Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79527 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #45
Ticks a number of boxes, but his injury history makes him a risky choice.

I appreciate that and that's why having Simmo as a VC is quality insurance. It's a risk I'd take. ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #46
I appreciate that and that's why having Simmo as a VC is quality insurance. It's a risk I'd take. ;)

Simmo should've been given the captaincy when Judd gave it up.

Is it too late for him now ?

Reply #47
Simmo should've been given the captaincy when Judd gave it up.

Is it too late for him now ?

I think you either stick with Murphy or go with one of the younger generation.

Reply #49
Out of left field.

Sam Docherty
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
 Cant see the point in changing now.
Murph wasnt my 1st choice when 1st elected but he busted his pooper vave last year when few else did.
I cant see where the gain is with such a young list. Weve changed so many players over and are so young that just a littlle bit of stability might be warranted here.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #51
No way is Kreuzer captaincy material. Not in a very public AFL environment any way.

I see many only talking about on field leadership, when it comes to choosing a captain. They are only on the field for 2.5 hours a week. Does it matter what a captain is like and does for the other 30+ hours per week that he is working for the club? Including media work?

Kreuzer may be a great on field leader, a great trainer and role model, I would happily have him in the leadership group. But as captain of the club where being a public face and spokesperson is as much a part of the job as anything else, I don't think Kreuzer would even put his hand up for it.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #52
Love your work usually Milkit but seriously WTF.

Crazy to take it from Murphy now and put the pressure on Cripps and there is literally no one else, maybe just Docherty. Let Murph have it for at last another year.

I think Kerridge will be in the leadership group at the very least. He seems to have garnered respect already from the playing group.

I think Murphy will still be Captain but there are other players, including some of the new recruits, that could do the job just as well. They just don't have the luxury of being a long term servant of the club. The other thing is Murphy's leadership may improve dramatically with the new vibe around the club and others willing to share the load on field. I can live with him being a media cardboard cutout.

Reply #53
I think that the club has to demonstrate that there are no sacred cows standing in the way of what we have to do to be successful. This captain talk is a part of that and will reinforce the idea that the club has in place the best possible option as captain. I lean toward Murph keeping the job for 2016.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
I'd be very disappointed if we crucify a kid by making him captain too early.

I can only assess on field performances of potential candidates, and Murphy, Simpson or Docherty are the only ones who come close to being suitable choices. There may be others but getting on the park is a big part of being captain and quite a few fall at that hurdle.

If I had to make a guess, given BBs "Get Comfortable being Uncomfortable" line, I expect him to look at someone like SpecialK. But I'd be concerned about having a bloke captain who on average only plays about 1/2 the available games.

Perhaps it's time to kibosh the captaincy convention and appoint some team leaders, defense, midfield, forward, media, tactical and training?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Yep
I'm more interested in Cripps ''backing up" his form from last year.
I'm pretty confident he will and in fact improve on it....but we need to let him concentrate on that for a year or two.

Reply #56
Out of left field.

Sam Docherty

That's not left field at all....that's an excellent suggestion
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #57
I think everyone is on notice at the club, and Bolton doesn't owe anything to anyone.

But assuming he wants to do it, i'd be surprised if Murphy isn't captain, and i don't see what we gain from removing him.  It is too soon for Cripps, i think we all see him as a future captain but give him some time.

Reply #58
Captain Docherty would be a smart move. Choosing a 'low-profile' player to ride the bumps over the next few years until Cripps is media-savvy for the spotlight in 2018. Docherty has just the sort of low profile 'workman-like' attitude that Bolton will be imparting on the group.

You'd have the captain marshalling and encouraging young Weitering, Glass-McCasker & SOS Jr., helping them 'walk taller' & generally reinforcing our new look backline. Docherty will be there in 5 years time which is better than a stop-gap option like Walker or Simmo.