Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 17107 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 9: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #45
I was content with Cunningham's effort - looked better than he has looked in the VFL

CCurnow suffered with Weitering playing in defence, which meant that Charlie was matched up by a better opponent.

Totally agree. Pleasantly surprised with Cuningham. I thought his work in tight early was sure and effective - good hands; good decisions. He faded but had plenty of mates.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
It's really hard to make too many judgements on individuals in that game.
The TV filters out the actual extreme nature of the weather and what looks like a  lot of rain can be torrential. Add to that the wind which seemed to be all over the place. (Someone who was at the  game could give us a better idea)
Sure both sides had to cope with it... but mature bodies probably can cope a bit better, especially when we were down two men in the rotations and others coming off at regular intervals with niggles.

We dominated them early and were still a chance well into the last quarter...although it was kind of obvious we were just hanging on.
The effort seemed to still be there. It just became too much to resist

Reply #47
Some people have been bagging Graham....

The mid field, Kreuzer included, was collectively terrible after quarter time. Kreuzer simply stopped playing the ball and was too focused on big Sandi.... the set ups were terrible given Sandi was having a party in there.

Next time we play Freo, I'd play Korchek if we can....Kreuzer gets overwhelmed by the size disparity.

I thought Gibbs again was putrid. Shocking, lazy disposal and he squibbed on one marking contest which would have seen a shot on goal 40 out.

Would trade him in a heart beat for a good deal.

Plenty of numbers but as s senior, highly skilled player....very, very lazy.

Graham, other than yesterday, has been entirely serviceable.

Our game plan is simply too, too slow. Gives us big stats but stops us scoring. Bolts needs to dish up better.... but that said if you can't win or even touch the ball in the centre no chance in a game....

SPS has gone missing since his break out game. Need to find a role for him in which he can get him involved or put him in the 2s to get some hand on leather time....

I thought our intensity was  way off after quarter time - it reminded me of days gone by when we would play 20 minutes of good footy then think the job was done.....

That said, injuries didn't help but at least Jones will now get a well deserved run.

Time to bring back Smedts and Palmer imo. Rest a few of the kids on a rotation.

Any wtf is happening with SoJ's kicking - looks more spooked than Levi did at his worst!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
Totally agree. Pleasantly surprised with Cuningham. I thought his work in tight early was sure and effective - good hands; good decisions. He faded but had plenty of mates.

He definitely looks the part physically and has some dash. Needs to be given more games....haven't seen the stats but did a lot more than SPS you'd think.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
Fly, you've summed up Gibbs to a tee. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
Fly, you've summed up Gibbs to a tee.

Gibbs should be in our best 3 or 4 every week. He should be influencing matches in the vein of a Selwood or a Hodge of yesteryear (i don't mean the rough stuff)

If he was doing that we'd be in the 8 I dare say, or close to....

I think he's been in the top 6 maybe once or twice all year. Do the deal with the Crows and get a couple of young blokes in who give a f..... Bryce doesn't, arguably never has....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
It cracks me up a bit to read some of the reactions.

To hear the slow play hurt us, when it effectively was shelved after the first quarter for a more run and gun style because Freo  negated the short kick by manning up and the disposal efficiency dropped off.

The other thing that really hurt was losing Rowe.  Killed our structure.  Docherty started playing his role in the aerial contests, meaning we had one less competent rebounder once the ball hit the deck bringing the game back to Freo.

Losing Thomas workrate cannot be underestimated either as he is a cool head under pressure when others tend to go missing i.e. his checkside kick goal in the first quarter.

We are still a young developing output, that relies heavily on older bodies and heads to compete, and the youngsters do well when there is less pressure on them to perform.  It was a dirty day, but its no insult to get beaten by a mature side, on their own paddock, whom the umpires gave a bit of an armchair ride from quarter time to three quarter time. 

Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson, Docherty and Kreuzer are drawing a lot of criticism, but they were some of our better players.  Ed Curnow's workrate was massive. 

If we had regained our composure and played that keeping off style a bit more we would have absolutely won.  I think our changing structure meant we had to change tact to something less suitable to our teams current skillset and that was ultimately the difference between winning and losing besides 5 marks inside 50 to the umpires.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
Gibbs should be in our best 3 or 4 every week.

He usually is, and was again yesterday.

He should be influencing matches in the vein of a Selwood or a Hodge of yesteryear (i don't mean the rough stuff)

He's not as good as Hodge or Sellwood, it makes no difference that he was pick one.
He's a very good footballer but he's not in the elite bracket.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #53
Time to give plowman reality check and should be dropped and 2 can we change our game plan Bolton this slow ,long kicking into our fwd lins is so predictable to the oppostion.

Reply #54
He definitely looks the part physically and has some dash. Needs to be given more games....haven't seen the stats but did a lot more than SPS you'd think.....

Just goes to show how wrong you can be! ;D

Sam Petrevski-Seton   5   3   8   3   0   10   0   1   0   0   0   67
    David Cuningham   6   7   13   1   0   5   2   2   0   0   0   51

Might have the size and shape, but played more like a real Lucas!

I don't want anymore Lucas types, ever!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Just goes to show how wrong you can be! ;D

Sam Petrevski-Seton   5   3   8   3   0   10   0   1   0   0   0   67
    David Cuningham   6   7   13   1   0   5   2   2   0   0   0   51

Might have the size and shape, but played more like a real Lucas!

I don't want anymore Lucas types, ever!

Are you suggesting Cuningham is a Lucas type?

You must be watching a different sport.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #56
He usually is, and was again yesterday.

He's not as good as Hodge or Sellwood, it makes no difference that he was pick one.
He's a very good footballer but he's not in the elite bracket.

Well the Jim Park voting thus far in 2017 would counter your pitch rather decisively I'd say.....don't judge him by numbers just him by whether he influences a game. Most days he does not.

He could be every bit as god as Selwood or Hodge (of old) if he put in harder....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
Well the Jim Park voting thus far in 2017 would counter your pitch rather decisively I'd say.....don't judge him by numbers just him by whether he influences a game. Most days he does not.

He could be every bit as god as Selwood or Hodge (of old) if he put in harder....

I'm with you on Gibbs....lazy disposal and a lot of his possies are wasted and do no damage, our other players give him the footy because he is meant to have elite disposal but he is too inconsistent with his kicking....felt sorry for Casboult with balls landing at his feet or weighted wrongly so he was out of position all the time...

Reply #58
Our spoiling efforts and smothering attempts were pathetic. Plowman the chief culprit. He and others barely made contact with the ball in pack situations, a cardinal sin which left us exposed on many occasions.

Freo had too many nippy forwards who left us flat footed. Too many Blues defenders flying in the same pack played into Freo's rovers hands. It wasn't smart by us.

One can only hope Sheahan or Byrne can inject some pace out of the backline. Could Cunningham or Pickett play that role ?

Reply #59

There's a bias against Gibbs among Carlton supporters because he was taken at pick one and it was assumed that he would be an elite player.
It didn't work out that way and there's a general sense of disappointment, Watts, Fraser and others have suffered the same fate at the hands of the supporters of their clubs. 
He puts in as hard as anyone else in my opinion, but he'll never be a Sellwood or Hodge.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.