Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 29876 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #195
Cunningham and SOS are both very clever footballers. They played particularly well with each other on the weekend. Frequently setting each other up.

Cunningham (as I've said) makes us a 5 goal better team when he's playing and we give him half a chance.

Beginning to like the look of Cunners myself - already liked Jack.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #196
Yep he's surprised this year.

To compete with the pies, we need Cunningham, SPS, Setterfield, Dow and Walsh getting 25-30 each.
Collingwood had 3 players get 34.
7 of their mids had 23 or more. 5 of that 7 kicked 1 or more goals.
That is a very serious contribution.

People get seduced by Collingwood stats. They chip back and forth 4 times, go backwards, end up bombing down the line from a worse position than they started with all options covered yet they had 4 possessions. They aren't real possessions.

But I agree - Samo in particular - he needs to go from 35 pos on his good days to 25 on his bad (not 16). 5 of his 8 games this year he's been in the teens. He's still miles off unfortunately. Shame because our fortunes are closely tied to his performances in my opinion. He's a real barometer for us.

Reply #197
Never seen you look happier Jim ????????

Would I be happy? Telling it like it is. you can do that.

Not sure if you think a 10% record over 40 games is good 4th year into a rebuild but I don't. It's terrible! lose next week and that figure becomes single figues. Like in what universe is that acceptable.

Just don't have the right coach. always a risk getting someone who has played the same amount of AFL games as the rest of us. Needed to fix culture so having a bloke who hasn't played risks not getting full respect. Would do nothing to improve culture. May well be playing out that way. Something has to be it 4 from 40.

Reply #198

I was sold when I saw the way he tore Ess apart in the preseason comp. Kicked 3 and gave a few off.

That kidney injury cost us a couple of wins for sure.

Reply #199
People get seduced by Collingwood stats. They chip back and forth 4 times, go backwards, end up bombing down the line from a worse position than they started with all options covered yet they had 4 possessions. They aren't real possessions.

But I agree - Samo in particular - he needs to go from 35 pos on his good days to 25 on his bad (not 16). 5 of his 8 games this year he's been in the teens. He's still miles off unfortunately. Shame because our fortunes are closely tied to his performances in my opinion. He's a real barometer for us.

For me it's the work rate they exhibit to knock up that many.
And they work really hared both ways.
They also had 10% more tackles than us.

It is a base fitness thing, but some of our guys (SPS and Cunningham) should almost be there after 3+4 years respectively

Reply #200
Would I be happy? Telling it like it is. you can do that.

Not sure if you think a 10% record over 40 games is good 4th year into a rebuild but I don't. It's terrible! lose next week and that figure becomes single figues. Like in what universe is that acceptable.

Just don't have the right coach. always a risk getting someone who has played the same amount of AFL games as the rest of us. Needed to fix culture so having a bloke who hasn't played risks not getting full respect. Would do nothing to improve culture. May well be playing out that way. something has to be at 4 from 40.

Yeah we've got to get some bl00dy wins on the board for sure.

We did run the grand finalists close with a team with 11 players under 22 (I think was the quote in the Age). But yes.... the talent is there to be winning more than 1 game so far this year - and that performance against Norf still gives me nightmares.

Reply #201

It is a base fitness thing, but some of our guys (SPS and Cunningham) should almost be there after 3+4 years respectively

Yes - they had us covered early for tackles, pos, etc. then by half time we'd caught them on everything (except free kicks) and then by 3qtr time we were in front on everything (except free kicks). Then at the end of the game they'd just kept going for longer and got on top of the stats - including just managing to shade us in the free kick count.

Reply #202

Its the big possession's that count, ball find its way to Pendlebury who hits up Degoey with the one handed mark who goals.....Cripps misses goal when we could have held a decent lead.
DeGoey kicks that one off the ground out of nothing.....its the big moments where the good teams get us and when we cant deliver.

Agree on Samo, going to very influential if he gets 35 because he uses the ball well but with 16-20 only thats not enough especially vs quality opposition.

Reply #203

SPS maybe, he's only in his 3rd year, and his first year was interupted.

Cuningham walked under a ladder and breaks down every 6 months.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #204

one 'n' folks! Just one  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #205
SPS maybe, he's only in his 3rd year, and his first year was interupted.

Cuningham walked under a ladder and breaks down every 6 months.

Which is why we're not very good right now. One of our most important players is still only 21 and inconsistent. A lot being asked of very young guys across the board.

After a game like Sunday at least you can see how it might look when it does finally click.

Reply #207
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-13/walsh-fined-by-mro

We're not a very nice team...
All those free kicks and now were beating up on the opposition weakies

It's pretty funny. I thought we were the nice guys.

Just above that story is a video with Weeters discussing the Pies game. Speaks very well IMO.

Reply #208
The AFL MRO just proved that it is a corrupt joke.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #209
Does that mean Walsh can't win the RS?