Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 18 Carlton vs GWS at Ikon (Read 1413 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2022 Rd 18 Carlton vs GWS at Ikon

This game is on Saturday at 1805 at Carlton, another game under lights.
I honestly think we play better in the daytime.
Never mind, it is a home game and an opportunity for some players to regain form and fitness. Every game we get into them is a positive.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 18 Carlton vs GWS at Ikon

Reply #1
Well, it looks like Pittonet will play. I thought he was more likely to play seniors than McGovern, but that shows what I know.
No sure who else will line up for us.
Marchbank is a good chance, as his injury report looked very positive.
Martin is an outside chance, but not one I would feel confident in predicting. I guess it depends how he gets through the training schedule. He needs game time before the finals.
Carroll probably won't play. Sounds like he has a few niggles and would benefit from a week off. However, he will be missed.

GWS are probably the only team with a worse injury list than us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Stocker, Dow, and Pitto playing well so far. Akui has shown promise in the air in the fwd line. JGM off injured ?? hand

5.8 (38) at half time v 36. We need to straighten up our kicking or this will be a disappointing L.

Who's 77?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #3
Stocker, Dow, and Pitto playing well so far. Akui has shown promise in the air in the fwd line. JGM off injured ?? hand

5.8 (38) at half time v 36. We need to straighten up our kicking or this will be a disappointing L.

Who's 77?

Alex Cincotta

Dominating now...27 points up.

Reply #4
We lead 81-39 at three quarter time.

Marchbank's had 18 disposals.
Pittonet 31 Hitouts

Importantly, both staying healthy to this point.

Dow not as many possessions as usual but has kicked a couple of goals.

Starting to rain now so that's a fair lead.

Reply #5
The GWS VFL squad are complete rubbish, they look like they wouldn't get a game in VAFA 4th Division.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I've watched a bit of VFL this year.
I don't think I've seen Akuei do one useful thing in the games I've watched.
But he has a pretty impressive 'non-useful' body of work.
He's one of those 'almost' footballers....so probably worth persevering with as a long term project.

Reply #7
Full time- Carlton 13-17-95 to GWS 9-4-58

Reply #8
Probably the best game I have seen Dow play - applied plenty of pressure and tackled quite abit. Nice balance to his game where its purely clearance dependent.
Akuei has loads of upside like Mirkov need another pre season.

Reply #9
Probably the best game I have seen Dow play - applied plenty of pressure and tackled quite abit. Nice balance to his game where its purely clearance dependent.
Akuei has loads of upside like Mirkov need another pre season.

Yep
Both are works in  progress.
Akuei tries things that are just a fraction off at the moment.
Mirkov's ruckwork is improving.

Reply #10
After I praised Akuei, he had a couple of howlers 😳 There are times when he looks completely lost. I guess his opponent was having a good time then. Reading the game takes time, if it comes at all.

#80 was very sneaky i50
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #11
In the end, we won comfortably. We had so many more scoring shots that it is hard to think what could have been. However, considering how few AFL Blues were playing, it was a great result.
[1] It rained a lot in the last quarter, and we were kicking against the tide.
[2] The VFL mids really stood up tonight.
Handley is back to the sort of form he was showing last year and had 35 possessions and 10 clearances. I really rate this bloke. His isn't a speedster, but he works hard and gets where the ball is.
Trudgeon was back after missing last week and was strong. He had 28 disposals and 9 clearances.
Young Patrick Dozzi had 26. He's good kid. Plays for the Northern Knights and looks impressive. Solid and hard at it.
Tom North played probably his best game for the year with 26 possessions.
Alex Cincotta has 25 possessions off half back.
[3] Stocker and Dow were solid without being spectacular. Dow was tagged tightly, but still got 22 possessions and 5 clearances. GWS were so busy trying to silence Dow that they left the others open.
Marchbank and Kemp were solid in defence, but neither really dominated.
[4] Pittonet and Mirkov dominated in the ruck. Both had over 30 taps. Pitto was dominant early, while Mirkov dominated after half time. GWS had a total of 4 taps for the night.
[5] Corey Durdin had 16 disposals and played OK, but he didn't kick a goal. He's having a very quiet patch at the moment. We really need him to step come finals time. Matt Owies should be available next week.
[6] We really need a key forward to focus on. Glass McCasker kicked 3 goals from 4 possessions, but we need real target is we are going to go places.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
"5] Corey Durdin had 16 disposals and played OK, but he didn't kick a goal. He's having a very quiet patch at the moment. We really need him to step come finals time. Matt Owies should be available next week."

Case of mistaken identity???

Reply #13
After I praised Akuei, he had a couple of howlers 😳 There are times when he looks completely lost. I guess his opponent was having a good time then. Reading the game takes time, if it comes at all.

Yep
I missed most of the first half...I don't think he had an effective diposal after half time that I saw.
So it was probably a  bit of a harsh judgement on my part.
The guy does have a presence and moves well.
He also has a good leap
Nearly took a great mark in the second half but like a lot of what he tried it just failed to come off.
At the moment you would say he is a fair way off...but if things do start to move in his favour it could be an exciting development to watch.

Reply #14
I think we also need to praise the VFL players they have been fantastic all year and this is a better path way than late picks in the draft