Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields (Read 19513 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northrn Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields

Reply #30
I hope to god that Johnson, Graham and others do start to step up because think of the future if they don't. Wh

I would rather Cachia in than Curnow.

Curnow has had a great season and we really struggled when he was injured.  Almost the best 'shut down' going around.

Curnow's disposal is one of the worst in the team and he gets found out when his opponent takes him forward. Cachia is a good tagger as well but his disposal is better, and when we need to release the tag and play attacking footy, I reckon Cachia is a better option. I also think Curnow may have some trade value so we should see what sort of offers we can get as we have a good replacement for him.

Reply #31
I would rather Cachia in than Curnow.
Curnow has had a great season and we really struggled when he was injured.  Almost the best 'shut down' going around.
Curnow's disposal is one of the worst in the team and he gets found out when his opponent takes him forward. Cachia is a good tagger as well but his disposal is better, and when we need to release the tag and play attacking footy, I reckon Cachia is a better option. I also think Curnow may have some trade value so we should see what sort of offers we can get as we have a good replacement for him.

Curnow is in a different league to Cachia in terms of endurance, and Curnow is not too bad as a set shot. If Curnow pushed forward harder he might find himself on the end of some good plays, but he tends to go the hard tag and not much else. Cachia is better inside, but slower outside and just doesn't have the tank that Curnow has. I can't see Cachia working his way into the team on a regular basis, he is stuck being Mr Average in almost all areas, he needs a major new trick!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Northern Blues vs. Casey at Casey Fields

Reply #32
I think Curnow's disposal is not that bad. Kicked a few goals on the run last year. It's overstated how bad it is.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #33
I think Curnow's disposal is not that bad. Kicked a few goals on the run last year. It's overstated how bad it is.

I agree, I think inexperience makes him look worse because of bad choices. This is contrast by that chip kick from Graham a couple of weeks back against Norp which was a great decision that made a slow chip kick look like genius.

As Curnow begins to make better decisions his kicking will look better, now if we can only get Robbo and 1AW to understand the same and stop bombing the ball forward!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
I think Sheehan can be a AFL player...like to see him get a senior game before the season is out.
Solid build, neat kick and being mature I think he would benefit more by being played alongside better players which would further his learning quicker.
Cripps needs to be in the seniors next week in place of Brock who is gone IMO...

Looks like you get your wish:

Malthouse also announced on Wednesday that Irish international rookie Ciaran Sheehan would make his debut for the Blues against Gold Coast this Saturday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-06/blue-pays-for-night-out

Reply #35
I think Sheehan can be a AFL player...like to see him get a senior game before the season is out.
Solid build, neat kick and being mature I think he would benefit more by being played alongside better players which would further his learning quicker.
Cripps needs to be in the seniors next week in place of Brock who is gone IMO...

Looks like you get your wish:

Malthouse also announced on Wednesday that Irish international rookie Ciaran Sheehan would make his debut for the Blues against Gold Coast this Saturday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-06/blue-pays-for-night-out

Good to see Sheehan getting a game and Mick sorting through the players...Jeff Garlett needs a spell to get his mind right....I am almost of the opinion if he had personal issues he should
have been given a extended  leave of absence to sort them out rather than just going through the motions of playing each week as it has been no good for him or the club...

Reply #36

He also kicked two out on the full in the space of a minute in last year's elimination final.

Reply #37

He also kicked two out on the full in the space of a minute in last year's elimination final.

He also laid 10 tackles 4 or 5 more than anyone else on the ground! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38

...and his man had 26 touches and kicked 2 goals. ;)

I never said anything against his work rate or attack at the contest anyway. I just don't see much room for improvement and want to trade him out while he has a little bit of currency and we have a pretty good replacement. We have Carrazzo, Curnow, Cachia, Everitt and Armfield who all tag. At least 2 have to go IMO. Possibly 3.

Reply #39

I never said anything against his work rate or attack at the contest anyway. I just don't see much room for improvement and want to trade him out while he has a little bit of currency and we have a pretty good replacement. We have Carrazzo, Curnow, Cachia, Everitt and Armfield who all tag. At least 2 have to go IMO. Possibly 3.

Sheez, Everitt and Armfield talk about clutching at straws! Everitt has all three covered and none of them would be able to catch Amrfield to even make a contest!

Carrazzo is 31 soon, like it or not it's over for him sooner rather than later, and right now he's got more lower leg injuries that a lame racehorse.

Cachia is slow, much slower than Curnow and doesn't have Curnow's tank. So even if he breaks even in other areas he just has no natural advantage. He is going to be at best a backup to the first options. If Cripps comes on, even Curnow may be a backup!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40

Sheez, Everitt and Armfield talk about clutching at straws! Everitt has all three covered and none of them would be able to catch Amrfield to even make a contest!

Carrazzo is 31 soon, like it or not it's over for him sooner rather than later, and right now he's got more lower leg injuries that a lame racehorse.

Cachia is slow, much slower than Curnow and doesn't have Curnow's tank. So even if he breaks even in other areas he just has no natural advantage. He is going to be at best a backup to the first options. If Cripps comes on, even Curnow may be a backup!

Clutching at straws? When has Armfield come into the seniors this year and played an offensive role? We're just treading water if we keep players like Curnow and Armfield around.

Reply #41
Clutching at straws? When has Armfield come into the seniors this year and played an offensive role? We're just treading water if we keep players like Curnow and Armfield around.

Can't see your reasoning, Cachia just isn't in the same league as the others you list.

Curnow tore Ablett (Jnr) a new one in an away game, only one of three players who have stitched Ablett up. The only time Cachia would have come close to doing this would be if he managed to get the team bus to drive over Ablett in the car park! ;)

Both Armfield and Curnow have runs on the board, 170 games, 2 goals or more on a dozen occasions, 5 tackles or more on dozens of occasions. So when fit and firing they get jobs done.

So as I see it, you arguemnt is to keep a very average 14 game player over blokes who have played 60 to 100 games and who have performed better! Perhaps if McLean get the chop Cachia might be an option as a depth player, but even then he is miles away from being close to the equivalent of McLean!

Mentioning Everitt in this debate is just ludicrous.

I'd suggest Cachia is on very thin ice and if blokes like Judd, Carrazzo and McLean are still around next season Cachia might well not be there!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Why did the club keep Cachia and McInnes on the list for them to just play 2's footy all year?

That's another 2 list places taken up right there... no wonder we struggled to win 6 games this year, we have barely had more than 26-28 to pick from all year.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #43

Laid or made properly...we lay tackles but have trouble making them stick...watched Fyfe break about three in a row.
I dont count half made ones either where the player is stopped but gets the ball away to another teammate...

Reply #44
A tackle that does not stop the opponent laying the ball off is ineffective, regardless of whether it was laid or not.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?