Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 9443 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #45
The whipping boys did OK tonight: good efforts from Samo, Dow, Willo, Kennedy and Casboult  :)
Dow and Kennedy were very good at times - the other three (plus Martin and Fogarty) contributed at various stages without being particularly impressive. Probably the first time this year that I couldn't identify a complete passenger.

Also the first time this year that the umpires didn't drive me crazy and didn't try to impose themselves on the game.

Reply #46
Real positives for me in the last 2 wins were we were challenged in the last quarter of both games and showed real grunt and desire to dig in when it really mattered.

However even bigger then that is the wins are coming with big contributions from the lesser lights.

Jack Kennedy Dow Stocker had big moments Om this win.

As good as all of the above are Stocker is becoming a favourite of mine. This kid knows the moments in games he backs himself will do all the little things and has the balls to drop into a hole and get crunched. And he has every teammates back which is a rare commodity on our list.
I didn’t rate sos work as highly as some but admit he deserves all the credit for that one.
Only negative is the severity of Cripps ankle. Would not be at all surprised if it’s a serious injury but our captain just willed himself on and pushed thru the obvious pain.
Was very proud of Crippa today and hope the media also recognise what he did to lead his side no matter what. With Doc being out I reckon Crippa  knew he had to stand up no matter what tonight and he was all heart and that performance won’t go unnoticed to this young team.
Weitering all game and Walsh when it mattered were both generals tonight.
I’m going to sleep happy! 

Reply #47
The whipping boys did OK tonight: good efforts from Samo, Dow, Willo, Kennedy and Casboult  :)
Casboult made a cameo appearance in the last qtr thankfully. SPS floated in and out, didn't impress me this week.
Dow and Kennedy were excellent, Willo stuck to his defensive task.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
I posted at 3 quarter time that Sean Darcy had 175 supercoach points which is really high for a full game.
He only got an extra 17 points in the final term, Casboult stopped the rampage.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #49
All the love for Casboult’s last q???
Really? Well I’m gonna have to watch that again. I’ll be back in 30.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #50
Reckon we're anchored to our ladder position ... or thereabouts.  The stars are unlikely to align to help us out much. 

Some good signs out of the day.  But fadeouts inevitably haunt us.  Exacerbated by so many injuries. :(

Reply #51
Reckon we're anchored to our ladder position ... or thereabouts.  The stars are unlikely to align to help us out much. 

Some good signs out of the day.  But fadeouts inevitably haunt us.  Exacerbated by so many injuries. :(
The importance of shopping for 4 points early in the season highlighted yet again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
Darcy is a big unit and TDK got tired trying to out jump him.....Casboult was next to useless as well in the ruck which doesnt help him either.
Agree on Pittonet though, more valuable than most think, its not about winning the ruck everytime but just nullifying
the opposition rucks and breaking even when they probably have the edge in numbers and ability.

Levi had been abysmal for 3 quarters, no question, but really found something in the last.

Negated Darcy entirely and took some telling, timely ,marks.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
Both Kennedy and Dow dropped off after early fire.  Hopefully that’s the next step — turn 2 qs into 4

Thought Kennedy was one of the main reasons we held sway in Q4.

Top 3 for mine.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Or, if freo had kicked straight...  oh, and by the way, how good were Essendon.....

The points tally can be misleading.

I'd reckon 6 or 7 points were rushed or smashed through from kicks falling short.

We forced them wide making shots on goal difficult. That's smart.

Cerra, for example, kicked 0.2.

Can't recall the first (Q1?), the second he selfishly tried a shot from about 55 out....

We kicked 2.5 to 0.2 in the last, we kick 5.2 or better win by 30+, no one would mention their points tally.

Great win by our lads.

We'll roll the Cats next week.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55
Cripps was struggling with an injury, even though we officially didn't have any. Otherwise, he wouldn't have used his left foot like he did in the 3rd. And he still did some really good things.
For most of the night Walsh was being shadowed quite well. But in the last quarter he was nothing short of brilliant. That goal was incredible.
Kennedy was good in the middle, especially in the middle two quarters, because he just got the ball forward without trying to be fancy. We got goals from his clearances. When he wasn't in the middle, he barely touched in those quarters. He was good early and very solid in the last.
In the last quarter and in the first we really squashed Fyffe. But in the middle two we had problems with our centre setup.
Levi Casboult more than needed the run. For 3 quarters he was dreadful, dropping marks and making mistakes. His last quarter was another beat entirely. Him lifting denied Freo the easy clearances. We have little choice but to play him: we don't have another tall to bring in. But he did a lot of redeeming in that last quarter.
Jack Silvagni had a dominant game. he has rarely had more of the ball. We finally looked for him on the lead and his first two kicks at goal were superb. That was how he did back in his first season. That is what he needs to do every week.

He hurt his right foot kicking a Freo player in Q1.....

Couldn't kick with his right after that. Made him handball - good outcome!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #56
Don't know why Kennedy isn't in the 22 every week, handy foot soldier in multiple roles.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #57
ps why id we change our 'plan' come Q2.

We started sagging off our opponents and letting them transition way, way too easily.

It was bizarre the transformation....

Our mids got (too) cocky I reckon.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Cripps did well to stay on and showed plenty of ticker. Thought we were a lot more organised this game and had more contributors who worked harder for their teammates.
Docherty, Murphy and Williams missing might have helped us imo, as others took on responsibility and played accountable footy.

Reply #59
Don't know why Kennedy isn't in the 22 every week, handy foot soldier in multiple roles.

And he has a terrific, positive, happy disposition.

Something our team lacks.

Williams in or Willo next week, the rest unchanged I would think (if Crippa's foot is ok).

Twos were putrid again i gather....
Finals, then 4 in a row!