Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48720 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
Kids were great. Can handle their mistakes. They are usually less costly than some.

Who said Daisy was OK? My god.

Rowe
White
Daisy
Curnow
Levi

All deplorable.

That's fine, but who do you replace them with??

Reply #46
Kids were great. Can handle their mistakes. They are usually less costly than some.

Who said Daisy was OK? My god.

Rowe
White
Daisy
Curnow
Levi

All deplorable.
x2. Five Senior passengers like that isn't going to do much to help the kids. Gee we let them kick a few soft goals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Someone on FB was in the rooms after the game and reckons cripps arm looks swollen and worried it broken.

He was hit hard by Martin in the last quarter and I had perfect view and lay motionless for a good 15 sec I was sure he did a serious injury but then got up and seemed to shake it off and finished on the bench.

Hopefully report is BS but wouldn't be surprised to hear he is injured. Looked in a lot of pain at the time.

Reply #48
Charlie Curnow shocker......is that the 'just turned 20' Charlie Curnow' who notched up Game 7 tonight???

'Give the kids game time!'  'Play the kids!'  'Let the kids develop and play them in front of the oldies!'

We are a harsh lot! 

It should be 'Charlie, you're guaranteed 6 games, so go out and give it your best shot. You won't be BOG every week but have a crack!'

Yep, that's exactly my take as well. Same goes for most of the kids - give them time. The older players are supporting cast until the talent comes on. Thomas is running his contract out before going into a coaching role somewhere. Pickett played his first game along with SPS and Macreadie - that's AFL football NOT just for Carlton.

The slack we cut Jack last year needs to apply evenly across the list.

Thought Marchbank showed plenty - made some silly errors but will be better for the run. Charlie C is learning about having a run through the middle not just up forward in year two. Weiters was wonderful given the service and pressure.

Reply #49
Someone on FB was in the rooms after the game and reckons cripps arm looks swollen and worried it broken.

He was hit hard by Martin in the last quarter and I had perfect view and lay motionless for a good 15 sec I was sure he did a serious injury but then got up and seemed to shake it off and finished on the bench.

Hopefully report is BS but wouldn't be surprised to hear he is injured. Looked in a lot of pain at the time.

Yep
It did look like he'd hurt himself badly but a minute or two later he made a tackle that kind of eased my fears.
Still if it does turn out to be a break it's the type of commitment we've come to expect from him.

Reply #50
Enter Sam Rowe standing 15m clear of anyone else and he punches down the throat of an opposition player!!

It's called 'lack of composure' - there was plenty of that across the ground tonight.

Reply #51
Yep, that's exactly my take as well. Same goes for most of the kids - give them time. The older players are supporting cast until the talent comes on. Thomas is running his contract out before going into a coaching role somewhere. Pickett played his first game along with SPS and Macreadie - that's AFL football NOT just for Carlton.

The slack we cut Jack last year needs to apply evenly across the list.

Thought Marchbank showed plenty - made some silly errors but will be better for the run. Charlie C is learning about having a run through the middle not just up forward in year two. Weiters was wonderful given the service and pressure.

Yep
First game together under real match pressure for a lot of our side.
Once that understanding develops there is potential to improve rapidly as a team.
With greater support and awareness of strengths and limitations we'll see a reduction in some of those skill errors, poor decisions and turnovers.

Reply #52
That's fine, but who do you replace them with??

Serious. We should just let them run around stuffing up. I forgot Army.

Already replaced Rowe with Mcreadie
Thomas- Cunningham
Levi - McKay
Curnow - Fisher/Polson
White - Jaksch, Lamb, Williamson

Kids did not disgrace themselves at all. And if anything kept up with the modern style of footy.

Very pleased.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #53
Two crap teams  that should not figure in the finals.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Serious. We should just let them run around stuffing up. I forgot Army.

Already replaced Rowe with Mcreadie
Thomas- Cunningham
Levi - McKay
Curnow - Fisher/Polson
White - Jaksch, Lamb, Williamson

Kids did not disgrace themselves at all. And if anything kept up with the modern style of footy.

Very pleased.

You can add Smedts to that group...wasnt bad but wont impact much playing very safe football.....if you could find a player who can tackle that would be handy....that would give us two..Wright being the other.
Was it Martins haircut that scared our players or the thought of his dads friends coming to get our players if we dared touch him.....

Reply #55
My biggest concern for the night was Cripps.

He was playing like a millionaire at times tonight and when he got hurt with Martin it's because he was undisciplined and attempted to hit Dusty like it would have made a difference and frankly went in limply.

End result he hurt himself.   Looked like a shoulder.

I was 12 years old when I was told that you get hurt when you pull out and don't go hard enough and that's what that looked like and Martin didn't hit cripps,  Cripps hit Martin.  Martin just stood up and took it and motored right through.

People here expect too much.  Martin has always been a powerful player with questions on his workrate and conditioning, but he's turned the corner and will realise his potential this season.

Can't agree with playing the kids.   We'll get thumped every week and become the new Melbourne.  Better for the kids to show promise and our senior blokes to stink whilst they learn.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
My biggest concern for the night was Cripps.

He was playing like a millionaire at times tonight and when he got hurt with Martin it's because he was undisciplined and attempted to hit Dusty like it would have made a difference and frankly went in limply.

End result he hurt himself.   Looked like a shoulder.

I was 12 years old when I was told that you get hurt when you pull out and don't go hard enough and that's what that looked like and Martin didn't hit cripps,  Cripps hit Martin.  Martin just stood up and took it and motored right through.

People here expect too much.  Martin has always been a powerful player with questions on his workrate and conditioning, but he's turned the corner and will realise his potential this season.

Can't agree with playing the kids.   We'll get thumped every week and become the new Melbourne.  Better for the kids to show promise and our senior blokes to stink whilst they learn.

Martin is powerful but our players were adverse to tackling or going near him...its wasnt a good look when most of your team are apprehensive of one player.....it was embarrassing and only
enhances our reputation as one of the softest teams in the comp...I can take mistakes that are made with effort or Marchbank missing targets etc  but you have to see effort and as far as Martin goes most of our blokes were not interested in making the effort to engage him in battle....

Reply #57
Thank you Townsend. Thought the same thing.

Not to mention those howling about Bolton being out coached. Maybe, just maybe he held his nerve and is teaching through application.

He could easily have gone defensive and didn't.

Reply #58
Positives
Sammo soaked up a mountain of pressure and looked good before a bit of a fade.
Pickett flashes of great. Can't wait till he builds up his tank.
McCreadie was good, reads it well. Some muscle and he'll hold his own.
Smedts was good in patches. Looked like he moved well. Expect his improvement to increase quickly.
Marchbank and Weiters  ????????
Crippa got through unscathed. Will be better for the run.
Sam Rowe and Kruez were solid. Looked to give 100%
Daisy kicked longer and offered more in general. Maybe that ankle's better.
Plowman was solid. He'll continue to improve.

As others noted, (quite) a few of our seniors didn't perform as we hoped. Obviously we can't expect to win under those conditions.

In all, the youngsters had a great hit out. Their learning now begins.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #59
Positives
Sammo soaked up a mountain of pressure and looked good before a bit of a fade.
Pickett flashes of great. Can't wait till he builds up his tank.
McCreadie was good, reads it well. Some muscle and he'll hold his own.
Smedts was good in patches. Looked like he moved well. Expect his improvement to increase quickly.
Marchbank and Weiters  ????????
Crippa got through unscathed. Will be better for the run.
Sam Rowe and Kruez were solid. Looked to give 100%
Daisy kicked longer and offered more in general. Maybe that ankle's better.
Plowman was solid. He'll continue to improve.

As others noted, (quite) a few of our seniors didn't perform as we hoped. Obviously we can't expect to win under those conditions.

In all, the youngsters had a great hit out. Their learning now begins.

Didn't think the captain was too shabby??