Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74182 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #255
Liam Jones has two years left on his contract with Carlton and at the moment he is a long way off deserving a senior game even with last year’s wooden spoon winners, says Mark Robinson.

He has suggested that former Blues coach Mick Malthouse ought to be blamed for the club having a senior player on the list that looks incapable of producing on the field.

“We can sugar-coat it or be brutally honest, but he can’t play round one,” said Robinson on SEN radio.

“What he did yesterday, which was really good, was his aggression on the contest but the problem is he can’t mark it and he can’t get it.”

The 25-year-old forward only managed one disposal against Essendon in the ten-goal defeat at Ikon Park on Sunday, following up from his one-touch performance in the first NAB Challenge game.

“If Brendon Bolton is about setting standards Liam Jones hasn’t done anything near enough to be earning him a spot,” added Robinson.

“I’m going to be really brutal here, it’s not Liam Jones’ fault.

“He got drafted and he is absolutely doing everything he possibly can and we’ve seen him play some really good football.

“What has put Liam in this position I believe is Mick Malthouse, he recruited Liam and put him on a three-year contract at Carlton.

“Most people thought Liam was dead as a footballer and with that comes the expectation – that’s been a really bad decision.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/wallace-were-blues-scared-to-play-big-boys/robbo-honestly-liam-jones-is-mick-s-fault#3Vi2axwTw2GMHukc.97
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #256
I bet my bottom dollar he wont play round 1.

Practice matches are for this reason, experimentation.

Hes been given an opportunity and has been found wanting.
I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #257
http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/wallace-were-blues-scared-to-play-big-boys/robbo-honestly-liam-jones-is-mick-s-fault#3Vi2axwTw2GMHukc.97

I think we have the three most maligned players in the comp.

Zac Dawson loves these guys.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #259
Jones.....Daisy......Gibbs?

I was going with Jones, Rowe and Tutt.

Mainly from our own supporters, but I can see where you're coming from.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #260
Liam Jones...LOL. 

Reply #261
It's Mick's fault Jones only got 1 disposal yesterday? Good one Robbo! Almost as good as it being the AFL and ASADA's fault that Essendon injected their players with PEDs.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #262
It's Mick's fault Jones only got 1 disposal yesterday? Good one Robbo! Almost as good as it being the AFL and ASADA's fault that Essendon injected their players with PEDs.

No he's saying it's Mick's fault he's at the club on a three year contract.....but I'm sure you already knew that.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #263
Play him as a back and all he has to worry about is to stop his player getting the ball.
Play him man on man all the time so he has only one thing to think about, not about running patterns etc.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #264
Early days I know but I wonder if SOS might be getting a little concerned that none of the boys he got to the club from GWS have really shown anything of note. So far the drafted boys and those we got from Adelaide seem to be the ones showing promise, along with the crowd fave Galucci... but as I said, early days.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #265
Mick is gone.

Yeah we brought Jones in on a 3 year deal, we also brought in Docherty and Everitt who have done well. Jacksh and Whiley still have time to prove themselves although I'm not confident myself.

Noticed I said "we"? That's because it's a team decision, a number of people including the the guy Mick reported to (Andrew McKay) are involved in trades and recruitment.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #266
No he's saying it's Mick's fault he's at the club on a three year contract.....but I'm sure you already knew that.

I can live with us signing him given that we were set to lose Waite and were very short on for tall forwards, under those circumstances he was worth a punt.
It's the three year contract I'm struggling with.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #267
I can live with us signing him given that we were set to lose Waite and were very short on for tall forwards, under those circumstances he was worth a punt.
It's the three year contract I'm struggling with.

Exactly. No one else wanted him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #268
Play him as a back and all he has to worry about is to stop his player getting the ball.
Play him man on man all the time so he has only one thing to think about, not about running patterns etc.

I'm afraid any decent key forward would leave him for dead  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #269
+1 on the 3 year deal.

We might have known a fair way out that Hendo was going too as these things are fairly transparent these days so they might have future proofed for the first time in our history.

At least he tries.  Thats better than many of the players we have had over the journey.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson