Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6158 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #90
To be quite frank, the stuff around whether Marchbank touched it or not is starting to really P me off...it's covering for some pretty average umpiring.  I mean, are Carlton not allowed to attempt to clear D50 under immense pressure?  Is every errant kick going to given as deliberate out of bounds?!? 

Basically **** YOU salty Melbourne support ers.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #91
It will still be the same result 100 years from now, Carlton by 4 points...so everyone should just get over it.

The bizarre thing is that so many folks will say it 'definitely' was a goal even though they were nowhere near it, and a reviewer with the aid of technology couldn't give a definitive judgement... or even be confident enough to overturn the opinion of a goal umpire who was there on the spot.

Reply #92
Has anyone in the media mentioned WHY Ray has been afforded the luxury of not having to bounce the ball at centre bounces?

It should be questioned because the 'perfect elevation' is going to advantage some ruckmen over others. With his height and physical presence, I'm sure Gawn loves to know exactly where the ball is going. The advantage of the bounce is that it can be slightly unpredictable which means that dominant ruckmen have to second guess what is going to happen.  Easy answer, if we keep the bounce, the best bouncer of the 4 umpires bounce it every time.

Reply #93
... or even be confident enough to overturn the opinion of a goal umpire who was there on the spot.
It's exactly as Goodwin stated, the person closest to the event in the best position to make a decision called touched.

If you watch the unedited video you'll see Marchbank signalling touched as he falls to the ground, his signal is instant.

Secondly, the side on footage the media outlets have stopped showing seemed to indicate the ball was not only touched by Marchbank's hand but also hit Marchbank on the knee on the way down well before it crossed the line.

Personally, I'd rather leave all decisions to the goal umpires and kybosh the sluggish momentum killing score review system altogether, it become an excuse to not make a decision, and a tool the likes of BT use to inject excitement in the absence of fundamental commentary skills!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
It's bizarre, it's like a lot of neutral supporters wanted it to be a goal.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #95
It's bizarre, it's like a lot of neutral supporters wanted it to be a goal.
The media want the controversy, they are fundamentally lazy, they like stories that can write their own narrative as they rate highly with very little effort!

As a Blues fan, we should be use to listening to and watching broadcasts where the bulk of the commentary is against us, anyone who watched the launch of the new book documenting the 70s would confirm that when the media took Balme's perspective over Southby, ask @ElwoodBlues1 and @Lods what they think of Balme! ;o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
The media want the controversy, they are fundamentally lazy, they like stories that can write their own narrative as they rate highly with very little effort!

As a Blues fan, we should be use to listening to and watching broadcasts where the bulk of the commentary is against us, anyone who watched the launch of the new book documenting the 70s would confirm that when the media took Balme's perspective over Southby, ask @ElwoodBlues1 and @Lods what they think of Balme! ;o

I have had s Geelong supporter and a Richmond supporter tell me today it was a clear goal.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #98
I have had s Geelong supporter and a Richmond supporter tell me today it was a clear goal.
I had a StK and Haw prick tell me it was a goal on Sat after it occured. Salty much?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
Just say to them I've watched the replay and I didn't see anyone else next to the goal umpire other than a few players.

Reply #100
If Marchbank says he touch it then that is good enough

Reply #101
Players tend to react honestly in the heat of the battle. You can usually tell in the split second after an incident if the player drops their head and looks forlorn, or if they jump up and down gesturing maniacally to the umpire.

Reply #102

There is no way known anyone watching the replay could say one way or the other. They a full of sh*t if they think it was a clear goal. It was an inconclusive as it gets. Under the pre-review system it was a point because the goal umpire, bloke making the decision 2 metres away, said it flicked his right wrist.

Reply #103
I watched us lose a game by a ball deflecting from Wiggo's hand from Peter Riccardi, plus Hawkins kicked a goal in a close GF which wasn't.  When it comes to goal umpire decisions Geelong have used up a lot of luck and their supporters should STFU.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #104
re: Petracca...I thought it was a goal initially but also thought Marchbank was interfered with and it should have been a free so no goal awarded.
@LP Just the mention of Balme's name gets my blood boiling....