Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong (Read 3870 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #30
Might need McGovern to go with Cameron, not sure if Young has the wheels as Scott has been using Cameron further up the ground where he can just run around ala Buddy style...

Reply #31
McGovern would make a handy sub. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
I wonder if opposition supporters agonise over who is going to match up on Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Docherty, Saad, Motlop, etc?

Young has Cameron covered, Weitering has Hawkins covered, our midfield should dominate and it’s really only a couple of out of form players that may be of concern.

Getting Pitto straight back into the team is a no-brainer but McGovern?  He has played a couple of half decent games since he became a Bluebagger and I think that he’s well off being an automatic inclusion.  The only positive is that he would be our missing seventh defender.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Might need McGovern to go with Cameron, not sure if Young has the wheels as Scott has been using Cameron further up the ground where he can just run around ala Buddy style...
I suspect if they are bringing in Gov it's to setup a cut off of supply rather than win a one on one.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34

It's a long bow but McGovern would be the ideal match-up for Cameron, especially for one big reason... accountability. McGovern would run off him, and initiate offenses.

With McGovern, Saad and Doc all taking an opponent AND running off/initiating attacks... well, that's a headache for 3 forwards and their coaches.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
McGovern would make a handy sub.

I would rather give him a run in the VFL, if he did not play AFL. Coming to the pointy end of the season and he needs the miles in his legs to get match fit.

Reply #36
I suspect if they are bringing in Gov it's to setup a cut off of supply rather than win a one on one.

100%.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
I suspect if they are bringing in Gov it's to setup a cut off of supply rather than win a one on one.

Cameron is a difficult player to match up on.  He wins the ball up the ground but is also the target for many of Geelong's inside 50s.  If there's a weakness to his game, it's contested marking but he offsets that by marking on the lead or in space.  I don't think we want Weitering dragged up the ground and Young has the aerobic capacity to stick with Cameron and spoil his marking attempts.

If McGovern comes in (I think he should have a run in the VFL first but I haven't seen what he's doing at training), it would be in a Tom Stewart role; stopping supply by intercept possessions and prevent marks on the lead.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
Cameron is a difficult player to match up on.  He wins the ball up the ground but is also the target for many of Geelong's inside 50s.  If there's a weakness to his game, it's contested marking but he offsets that by marking on the lead or in space.  I don't think we want Weitering dragged up the ground and Young has the aerobic capacity to stick with Cameron and spoil his marking attempts.

If McGovern comes in (I think he should have a run in the VFL first but I haven't seen what he's doing at training), it would be in a Tom Stewart role; stopping supply by intercept possessions and prevent marks on the lead.
Yes, Cameron gets up the ground, but it helped GWS when he was spending most of his game time on the wing outside of range. If we force him into that position I think it's a win for us leaving Hawkins as the primary KPF in range of goal.

Let's not dismiss Gov's value going the other way, early in the season his ability from the HBF to pick out and hit targets forward of the centre was spectacular and more than once helped us swing momentum.

Finally, if Gov is actually right to go and it's not "early", there is a good argument to get as many games into him as possible before the end of the season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Cameron goes to water in big games at the end of the year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40
Cameron has been playing well up the ground and they have been using Rohan as a type of decoy 2nd key forward to also drag players away from Hawkins and their small forwards.
Mitch Duncan is a player who needs some work to put him into him as well, with Hawkins, Cameron and Stengle getting the headlines he has been sneaking around getting his couple of goals every week and had 32 possies vs Melbourne who run a tight ship down back but couldnt find a player to keep him quiet.

Reply #41
Cameron goes to water in big games at the end of the year.
Rohan is worse in finals and its hard to think of a player who has a worse finals record imo, for a talented player he has no middle ground and is either red hot or frozen cold.....

Reply #42
Rohan is worse in finals and its hard to think of a player who has a worse finals record imo, for a talented player he has no middle ground and is either red hot or frozen cold.....
Is this perhaps the sign of someone who goes 100% all through the season, and when the rest around them eventually decide to go flat out they have nothing left to spare?

I thought much the same about Selwood, but he comes good late in finals when it matters, Rohan had some reasonable last quarters as well. When the hyped up lunatics around them start to run out of legs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Dad's army is actually doing extremely well with their older players this year.  They are building nicely, and from what I have seen not driven their players into the ground to keep winning.  Expect them to be doing well in the finals.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
I think we have to play Gov.

Have Kemp as the sub if we are worried if he will stay fit enough.

Gov can play forward or back and cover injuries to our starting 4 KPPs if we get one. It won't hurt our structure if we do.
If we lose one of those 4, its game over.