Skip to main content
Topic: Pick your 22 for Rounds 1 and 12 (Read 12132 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pick your 22 for Rounds 1 and 12

Reply #30
x2..No Daisy though...he will be the most expensive player the NB's have ever had kicking the dew of the grass... ;)
Wonder if Weitering might play forward and play a negative role on Rance?....

I heard a bit of Chocko Williams on SEN yesterday and was surprised at his assessment of Rance.  To paraphrase, he said that Rance did some brilliant stuff but undid it by regularly kicking straight to the opposition and conceding easy goals.  It's not something I have really noticed but it did remind me of some of our blokes.

Anyway, the idea of playing Weitering on Rance has merit, particularly if the pressure the young fellow can apply leads to more poor decision-making and execution.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
In time, MacCreadie will be the reason why Weitering can move forward, but not just yet.

Reply #32
B. Simpson, Rowe,  Docherty
HB. Weitering, Marchbank,, Plowman
C.  Murphy, Gibbs, Cunningham
HF. Silvagni, Casboult, C Curnow
F. Pickett, McKay, Wright
R. Kreuser, ,Cripps,  E.Curnow

Sumner, Kerridge, Palmer, Smedts

Settle the back 6 as much as possible, keep your fire power in and around the centre, let the youth run riot up forward.

Reply #33
The team I picked back in January needs fine tuning!

FB:  Plowman  Weitering  Marchbank
HB:  Simpson  Rowe  Docherty
C:   Boekhorst Cuningham  Cripps  E Curnow
HF:  Gorringe J Silvagni  Casboult  Wright
FF:  Palmer  C Curnow  Petrevski-Seton Armfield
Foll: Kreuzer  Gibbs  Murphy
Int: Kerridge Macreadie Pickett Smedts

Weitering will spend time forward and Rowe will give Kreuzer a chop out in the ruck.  SOJ and Charlie Curnow will be involved in the midfield rotations.    

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
FB: Plowman  Rowe  Docherty
HB: Simpson  Weitering  Marchbank
C:   C Curnow  Murphy E Curnow
HF:  Wright  Casboult  Silvagni
FF:  Pickett  McKay Armfield

FOLL: Kreuzer Cripps Gibbs

INT: Cunningham Fisher Kerridge Palmer

Reply #35
SPS or Army?

The former if fit, every day of the week.

4 mids on the interchange? i'd have Smedts or even Macreadie....i reckon the latter will be the steal of the draft.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #36
There seems to be general consensus re our back 6. It will be interesting to see how much it differs from the selected team in 2 weeks time!

Reply #37
SPS or Army?

The former if fit, every day of the week.

4 mids on the interchange? i'd have Smedts or even Macreadie....i reckon the latter will be the steal of the draft.

I liked the look of MacReadie in the Saints game, attacks the footy well and seems suited to that intercept marking role across half back...
Smedts was reasonable given his fitness issues of recent times and just getting through games is probably a bonus.....would be some chance for round 1.
Army is a fan favourite and has a career off the field waiting for him at the club...I think whe will get a few games but his future is now off the round in player welfare type roles etc...

Reply #38
The team I picked back in January needs fine tuning!

FB:  Plowman  Weitering  Marchbank
HB:  Simpson  Rowe  Docherty
C:   Boekhorst Cuningham  Cripps  E Curnow
HF:  Gorringe J Silvagni  Casboult  Wright
FF:  Palmer  C Curnow  Petrevski-Seton Armfield
Foll: Kreuzer  Gibbs  Murphy
Int: Kerridge Macreadie Pickett Smedts

Weitering will spend time forward and Rowe will give Kreuzer a chop out in the ruck.  SOJ and Charlie Curnow will be involved in the midfield rotations.  

Rowe won't be rucking with Casboult there, who did it with Kreuzer in the first JLT game. Yes, Weitering may well play forward.

Reply #39
Miss Maven, I've copied your team.

The back 6 is the same, but with the following changes :

- Cas and McKay swap positions. I'm persisting with my Cas in the goal square theory, at least for now.
-Assuming LeBois is allowed to play, he's in.
- Drop Palmer, Army on the I/C
-Drop Cunningham, Jones on the I/C

C:   C Curnow  Murphy E Curnow
HF:  Wright McKay Silvagni J
FF:  Pickett  Casboult LeBois

FOLL: Kreuzer Cripps Gibbs

INT: Jones Fisher Kerridge Army

Reply #40
With the possible exception of Rowe, that back line is not shabby by any means.

Reply #41
Gee I reckon Rowe cops an unfair whack from people at times.....

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-03-07/keeping-it-simple-is-sams-way

Through 2016 Rowe primarily sought consistency of performance, “and for the most part I was getting that”. The good judges saw that too, and so it was that Rowe finished equal sixth alongside Matthew Wright in the John Nicholls Medal.

It’s a matter of record that Rowe appeared in all 22 club matches and tallied the most game time of any of his Carlton contemporaries, averaging 95.45 per cent a game. It’s also a truism that Rowe was the AFL’s numero uno for one-percenters with 215 through the season proper.

IMO he has well and truly earned his spot in our best 22, as a KPD.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #42
Yes, he has earned his spot, but earning a spot is relative to who else is competing. He's an honest trier who has no doubt improved. But his ball use and decision making are both suss, and is the worst of those back 6 in these two aspects.

Reply #43
Yes, he has earned his spot, but earning a spot is relative to who else is competing. He's an honest trier who has no doubt improved. But his ball use and decision making are both suss, and is the worst of those back 6 in these two aspects.

... and first in the AFL for 1%ers

I certainly wouldn't rate him as the worst of that back 6 in terms of ball use and decision making.  Have you ever taken note of how many times Docherty turns the ball over?  And he plays as a loose man most of the time.  Rowe has a different role to the other defenders and he does it very well.  As the website article notes, those who vote on our B&F had him as our equal sixth best player.

Reply #44
... and first in the AFL for 1%ers

I certainly wouldn't rate him as the worst of that back 6 in terms of ball use and decision making.  Have you ever taken note of how many times Docherty turns the ball over?  And he plays as a loose man most of the time.  Rowe has a different role to the other defenders and he does it very well.  As the website article notes, those who vote on our B&F had him as our equal sixth best player.

Yes he was 6th, but Doc the Turnover Merchant was 1st.

I'm not anti Rowe. If we want to be the team/club of our collective dreams, of our collective aspirations, we can't keep glossing over players weak points. Watch Rowe when he takes possession - his first instinct is for the quick hand ball or short pass off to a team mate. Whether by instinct or instruction, I know not. Maybe he simply needs to back himself more.