Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Windy Hill (Read 7517 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Windy Hill

Reply #15
The big difference in in the centre square: instead of having a dominant ruckman who gave the mids first use, we now have Korchek and Gorringe, neither of whom can provide the mids with any service at all.

The 2nd thing is our mids themselves: instead of having guys like Kerridge, Graham and Cuningham leading the charge, the main mid left is Palmer. He is getting the hard tag each week and no help from the rucks. Then there is Tom Wilson, a real trier and a live wire, but not a 35 possession player whose disposal and pace hurts.

Thirdly, early in the season we had Alex Silvagni, followed by Liam Jones, giving real leadership and desperation to our back 6. Now neither of them is there and guys like Macreadie have to do jobs they are not really ready for yet.

Fourthly, our forward division has been a work in progress the whole time. But now it is a lot harder, as the ball does not come in often, nor does it come in a way that gives the forwards a chance. Kerr and Polson are out injured and their replacements haven't been up to the task.

The coaching box is not coming up with miracles, but in the circumstances, it is difficult to make a silk purse from sows' ears.

Yes, you have some good points.

Harry Mac might actually play better footy in the seniors right now.

Reply #16
Peter Jackson VFL 2017
Essendon   3.8  4.11  7.13  16.15 (111)
Northern Blues   1.2  2.4  2.6  4.6 (30)

GOALS:
Essendon : Laverde 6 Langford 4 Stanton 2 Dea  O'Brien  Merrett  Leuenberger
Northern Blues: Pickett  Gorringe  Wilson  O'Shea

BEST:
Essendon : Laverde Langford Francis Long Stanton Leuenberger
Northern Blues: O'Shea Russell Macreadie Wilson Blakey Armfield
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17

That is probably the case. Even though the seniors are not renowned for their forward work, he would have a MUCH better chance in the senior forward line. At the moment he is not going to get any good ball at VFL level until we get a few players back and can find some sort of solution for our ruck woes.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18

He's a long way from senior selection.
I counted one mark for the day and he played much of the second on the ball, but as Crash stated there was very little support for him today and our ball use was barely VFL standard.
The only players who could mount a semblance of a case for senior selection were Armfield and Sheehan in my view, and that would be a bit of a stretch.
Macredie and JGM both showed a bit but Laverde and Langford kicked 10 between them and someone has to own it.
We were way down on personnel and it showed.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #19
NB's were undermanned vs Essendon..Bombers VFL team is very decent.....Laverde has been injured for 12 months and only played three games this year, both he and Langford who were Essendons first two picks in the infamous Boekhorst draft did what they liked vs our combo of kids and bananas.
Bombers have a number of good kids including Francis and Mutch who are all big developed players that were just too skilled and advanced for our lot.

Macreadie...wasnt too bad considering the amount of ball Essendon had down forward....
OShea was our best player by a long way and should be playing senior footy...
Korchek.....Luenberger was too experienced and dominated all day...
Palmer.....poor IMO....Dons had Stanton, Hocking and Howlett in their team and they had a picnic and I thought Palmer didnt show much leadership.
Gorringe...took one decent mark forward and goaled but that was about it...soft performer..
Denis...few kicks down back but didnt do anything major and just went IMO...
Harry...no supply down forward then moved into the ruck...played ok, took a few marks but lacks some smarts IMO.
Gallucci...MIA
Lebois.....see Gallucci
Jaksch..started off well then faded
Sheehan....ordinary....kicking was poor too
JGM....not bad in patches especially early... but ended up on Laverde who was too strong and smart for him...

A game to forget.....we dont have the depth Essendon do and look very small...those chemicals must still be in the water supply at Windy Hill...

Reply #20
He's a long way from senior selection.
I counted one mark for the day and he played much of the second on the ball, but as Crash stated there was very little support for him today and our ball use was barely VFL standard.
The only players who could mount a semblance of a case for senior selection were Armfield and Sheehan in my view, and that would be a bit of a stretch.
Macredie and JGM both showed a bit but Laverde and Langford kicked 10 between them and someone has to own it.
We were way down on personnel and it showed.

He'd just freeze to death playing NB's up forward. Hence we had to ruck him to get him into the game. Not sure he's rucked in his life. I know when the NBs the flying early in the year he was hitting packs and taking marks. Give him the opportunities and he'll go alot better. Right now our NBs teach him nothing and while we''re kicking 4.6 in a game he'll just rot. . Time to give him the feel of what senior is like and what's required. Not as if we're playing finals to may as well play him.

Reply #21
That's what happens when you don't have a midfield. Simply awful. Some honest efforts from a few, but, generally, awful.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
The big difference in in the centre square: instead of having a dominant ruckman who gave the mids first use, we now have Korchek and Gorringe, neither of whom can provide the mids with any service at all.

The 2nd thing is our mids themselves: instead of having guys like Kerridge, Graham and Cuningham leading the charge, the main mid left is Palmer. He is getting the hard tag each week and no help from the rucks. Then there is Tom Wilson, a real trier and a live wire, but not a 35 possession player whose disposal and pace hurts.

Thirdly, early in the season we had Alex Silvagni, followed by Liam Jones, giving real leadership and desperation to our back 6. Now neither of them is there and guys like Macreadie have to do jobs they are not really ready for yet.

Fourthly, our forward division has been a work in progress the whole time. But now it is a lot harder, as the ball does not come in often, nor does it come in a way that gives the forwards a chance. Kerr and Polson are out injured and their replacements haven't been up to the task.

The coaching box is not coming up with miracles, but in the circumstances, it is difficult to make a silk purse from sows' ears.

Simple isn't it.

For the first time this year we've started getting injuries. That effects not only the AFL side, but the VFL side as well.

Reply #23
He'd just freeze to death playing NB's up forward. Hence we had to ruck him to get him into the game. Not sure he's rucked in his life. I know when the NBs the flying early in the year he was hitting packs and taking marks. Give him the opportunities and he'll go alot better. Right now our NBs teach him nothing and while we''re kicking 4.6 in a game he'll just rot. . Time to give him the feel of what senior is like and what's required. Not as if we're playing finals to may as well play him.

It's fine by me, we haven't got anything to lose and a few senior games can't do him any harm.
I thought it was instructive that Fraser shifted him into the ruck today, we seem to have been protecting him to some extent so maybe it's a sign that his body is toughening up.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24
Don't you just love it when we play that mob and it underlines how deadset awful our drafting was that year.  Great idea. Stupid choices.

Apparently the guy we really wanted was Langford not Laverde.  Great another flanker type.

I dont know what we saw in Gorringe, another in the inauspicious line of Carlton tall draftees with the competitive drive of a tired panda.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #25
I dont know what we saw in Gorringe...

Same thing we saw in Jones.

Tall, athletic, agile and with potential.

Initially with Jones, he lacked the hunger/desire/drive to make it at AFL level, a bit like Gorringe.

Jones has managed to turn things around.
Gorringe has not....as yet at least.

The idea was right, the luck just wasn't on our side this time.

Reply #26
It's fine by me, we haven't got anything to lose and a few senior games can't do him any harm.
I thought it was instructive that Fraser shifted him into the ruck today, we seem to have been protecting him to some extent so maybe it's a sign that his body is toughening up.

Yes, could be well true.

I videoed the game as I was out all day but don't think i'll bother.

Reply #27
I'm not sure fussed about Gorringe, he was delisted by GC and cost us next to nothing, no club has 40 AFL standard players and there are always a few duds.
Jaksch on the other hand........................  ::)

Reply #28
Yes, could be well true.

I videoed the game as I was out all day but don't think i'll bother.

Dont, it wasn't pretty.

Reply #29
Same thing we saw in Jones.

Tall, athletic, agile and with potential.

Initially with Jones, he lacked the hunger/desire/drive to make it at AFL level, a bit like Gorringe.

Jones has managed to turn things around.
Gorringe has not....as yet at least.

The idea was right, the luck just wasn't on our side this time.
Yes Gorringe has all the physical attributes, his problem is he is made of a balsa wood/glass composite. Jones (I dont want to put the moz on him) is bullet proof injury wise.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time