Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 13968 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #30
Played as a half back at GWS in the main...the midfield experiment hasnt worked.

Yep that’s what happens when your desperate.
Got to love SOS recruiting work in the midfield during his tenure.
Disaster.

Reply #31
Surely it is time to swing the axe. We are playing 3 to 4 players short every game by the inclusion of players who are a liability at the moment.
TDK has to come in for Levi HAS TO. TDK with only 2 games under his belt in one game next week will do more than Levi has done all year. Levi should never play in the AFL again.
Gibbons goes out and you can bring in absolutely anyone to take his place. I mean anyone. If they've got a set of lungs they get a gig ahead of this bloke.
I never ever ever thought I would say this, but if Cripps wasn't a captain of our club he would be in serious trouble. Well, he would be in any other good football club. Not a circus club like ours.
Thank God SPS came on again as the sub. Last week I thought he may have had an epiphany last week and had realised he best not lose the opportunity, but was back to his old self today and should go back to the VFL and accumulate 30 pointless possessions. Poor Jack. He does not deserve this run of luck. By the same token he's missed another couple of sodas in front of goal and he's almost Levi like for goal kicking efficiency.
We are carrying that many that guys at the moment that the likes of Cottrell and Newnes should be our 21st and 22nd best players at the moment but they are currently running around the 17 and 18.
Gotta say Stocker hasn't set the world alight and has made some horrible  mistakes, but he has a crack and has some REAL mongrel so for that he stays.
I'm starting to get real, real scared that Zac Williams is going to become another GWS blowout.
Teague was supa-cr@p today. The game was in the balance and they had TV vision of Pittonet, Walsh, Saad and Curnow on the interchange. Was he on the gas?
Talking about Ed. My God, how can this bloke (and Eddie for that matter) still be the ones that are in our best players?
On the positives, apart from the usual suspects - see Walsh, Weitering, Doc - it was nice to see Cunners carry on his form from last week. No doubt he'll make way for Murphy next week
You know at the end of the day losing by 3 goals to the side 2nd on the ladder may not be a surprise but we were 27 pts up and we're killing them coming into red time of the 3rd and capitulated without any real reason other than we $H!T ourselves again. Oh, and we we're 3 to 4 players short from the 1st bounce.
As f@rkin annoying as it is to lose one like this it does not compare to having to listen to the f@kin c&^t Ling. God, he is a dead set pr$c.
Anyway, Melbourne next week and we should knock them off. Oh, the rider is we actually make so intelligent changes to the team. So I guess that means another loss.

Reply #32

But Jack going down was the turning point. Momentum turned after that.

If we are that dependent on SOJ then we're in much more trouble than I thought!

Late in that 3rd qtr you could see the Dishlickers, to a man, lift and start applying much more pressure all over the ground... and that's when we started to wilt. Poor contributions from Crippa and Williams did not help. I don't know what is up with Crippa, or whether the game is just too quick for him now, but either way, he aint anywhere near as influential as he once was.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
Well.....thats a bit embarrassing.

Hitouts
33 Pittonet
8 Casboult

17 Sweet
5 Bruce

Disposals
17 Pittonet
9 Sweet

Clearances
7 Pittonet (most for Carlton, 3rd behind Bont + Libba)
1 Sweet

I can't get hitout to advantage stats yet, but i don't think Pittonet was the problem.
Cripps being MIA, Williams appearing on the team sheet, but barely sighted on the ground, SPS doing similar after Jack went off....

Exactly, exactly correct Krudd. F@RK me is wasn't Pitt's fault, other than him bringing the ball to ground were our flat-footed "mids" just chased arse.

Reply #34
TDK very good today

Has to play next week vs Gawn and Jackson.....Pittonet won the ruck today but had no impact on the game, we wont win the ruck vs Gawn but if we can break even and get TDK on the scoreboard too it might help us to sneak a win.
Much more confident we can handle Melbourne better than the Dogs...

Reply #35
Why shouldn't he if the player happens to perform and more than earn his keep?

It's not sustainable.

Reply #36
TDK very good today

Yep, and Durdin showed some promise for the future - has a fair-dinkum dip.

Next week:

Murphy for Cottrell or Newnes?

TDK for Pitto or Casboult?

And how about something bold like Honey for SOJ?

Reply #37
Yep, and Durdin showed some promise for the future - has a fair-dinkum dip.

Next week:

Murphy for Cottrell or Newnes?

TDK for Pitto or Casboult?

And how about something bold like Honey for SOJ?
Agree on Honey...think Gibbons has to go out, we just have one too many small bodies IMO with Owies now in the team.
Cottrell was ok on Hunter for a while and the whipping boy Newnes wasnt our worst....
Zac Williams if he wasnt on a crap load of money should be dropped too.....

Reply #38
Has to play next week vs Gawn and Jackson.....Pittonet won the ruck today but had no impact on the game, we wont win the ruck vs Gawn but if we can break even and get TDK on the scoreboard too it might help us to sneak a win.
Much more confident we can handle Melbourne better than the Dogs...

Oh my God. Are you serious? Melbourne? This could be a huge percentage boost for them, and put our club back in the bottom 4. Our defensive game cannot even come close to Melbourne. Dees by 6 goals minimum.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #39
Oh my God. Are you serious? Melbourne? This could be a huge percentage boost for them, and put our club back in the bottom 4. Our defensive game cannot even come close to Melbourne. Dees by 6 goals minimum.
Yep I am serious, I think Dees are due and we can roll them with some decent selections and rejigging of positions plus a lift in effort from Cripps.
Have a little faith....

Reply #40
Bontempelli's stats.

32 disposals (=game high)
19 Contested possessions (game high)
8 Tackles (2nd highest of the game)
10 Inside 50's (2nd....5 above 3rd)
10 Clearances (2nd)
5 Centre clearances (2nd)
12 Score involvements (=game high)
617m Gained (2nd)
2 goal assists (=game high)

3 Brownlow votes

THAT was the ballgame.
Bont wasn't very effective until the last quarter. Unfortunately, he really lifted. Until he wasn't that much at all.

Our centre square work was good for three quarters, but very ordinary in the last. We couldn't but a clearance then.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #41
Agree on Honey...think Gibbons has to go out, we just have one too many small bodies IMO with Owies now in the team.
Cottrell was ok on Hunter for a while and the whipping boy Newnes wasnt our worst....
Are we playing too many injured payers @ElwoodBlues1‍ , between Cripps and Williams they almost spent a quarter on the bench!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42

The club has really made a rod for its back with Williams, he came to us with OUR promise to him of being a midfielder... which, to date, he clearly aint - or is it that our key mid (Crippa) is not up to it which leaves more to others who aint up to it?

The big question is - who dropped their heads in that last qtr, ie who are the softies when serious heat comes? Did the coaching box also drop the ball in the last qtr?

Reply #43
Bont wasn't very effective until the last quarter. Unfortunately, he really lifted. Until he wasn't that much at all.

Our centre square work was good for three quarters, but very ordinary in the last. We couldn't but a clearance then.

Agree... so, to repeat myself, who dropped their heads in the last qtr? Who are the blokes who fold when serious heat comes?

Reply #44
You know what’s embarrassing - anyone that tries to justify that performance using stats.
I watched the game and him in particular very closely apart from costing us 2 goals to frees he had no fking clue how to palm the ball to any sort of advantage. I reckon they could have used Daniels on the ruck and Pit wouldn’t know how to exploit it. Bombers did the same thing last week used a kid against him cause they know he has no clue.
You trying to defend his ruck work is like me telling you Casboult is a great AFL footballer based on the stats I throw at you.
Both are lucky to be 2nds standard but we have no stocks to turn to so they keep getting a game. 

Mate, when you have the best contested ball winner in the comp, and club captain, and he gets done over for clearances by the ruck, and you point the finger at the ruck as being the issue? You are confusing where the blame lies.

I'm not saying Pittonet is worthy of votes, but to say he is the reason we lost and was beaten by a second gamer, nah, i'm calling BS on that.
Just when Grundy had 30 more hitouts than Pittonet and people were lauding his game, Pittonet beat him at every other stat that mattered, and some that didn't.

Stats are not the be all and end all, but i'm going to disagree with someone, i'm going to give evidence as to why.

FWIW, one of those frees against Pittonet was BS too. Sweet initiated contact, Pittonet was too strong and threw him out of the way.....while looking at the ball mind you...and was called for holding/pushing. Watch what Mummy does every game, and rewatch that and tell me its a free.