Skip to main content
Topic: Kick it too.......who? Our Inside 50 top targets. (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic

Kick it too.......who? Our Inside 50 top targets.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1135156/target-acquired-who-your-club-aims-for-inside-50
From the article....
Targets inside 50 for the year.
Carlton: Charlie Curnow (95), Harry McKay (84), Tom De Koning (21)

Looking at some other stats on our big 3 forwards...
Charlie - Harry - TDK
   29   -   24   -   7   -   Goals
   18   -   12   -   8   -   Behinds
   50   -   45   -  16  -   Shots on goal
     3   -    9    -    1  -   Complete misses
 58%  - 53%  - 44% -  Goal accuracy % (from total shots on goal, including misses)

28   -   29   -   10  -  Marks inside 50.

49   -   43   -  73  - Targets leading to shots on goal (%)
   31   -   29   -  33  - Targets leading to goal (%)
   29   -   35   -  48  - Targets leading to marks inside 50 (%)

OK, so thats the facts. What does it all mean.

Lets make a couple observations
- Charlie is our best shot on goal. Harry has improved remarkably, but still misses completely more than he should, but even with those misses, is more likely than TDK to kick a goal once he has a shot.
- Despite being targetted less, we are more likely to get a shot at goal, an actual goal and a mark inside 50, when we target TDK. This should be common sense really. Everyone knows we go to Harry and Charlie the most, so they get the best defenders and they get the 3rd man in helping out as well. So, by default, TDK (and everyone else in the team) get lesser defenders and less attention paid to them.

So, my take home point is this.
SPREAD THE LOAD!
Our scoring will be better if we learn to target other players.

Stop directing the ball to Harry and Charlie constantly and try and use some other forwards more often.
We have been lacking a 3rd tall most of the year (remembering TDK playing #1 ruck first half of the year) and not having Jack Silvagni available....and not having Jack Martin available much either. I'd really like to see us target this area ASAP or shoehorn someone into this role ASAP - Kemp, McGovern, Marchbank is 1 too many '3rd talls' to play down back. Try one up forward??

If there is enough interest, i might do some comparisons of other forwards (teams?) and see how we compare.