Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Post Game Insanity: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 14308 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Post Game Insanity: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #60
Currently there are 6 teams that have a significant home ground advantage by creating a cauldron, hostile type atmosphere. WCE, Freo, Port, Adelaide, Sydney and possibly Brisbane (don’t count GWS and Suns).  The disadvantage for them is the travel that they are committed to, every 2nd week.

How would it be if a team had the cauldron.....but didn’t have excess interstate travel??? Enter GEELONG. 

Significant, significant advantage has been handed to the pussies!!

Reply #61
Currently there are 6 teams that have a significant home ground advantage by creating a cauldron, hostile type atmosphere. WCE, Freo, Port, Adelaide, Sydney and possibly Brisbane (don’t count GWS and Suns).  The disadvantage for them is the travel that they are committed to, every 2nd week.

How would it be if a team had the cauldron.....but didn’t have excess interstate travel??? Enter GEELONG. 

Significant, significant advantage has been handed to the pussies!!
And one not available to any other Victorian club. Seriously, we should not play there again. The idea of having such a small capacity, with minimal Carltn access, is a serious joke and an insult to us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #62
No offence EB but I’m glad the selection committee didn’t shortlist your application for the coaching position  ;)

Taking Jones out of the backline would have let the Geelong forwards off the leash and it wouldn’t have improved our delivery into the forward line.  I’m not sure that Jones’ time in defence will have improved his ability to play as a key forward.  I suspect that, with Jones forward, we would have had fewer inside 50s and an out of position key forward failing to get to the ball.

McKay, Kerr and Curnow weren’t too tall for the conditions, they were too inexperienced.  Swapping two of them for Jones wouldn’t have made much difference ... and who would we have played in defence, Kerr perhaps?

No Offence taken DJ....Geelong played one tall forward in Hawkins and one medium tall in Crameri, and I reckon they know the conditions at Pussy Park better than me, you or Bolton.
We were too top heavy forward and lacked mobility with the ball being on the ground more.....
Bolton is a poor tactician, when the opposition Fullback is the BOG with 28 disposals and 12 marks then you and your team are doing something wrong and need to change things up...

I would have tried something different for the win rather than leaving Jones down back and being happy with a respectable loss...

Reply #63
But if you take Jones out of defense and put him forward we have to put a forward into defense, I can't see Kerr or McKay playing down there at this stage of their careers, likely disaster

Reply #64
But if you take Jones out of defense and put him forward we have to put a forward into defense, I can't see Kerr or McKay playing down there at this stage of their careers, likely disaster

We had Rowe, Weitering and OShea as taller types plus Plowman, we didnt need another tall down back....they only had Hawkins and the medium sized Crameri, Stanley rucked and the young lad who broke his ankle left them short. I would have benched McKay and Kerr.....

Reply #65
a. Lacking experience,
b. lacking synergy,
c. lacking a quick thinking footy brain

Hopefully a or b.

Missing the obvious one - poor or confusing coaching instructions and/or a big divergence between the player's natural instincts and the instructions from ykw.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
Deathly silence on Menegola kicking Rowe in the head!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
We had Rowe, Weitering and OShea as taller types plus Plowman, we didnt need another tall down back....they only had Hawkins and the medium sized Crameri, Stanley rucked and the young lad who broke his ankle left them short. I would have benched McKay and Kerr.....

Yet their talls won the game in marking contests.

The evidence might suggest that you have got this one a little wrong.

FWIW I thought Stewart was not very good even though he got a lot of the ball. Tuohy sliced us up to setup the first goal of the final term to Danger.  Had me wondering where Jed Lamb went although some players actually play better when targeted with a bit of niggle.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #70

Are you basing this on stats?

There were only 19 contested marks for the whole game, 12/7 split, only 10 marks inside F50 for the whole game, they took 8 of them which is not much at all.

Geelong average 10/11 marks inside 50 per game, we average 8 per game.

The marking targets on both sides had very poor nights which suggests defenders were on top, watching the game I'd have to say disposal from both teams was very bad.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71

FWIW I thought Stewart was not very good even though he got a lot of the ball. Tuohy sliced us up to setup the first goal of the final term to Danger.  Had me wondering where Jed Lamb went although some players actually play better when targeted with a bit of niggle.

Stewart was no good?.....???? I must have watched a different game....... :o

Their talls won them the game?...they had Stanley who was beaten by Kruezer, a semi tall in Crameri who did nothing and I''l give you a tick for Hawkins who kicked 3 goals...and their other tall got a broken ankle or close to it....

I thought their mids with Dangerfield, Duncan, Menegola won them the game along with Stewart and Henry intercepting most of our entries......we locked up Selwood and Ablett ok but weight of numbers won in the end even though a banged up Cripps fought on bravely.....

Reply #72
That is a video of Menegola kicking the goal of the year. ;D

It's further down the page.

That vision has also been heavily cropped, Foxtel showed a full screen view of Menegola slamming Rowe's head into the ground, then kicking Rowe's head with his shin as he stood up.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73

The marking targets on both sides had very poor nights which suggests defenders were on top, watching the game I'd have to say disposal from both teams was very bad.

Chris Scott said he thought it was a horrible game.

Reply #74
Very dewy....handling and marking was probably a bit affected.
But Scott will probably talk about us dragging Geelong down to "our" level