Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat (Read 10825 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Prognostications!: AFL 2021 Rd 7: Carlton vs Drug Cheat

Reply #90
Am I the only one who has noticed that every time my boy Luke Parks plays we win? He is the talisman!

But seriously what a pick up off the rookie draft this kid is looking like. He already shown in 3 games that he is a very capable intercept mark who backs himself to beat his opponent 1:1 in the air, he has good poise and disposal [went at 100% DE yesterday] and attacks the contest in way I haven't seen in a Carlton backman since Andy McKay and Peter Dean. And he can really close down hard on his opponent - just ask Tippa or Jack Luckosius.

I am certain that Jones and Weiters play better when he is out there because we are a much better balanced unit.

Give the lad another couple of years in the gym and he could be an absolute star.

Will be interested in where and when Nic Newman will come back in. The only like for like is Plow - Stocker is playing the tough small speedy lockdown role, and Saad and Doc are the rebounders. Maybe Plow up to the wing to replace Newnes??

Reply #91
I was starting to feel quite despondent as the first quarter progressed; our inside 50s were haphazard, ill-directed, shallow and, when they were directed to a target, it was usually on the head of one of our smalls.  At the other end, our lack of defensive pressure up the ground created opportunities for the Essendon forwards to get clear and they were hit up with pinpoint delivery.  It really seemed like we were in for a dismal day.  In fact, it's hard to believe that we won the last three quarters.

Walsh was outstanding ... again!  Cuningham was very good and it is easy to see why the MC persist with him when he has quiet patches.  Curnow did a number on Merrett and showed that he is still one of the best run with players going around.  Weitering was in AA form again and was well-supported by Saad, Docherty, Stocker and Parks.  Jones had one of those games where he was just that bit off in his judgement and positioning.

Samo's poise and ability to distribute the ball made a huge difference in the second half.  McKay lifted in the second half after what could have been a gastro-affected first half and he is unstoppable when in form and getting decent delivery.  Betts turned the clock back and Owies may have provided a glimpse of the future.  I have been a bit critical of our very small small forwards but you can't complain when they have a crack and finish well.

It was great to see Cripps finally nail that goal.  I suspect that the relatively simple shots that he's missed may have dented his confidence.

It was also good to see Casboult work his way back into some form.  Four telling marks around the ground was a good contribution, particularly when Pittonet couldn't get near a marking contest.

Hopefully, Dow's eye injury is just a shiner and he won't have to miss.  McGovern's hammy seemed a bad one and that's a shame because he seemed to working into some form too.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #92
Walsh polled maximum votes in the Coaches Award....has polled in 6 of the 7 games this year!!!

Reply #93
I was starting to feel quite despondent as the first quarter progressed; our inside 50s were haphazard, ill-directed, shallow and, when they were directed to a target, it was usually on the head of one of our smalls.  At the other end, our lack of defensive pressure up the ground created opportunities for the Essendon forwards to get clear and they were hit up with pinpoint delivery.  It really seemed like we were in for a dismal day.  In fact, it's hard to believe that we won the last three quarters.

Walsh was outstanding ... again!  Cuningham was very good and it is easy to see why the MC persist with him when he has quiet patches.  Curnow did a number on Merrett and showed that he is still one of the best run with players going around.  Weitering was in AA form again and was well-supported by Saad, Docherty, Stocker and Parks.  Jones had one of those games where he was just that bit off in his judgement and positioning.

Samo's poise and ability to distribute the ball made a huge difference in the second half.  McKay lifted in the second half after what could have been a gastro-affected first half and he is unstoppable when in form and getting decent delivery.  Betts turned the clock back and Owies may have provided a glimpse of the future.  I have been a bit critical of our very small small forwards but you can't complain when they have a crack and finish well.

It was great to see Cripps finally nail that goal.  I suspect that the relatively simple shots that he's missed may have dented his confidence.

It was also good to see Casboult work his way back into some form.  Four telling marks around the ground was a good contribution, particularly when Pittonet couldn't get near a marking contest.

Hopefully, Dow's eye injury is just a shiner and he won't have to miss.  McGovern's hammy seemed a bad one and that's a shame because he seemed to working into some form too.

Tend to agree.  Felt a bit flat at the end of the game despite the win for it.

That was the biggest positive.  We would have lost that one 2 years ago.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
Walsh polled maximum votes in the Coaches Award....has polled in 6 of the 7 games this year!!!

I see Kane Cornes has taken back his words on Walshy on FC:

"I think I was particularly hard on Sam Walsh. I said he is not a match winner, In hindsight I would use my words differently. He has been so impressive this year and I've got a lot of respect for him. I regret how hard I went on a young kid, and I would take that one back."
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
I see Kane Cornes has taken back his words on Walshy on FC:

"I think I was particularly hard on Sam Walsh. I said he is not a match winner, In hindsight I would use my words differently. He has been so impressive this year and I've got a lot of respect for him. I regret how hard I went on a young kid, and I would take that one back."

The thing is Kane you can't "take it back". You are a d1ck head and always will be.

Reply #96
The thing is Kane you can't "take it back". You are a d1ck head and always will be.
Oh, Carlton stuffed up. Connor Rozee is better and Zak Butters is better and blah, blah, blah blah. Total knob.

Reply #97
Am I the only one who has noticed that every time my boy Luke Parks plays we win? He is the talisman!

But seriously what a pick up off the rookie draft this kid is looking like. He already shown in 3 games that he is a very capable intercept mark who backs himself to beat his opponent 1:1 in the air, he has good poise and disposal [went at 100% DE yesterday] and attacks the contest in way I haven't seen in a Carlton backman since Andy McKay and Peter Dean. And he can really close down hard on his opponent - just ask Tippa or Jack Luckosius.

I am certain that Jones and Weiters play better when he is out there because we are a much better balanced unit.

Give the lad another couple of years in the gym and he could be an absolute star.
Luke Parks!
I like him,  I like him alot!

Plus that Owies boy aint bad either
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #98
Luke Parks!
I like him,  I like him alot!

Plus that Owies boy aint bad either
Parks is a good prospect but not vs bigger units like the kid Jones who kicked three on him and took some very strong marks.
He isn't KP size and needs the right opponent, if the Dogs play three tall forwards this week then he is going to be up against it if he cops Bruce or Naughton if Jones or Weitering have to pick up the taller English.

Reply #99
Parks is a good prospect but not vs bigger units like the kid Jones who kicked three on him and took some very strong marks.
He isn't KP size and needs the right opponent, if the Dogs play three tall forwards this week then he is going to be up against it if he cops Bruce or Naughton if Jones or Weitering have to pick up the taller English.

I agree EB.  Someone posted a future team with Parks as CHB and we would be in deep strife if that came about. 

I was surprised to see that young Luke is 93kg - he must have heavy bones  ;) - so most medium forwards should find him hard to move.  Plowman remains as our third tall defender and our back six will have to work on their match ups so that Parks doesn't find himself mismatched against a taller opponent.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #100
The third tall defender is always a mismatch EB,  they tend to be tall mediums (if you get my drift) that play on all sizes. Like Parks' attitude - he's scruffy - but he wants it bad.

Really like Stocker too,  not afraid to put his body in either - made of the right stuff too this  kid.  Ratten started as chunky back pocket as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #101
The third tall defender is always a mismatch EB,  they tend to be tall mediums (if you get my drift) that play on all sizes. Like Parks' attitude - he's scruffy - but he wants it bad.

Really like Stocker too,  not afraid to put his body in either - made of the right stuff too this  kid.  Ratten started as chunky back pocket as well.
Prof, This is why Richmond are hard to play against... Grimes, Astbury, Balta and they also have Broad.
I like Parks, messy looking awkward hombre but I don't want to see us try and cheat with him on bigger players and bugger him up like we have done in the past with other players.
If we need the extra tall I would play Casboult down back and run smaller down forward.
Stocker is gutsy and attacks the ball better than most, took a big hit for the team in a contest vs Essendon but got up quick and we need more of that.

Reply #102
If we need the extra tall I would play Casboult down back and run smaller down forward.
While I understand this, I fear that adding Levi to the existing Jones presence just increases the incidental impact risk to Weitering!

Levi and Jones are 50/50 on cleaning up one of their own! For me it's tragic McGovern got injured, he could easily play that 3rd KPD role and do so safely.

Any official news yet on McGovern?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #103
While I understand this, I fear that adding Levi to the existing Jones presence just increases the incidental impact risk to Weitering!

Levi and Jones are 50/50 on cleaning up one of their own! For me it's tragic McGovern got injured, he could easily play that 3rd KPD role and do so safely.

Any official news yet on McGovern?
Wouldnt be that keen to play McGovern on genuine KP Forwards either....good mark for his size but again its trying to cheat
vs bigger players who are taller and stronger and he is always an injury risk.
If Marchbank could hold up injury wise and add some kegs to his frame he would be ideal but thats fantasy so I think we need to look for that 6'3-4" swingman type who can play on those bigger types when we are one short of a tall down back.
Kemp might be the man if he can get fit and add some size...

Reply #104
Cornes throws out a headline grabbing statement virtually every day in the hope that one of them comes to fruition so he can look smart. Walsh was an obvious No.1 draft pick for pretty good reasons and has done everything to support the decision to pick him....probably more. Rozee is a good player no doubt but probably helped him that he's been playing in a top 4 side. Walsh has been playing in a bottom 6 side and is still in the best player list virtually every week and has been from game 1.