Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108872 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1185
You can and should separate a person's achievements from their beliefs, values etc.

Reply #1186
You can and should separate a person's achievements from their beliefs, values etc.

Like Novak Djokovic?

The hypocrisy is telling in many circumstances.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1187
Like Novak Djokovic?

The hypocrisy is telling in many circumstances.
I don't see any hypocrisy at all, the situation Joker finds himself in has no effect on his tennis standing and is largely unrelated, he uses his tennis in a political perspective. The constraints on his movement and conduct are unrelated to tennis.

In fact I'd say the hypocrisy sits, if it exists at all, in the attitudes of those who think he should be exempt from common laws and rules just because he is a sporting celebrity!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1188
I don't see any hypocrisy at all, the situation Joker finds himself in has no effect on his tennis standing and is largely unrelated, he uses his tennis in a political perspective. The constraints on his movement and conduct are unrelated to tennis.

In fact I'd say the hypocrisy sits, if it exists at all, in the attitudes of those who think he should be exempt from common laws and rules just because he is a sporting celebrity!
I was actually thinking of the public opinion of him pre covid.

Paul Hewson

Reply #1189
As the world returns to travel it seems expectations might need to be adjusted.

I've a few friends now returning form initial trips having been on the travel shelf for sometime. While they reports some terrific deals with some venues are making a genuine effort to attract travellers, it seems that much like the effects of the great resignation on commercial enterprise, travel accommodation has been wrecked by the presence of airBnB, and it's leaving the travel accommodation experience falling well short of expectation.

One friend has begun using the term airBnB as an acronym for, air-Beds-n-Bugs.

Make your bookings wisely! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1190
As the world returns to travel it seems expectations might need to be adjusted.

I've a few friends now returning form initial trips having been on the travel shelf for sometime. While they reports some terrific deals with some venues are making a genuine effort to attract travellers, it seems that much like the effects of the great resignation on commercial enterprise, travel accommodation has been wrecked by the presence of airBnB, and it's leaving the travel accommodation experience falling well short of expectation.

One friend has begun using the term airBnB as an acronym for, air-Beds-n-Bugs.

Make your bookings wisely! ;)

Must say that in our travels around Oz and NZ Mrs Baggers and I can only praise the AirBnbs we've stayed in. Before moving into our new home in Gippsland last year we stayed in an AirBnb whilst cleaning and urgent repairs we done, and it was sensational. Cleaning came in every week to change all bedding and towels and give the place a once over. We only AirBnb where the place has a gold star (or whatever the high rating thing is).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1191
In Singapore there is a minimum stay at an AirBnB of either 6 or 9 nights (I've forgotten which).  Smart.

It would be interesting to know how much housing is lost to potential long term renters due to short stay accom.

Reply #1192
Ive had good and ive had bad. 

Mostly good.  You do get what you pay for and generally last minute is no good.

Paul Hewson

Reply #1193
This is my public service announcement for the day.

See the image below, a young services officer wading through flood waters, decked out is baggy waterproof clothing. Doing the right thing by somebody, don't do it!

Too many people just do not realise how dangerous this innocent act is!

Just a moderate piece of debris can knock this person over, that baggy waterproof clothing will inflate with water like a balloon leaving you at the mercy of the moving water and potentially making it impossible to recover to get your head above water.

If you really must wade through a torrent, then strip off to tight fitting permeable layers of clothing, stuff that will drain as you try to stand up, and won't act like a underwater sail! Sure you'll be cold, sure it can be embarrassing, but you're many times less likely to end up dead as well!

Lots of fly fishos and water skiers can warn you about the foibles of wearing loose fitting watertight garments in moving water.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1194
I read today that the company that purchased the Coon cheese brand and relabelled it due to social media pressure, are now closing factories and scaling back operations destroying dozens or hundreds of jobs at factories formerly known by the surname of it's founder, Coon is "cancelled"! Americanised and obliterated, jobs in Australia gone because piss-weak political mileage is made on a slang term from the Americias!

Sure we get it, the extreme left is good all other perspectives are bad! ::)

Just remember when discussing things with your US social media or Insta-twaddle overlords, it is "Exploring U-Ran-Us", not "Exploring Ur-Anus!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1195
I read today that the company that purchased the Coon cheese brand and relabelled it due to social media pressure, are now closing factories and scaling back operations destroying dozens or hundreds of jobs at factories formerly known by the surname of it's founder, Coon is "cancelled"! Americanised and obliterated, jobs in Australia gone because piss-weak political mileage is made on a slang term from the Americias!

Just remember when discussing things with your US social media or Insta-twaddle overlords, it is "Exploring U-Ran-Us", not "Exploring Ur-Anus!"
Been a bit of a silly affair the whole thing really, my wife has a friend whose surname is Coon and she has copped a fair bit of abuse online and even in some business areas since this whole Coon cheese fiasco started and was even contemplating using her maiden name in some circumstances so her kids didnt get bullied.
If its going to be banned and condemned  in commercial life as a word then it probably needs to be banned in public life because it is a legitimate surname and those folk with it should be allowed to change it at no expense to themselves on birth records, legal documents etc if its causing grief to them...

Reply #1196
Been a bit of a silly affair the whole thing really, my wife has a friend whose surname is Coon and she has copped a fair bit of abuse online and even in some business areas since this whole Coon cheese fiasco started and was even contemplating using her maiden name in some circumstances so her kids didnt get bullied.
If its going to be banned and condemned  in commercial life as a word then it probably needs to be banned in public life because it is a legitimate surname and those folk with it should be allowed to change it at no expense to themselves on birth records, legal documents etc if its causing grief to them...
It's so arbitrary, even in the US the name Coon is still used on some brands in various states because it's accepted as an abbreviation referring to Raccoon, which makes the loss of jobs here even worse, stupidly worse.

The whole issue blew up here because a small group used the name controversy on social media to garner support on US based human rights groups,  claiming they were oppressed and abused here in Australia and using the Coon brand name as proof of vilification, they did this only after the Canadians had bought the business not before. Now people are losing their jobs!

The irony is many of the people losing jobs are in regional areas, a large portion of the workforce identify as indigenous!

We keep hearing arguments for not changing something to make things more inclusive, it's just a name, it's just a piece of paper, it's just an old / obsolete law, but it always has real world consequences, and often the "just a crowd" pretty much feck off into the mist after all the damage is done!

I bet in relation to this Coon / Cheers issue, somewhere sometime today or in coming weeks, there will be somebody claiming the lost jobs and redundancies are proof of institutionalised racism, because indigenous people are adversely affected. It may have even already happened.

It's always somebody else's fault!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1197
Just to "balance" up the racism debate, I read today the disgustingly abhorrent stuff online directed at the young Jewish boy Sheezel who will be drafted tonight. WTF is wrong with these parasites? Find these people and put a bullet between their eyes, they are no good to anyone and beyond rehabilitation if that's the way they think and behave. The kid hasnt started his career and he has to put up with this crap. The world is farked.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1198
Just to "balance" up the racism debate, I read today the disgustingly abhorrent stuff online directed at the young Jewish boy Sheezel who will be drafted tonight. WTF is wrong with these parasites? Find these people and put a bullet between their eyes, they are no good to anyone and beyond rehabilitation if that's the way they think and behave. The kid hasnt started his career and he has to put up with this crap. The world is farked.

Also angered by this astonishing development.

I'm far from across social media and the associated technology. Sheesh, I don't even use my phone for anything except tests, photos and calls and have only ever downloaded 2 apps... CFC and a Covid MyGov thing, but surely there must be something that can be done with these social media platforms to prevent this despicable hatred seeing the light of day?

For those far more IT savvy than moi, are there things that can be done to prevent, and/or bring to account the perpetrators of this bullshizen?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1199

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story:

First of all, "coon" was a common derogatory term commonly applied to Indigenous Australians and other people of colour in Australia from the late 19th century until the mid-20th century.  It made a comeback in the late 20th century and I have witnessed its use to demean and belittle Indigenous friends and colleagues ... and there are no raccoons in Australia.

Edward Coon was not the founder of the company.  He patented a cheese processing technique in 1926 but was bought out by Kraft in 1928.  Kraft first marketed Red Coon cheese in 1931 and registered the COON trademark in 1949.  Red Coon cheese went out of production around 1959, about the time a new product, Coon "Tasty" cheese began production.  There have never been Coon cheese factories since Kraft bought out Edward Coon's business.

On 9 November 2022, Saputo Australia announced that the company will close its Maffra factory and lay off up to 75 workers following issues with milk supply and a A$54.4 million annual loss. The company generated a A$30.6 million net profit in the previous year.  In other words, Saputo made a very healthy profit after announcing that it was dropping Coon and introducing Cheers (not that there's a causal link).  COVID, supply chain issues and perennial problems with the dairy industry combined to knock the stuffing out of Saputo's business and that has nothing to do with the change from Coon to Cheers.

I don't agree with Stephen Hagan's claims about the brand name always having a racist meaning (he's the cove who wanted to ban Lily of Laguna) but Saputo's CEO nailed it with "Treating people with respect and without discrimination is one of our basic principles" when he announced the change ... and they would have done their marketing homework.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball