Skip to main content
Topic: The Hard Road To The Premiership  (Read 61559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Hard Road To The Premiership

Reply #165
Just on the entries, our fwds either lead too much to, or we get pushed towards, the pockets alot. So that appears (to me at least) where alot of our shots are taken from which are a higher degree of difficulty. Is that our fwd structure breakdown down/being flawed? Or is it a ploy by teams against us? Having said that, we seem to miss a lot of getable ones directly in front also.

Good Points..Totally Agree...the reason players like Dickson and Membrey are so accurate is they never get too far away from the goals and in Dicksons case always seem to be doubling back into the corridor and having shots from in front of goal.
You wait and see vs Richmond.....having Rance in the corridor near goal will force our blokes wide into the pockets unless Bolton has some plan to take him out of the game, am sick of seeing intercept marking players dining out on our inability to provide and hit targets because we bomb the ball due to congested forward lines, then other teams rebound and have so much space up forward with our blokes caught too far forward and players like Martin  are one out and running back towards goal when the ball gets kicked over our players heads.....

Reply #166
Good Points..Totally Agree...the reason players like Dickson and Membrey are so accurate is they never get too far away from the goals and in Dicksons case always seem to be doubling back into the corridor and having shots from in front of goal.
You wait and see vs Richmond.....having Rance in the corridor near goal will force our blokes wide into the pockets unless Bolton has some plan to take him out of the game, am sick of seeing intercept marking players dining out on our inability to provide and hit targets because we bomb the ball due to congested forward lines, then other teams rebound and have so much space up forward with our blokes caught too far forward and players like Martin  are one out and running back towards goal when the ball gets kicked over our players heads.....

Not sure about Bolton, but i've got one.

Kick it high about 1m in front of Rance.....clear space for Casboult to run at the ball. Make the ball his secondary focus.
Rance problem solved.
 >:D

Reply #167

Kick it high about 1m in front of Rance.....clear space for Casboult to run at the ball. Make the ball his secondary focus.
Rance problem solved.

IMO, the net result of that is giving away a free, possibly a report for Cas and no goal. If we put Cas in the goal square one on one v Rance, we'll get a goal, without giving away a free or getting reported.

Reply #168

Rance problem solved.

I'm all for the Bolt being physical and upsetting Rance...and a few others, he doesnt throw his weight around often enough and
a few sore Richmond players looking over their shoulders would create more space for others to operate in.
I hope Bolton can broaden the Bolts mind to be more than a mark and kick player....

Reply #169
IMO, the net result of that is giving away a free, possibly a report for Cas and no goal. If we put Cas in the goal square one on one v Rance, we'll get a goal, without giving away a free or getting reported.

Paul...Think we have tried that....it never ends up being one on one as we are too slow and other teams get the numbers back and its the Bolt vs 3-4 players and we lack the skill to sit the ball right for the Bolt to use his extra height when it is one on one.

Reply #170
Paul...Think we have tried that....it never ends up being one on one as we are too slow and other teams get the numbers back and its the Bolt vs 3-4 players and we lack the skill to sit the ball right for the Bolt to use his extra height when it is one on one.

Yes, as I said elsewhere, there's lots of things to fix. Reckon Cas could out mark two players ala Fev, but we need to anticipate that he can't mark everything, and we need forwards that can make sure the defense doesn't mark it - so spoiling, creating a contested situation, defensive type forwards that can lock the ball in etc. As you say, the ease with which the defense runs the ball out of our F50 is infuriating.

Reply #171

...and a possibly injury to Rance...and guaranteed to second guess himself the next time he's put in a similar situation.

Sometimes you lose the battle, but win the war. ;)

Why do you think Tony Lockett and Gary Ablett Sr used to get reported for running through blokes? To let them know that this is there space and if you get in it, that will be the result. Its amazing how few opponents would do it a 2nd time. ;)

Reply #172
As long as Casboult as eyes for the ball all's fair in a marking contest.

Unless he's attacking the pill at full boar he's useless, need him to scare the opposition defenders with the possibility of what he might do.  Dont underestimate intimidation in our game, protects our kids and mids around the ground.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #173
...and a possibly injury to Rance...and guaranteed to second guess himself the next time he's put in a similar situation.

Sometimes you lose the battle, but win the war. ;)

Why do you think Tony Lockett and Gary Ablett Sr used to get reported for running through blokes? To let them know that this is there space and if you get in it, that will be the result. Its amazing how few opponents would do it a 2nd time. ;)

Well, Cas isn't either of those two blokes, and I doubt the club would look the other way, as they do with stars. He's just been given a one year extension, the club has invested x amount of time and money in the off season reemploying Rocca etc. to try and finally fix his issues. I'm not sure they would look too kindly on him getting done for a couple of weeks. That might just about finish him as far as playing seniors is concerned. Which may not be a bad thing. 

Reply #174
As long as Casboult as eyes for the ball all's fair in a marking contest.

Unless he's attacking the pill at full boar he's useless, need him to scare the opposition defenders with the possibility of what he might do.  Dont underestimate intimidation in our game, protects our kids and mids around the ground.

I'm not sure he's clever enough to disguise such a tactic.

You've spelled Professor incorrectly.

Reply #175
Any forward who doesn't attack the ball hard shouldnt be at senior level.

The spelling prevents being spammed.

Reply #176
Any forward who doesn't attack the ball hard shouldnt be at senior level.

The spelling prevents being spammed.

I have no issue with him or anyone attacking the ball hard.

For all we know, the only reason they gave Cas 1 year is to provide a bit of muscle for Harry Mac et al, as they enter their first / second season of senior footy. They may not have, and never have had, any intention of giving Cas anything beyond 2017, irrespective of what he produces on the field.

I've never received spam from csc. I thought you weren't aware of the typo. My bad.

Reply #177
No biggie.

The TV isn't always the best way to watch the footy but it highlights one aspect - watch the big pack situations when a ball gets bombed in long and high, you'll soon see which defenders have eyes that are darting around in directions other than the ball.  There's a few of them in the AFL, one who I can recall attempting to hurt Casboult in a pack but who came off second best!

Reply #178
No biggie.

The TV isn't always the best way to watch the footy but it highlights one aspect - watch the big pack situations when a ball gets bombed in long and high, you'll soon see which defenders have eyes that are darting around in directions other than the ball.  There's a few of them in the AFL, one who I can recall attempting to hurt Casboult in a pack but who came off second best!

Thanks matey.

Well, the edgy, nervous defenders will be even more so with the ball kicked in high and deep to the top of the goal square, and with a good forward set up. Whilst such a kick gives the defense time to run back and set up, it also gives our 2nd and 3rd talls and small crumbers the chance to do exactly the same. If our forwards are set up correctly, with the right personnel, then the only real options for the defense is to go for a clean mark. The forwards should be set up to anticipate and ideally intercept the punch out of bounds, the attempt to spoil etc. The 2nd and 3rd talls should be set up as outriggers in the F50 to anticipate kicks from our blokes that fall short, or kicks out of defense that do the same. I can keep going, but the point I'm making is that those F50 entries are precious, and we need to be manic about keeping the ball in there. The defenders will always be tempted to infringe when they feel cornered and with no options.

Reply #179

Well, Cas isn't either of those two blokes, and I doubt the club would look the other way, as they do with stars.
He's just been given a one year extension, the club has invested x amount of time and money in the off season reemploying Rocca etc. to try and finally fix his issues. I'm not sure they would look too kindly on him getting done for a couple of weeks. That might just about finish him as far as playing seniors is concerned. Which may not be a bad thing.

The club should be encouraging that from Casboult, not discouraging it.

His issues can be fixed with or without my scenario happening. Its not one or the other.

His greatest asset besides his marking ability is his body size/shape and the physicality that brings with it.

We are not playing netball. Use that strength of his to our advantage and take out the oppositions greatest strength.
I'd take a report from him every year if it means we see that aggression out of him regularly