes missing for a whole qtr, that tells me there is a problem with our on field leadership. At no stage did/could no one rally the troups and put an end to the run on that Port had. That's a problem.

If I recall correctly, Bolts has come out and said that we want to be known for our effort, consistency and pressure. My question is where was any of that in the 3rd qtr? for the whole qtr ??

The HUN has a stat for pressure acts that I have not yet seen, but my next favorite stat, tackles, tells a telling story. 11 of our players (half our side) were only able to lay 7 tackles between them, 7.
And they weren't all kids either, Murphy our captain, Docherty in our leadeship group, Wright and White, both senior players are in that group.

Now Bolts, tell me what kind of effort and pressure did they give throughout the whole game?

Not good enough.
Port laid 30 more tackles than us which was disappointing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #151
@ Amers

Mate, I think BB is becoming all too painfully aware of where the roots of our problems lie. End of year will be "interesting times" if things continue like this.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #152
Going back to 2005 Port beat Hawthorn by 117pts on a Friday night. The Hawks side contained the likes of Lewis, Mitchell, Roughead, Hodge, Franklin, Sewell, Crawford, Bateman, Osborne, Ladson, Croad, Williams all of who went on to play in the 2008 premiership side a few years later.

Back in 2011 Carlton smashed Gold Coast by 119 points on a saturday night.
The gold coast side contained D. Swallow, Bennell, Day, Caddy, Prestia, Gorringe, Lynch, Tape (all top 13 players) along with Brownlow medalist Gary Ablett, premiership player Campbell Brown, All-Australian Nathan Bock....
A few years later, they are still crap. A few years after that, they are worse.

Reply #153
Back in 2011 Carlton smashed Gold Coast by 119 points on a saturday night.
The gold coast side contained D. Swallow, Bennell, Day, Caddy, Prestia, Gorringe, Lynch, Tape (all top 13 players) along with Brownlow medalist Gary Ablett, premiership player Campbell Brown, All-Australian Nathan Bock....
A few years later, they are still crap. A few years after that, they are worse.

I think you're smart enough to get my point.

Reply #154
Their futures are virtually tied together.
Succeed and they will reap and deserve all the credit as a group.
Fail... and it will be a collective blame.

They've set the course and have to stay true to it.

Bolton will take the fall before any of the others, of this I am certain. And not just  because he's senior coach.

Reply #155
Bolton will take the fall before any of the others, of this I am certain. And not just  because he's senior coach.

Unless some crazy, trigger happy billionaire doesn't like the way things are going and thinks he can do a better job of running the place ;) ;D

Reply #156
Unless some crazy, trigger happy billionaire doesn't like the way things are going and thinks he can do a better job of running the place ;) ;D

Ah yes - an all too familiar type around Princes Park. I believe this type has now been banished from the kingdom.

Reply #157
I think you're smart enough to get my point.

I hope you're smart enough to get mine.

You pointed out the exception, not the rule.

Reply #159
I hope you're smart enough to get mine.

You pointed out the exception, not the rule.

i'm not going to bogged the thread down in crap like you're prone to do at times. Just pointing out how things can change with a very young side within a few years. That Hawthorn side was an exception too in relation to class yet had to go through the same pain rebuilding.  They finished 3rd last that year, 2pts ahead of us. Ended up a super side down the track. I'm sure St.Kilda went through crap early 2000s to and made 2 GFs, GWS had similar to what GC had and look at them. Maybe GC were the exception! Actually they weren't but the 2005 Hawks weren't an exception either, just exceptional. Goes both ways.

Reply #160
It was a terribly disappointing effort regardless of how many kids we played.
There was one small period of the game where we had 5 deliberate shots on goal for 5 points at a time when we were well behind but having the better of play, what small glimmer of hope there was was snuffed out then and there.
We have a losing mentality and I doubt that the players went into last night honestly expecting to win the game, that will be the hardest thing to turn around.
I seemed to remember that Phillips could play a bit but he didn't look remotely like a footballer last night, in fact his game was Hampsonesque in parts.
Armfield should have played, I've never rated him very highly but he's quick and tough and he would have been handy, he should get a game against Sydney.
Polson didn't look anywhere near ready for senior footy and Weitering looks less than enthusiastic, I'll be surprised if he's still at Carlton in three years from now.
The only bright spot is that Daisy is off the hook for a week at least, but it's a long, hard road ahead.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #161
i'm not going to bogged the thread down in crap like you're prone to do at times. Just pointing out how things can change with a very young side within a few years. That Hawthorn side was an exception too in relation to class yet had to go through the same pain rebuilding.  They finished 3rd last that year, 2pts ahead of us. Ended up a super side down the track. I'm sure St.Kilda went through crap early 2000s to and made 2 GFs, GWS had similar to what GC had and look at them. Maybe GC were the exception! Actually they weren't but the 2005 Hawks weren't an exception either, just exceptional. Goes both ways.
A mate told me Leigh Matthews was on radio this morning talking about how young their side was and the beltings they copped just prior to going on to win 3 premierships. I am told he stated he deliberately played kids to expose them and toughen them up. Old school? Perhaps. Did it work? my farken oath it did.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #162
A mate told me Leigh Matthews was on radio this morning talking about how young their side was and the beltings they copped just prior to going on to win 3 premierships. I am told he stated he deliberately played kids to expose them and toughen them up. Old school? Perhaps. Did it work? my farken oath it did.

R8, 2001 - CFC 142, BL 68 - Bastards went on to win the flag. I was hoping it would be us.

Reply #163
R8, 2001 - CFC 142, BL 68 - Bastards went on to win the flag. I was hoping it would be us.
I remember that game like it was yesterday, was in the car driving in country Victoria listening to it on radio. They didnt lose a game after that flogging.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #164
I remember that game like it was yesterday, was in the car driving in country Victoria listening to it on radio. They didnt lose a game after that flogging.

Me too.

It was my mates 21st. We died his hair Blue (he was a lions supporter).

FWIW, Lions did lose another game, 1, just, late in the season.
It was certainly the last flogging they received before their 3-peat though.