Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 1509 times) previous topic - next topic
blueboys_1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: AFL Rd 10 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #75
That was an ordinary effort. I haven't been all in on Carlton this year but I was beginning to think we could go all right. In both the Sydney and Collingwood games we have been out tackled and I think our tackling has been pretty ordinary all year. You tackle with your body and not with just your arms. Once again our disposal, ball handling and decision making under pressure was poor. The missing of goals from 10 metres out directly in front deblitates the team. TDK had a shocker but should have received a free kick for a head high knock. Not sure how a guy gets his hands to the ball first and then gets the ball kicked out of his hands gets a free kick paid against him. Don't understand why the ball was not brought back when the bounce gave no chance for Pittonett to contest. Fantasia has been a disappointment and Durdin doesn't get near the ball often enough.
I think we have developed a very good list but I have been concerned about our lack of pace which has been getting addressed over the past couple of drafts. It is still a work in progress.  One reason I liked Fisher was that he did have some pace. What we lack are players with blistering pace.  Guys who can genuinely break the lines and run down opponents from behind. It is something I think we should be looking at.
Clearly it is time for everyone to strip off and jump into Ed Curnow's dam.

Reply #76
What happens to Walsh and Cripps is horrendous, our taggers barely make contact by comparison, our blokes are disadvantaged because we aren't being coached to go outside the rules.

We seem to get pinged for holding at stoppages more often than our opponents, despite being a lot less physical and blocking rather than grappling.

I know that we can’t blame the umpires for the result, and free kicks miraculously ended up at 19 apiece, but it’s where and when frees are and aren’t paid that makes a difference.

If the right decisions had been made in the first quarter, we would have had a six or seven goal lead at the first break.  That’s the kind of margin that can affect team performance.

The bottom line is that the 23 blokes we had on the park weren’t good enough … but they could have been 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
We seem to get pinged for holding at stoppages more often than our opponents, despite being a lot less physical and blocking rather than grappling.

I know that we can’t blame the umpires for the result, and free kicks miraculously ended up at 19 apiece, but it’s where and when frees are and aren’t paid that makes a difference.

If the right decisions had been made in the first quarter, we would have had a six or seven goal lead at the first break.  That’s the kind of margin that can affect team performance.

The bottom line is that the 23 blokes we had on the park weren’t good enough … but they could have been 🤔

we somehow manage to have frees paid against us directly in front of goals but hardly ever get one ourselves.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #78
we somehow manage to have frees paid against us directly in front of goals but hardly ever get one ourselves.

The two frees paid against Zac Williams for holding Elliott are a case in point.  Collingwood defenders did exactly the same to our forwards several times later in the game and there wasn't a whistle to be heard.

Perhaps umpires wish to set the ground rules early in the game, possibly subconsciously, then relax their interpretation as the game progresses.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
Perhaps umpires wish to set the ground rules early in the game, possibly subconsciously, then relax their interpretation as the game progresses.
It's mostly about the crowd and the pre-game focus, umpires are human, regulars and stars get treated differently to walk ups.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
Swans dialled up the pressure and we went 'Nah, don't want to know about it'.

What did our top 6 do to respond?  They're the leaders.

Need to be at your best to beat the Swans, we were miles away.

Reply #81
We let Heeney and Warner have too much space and left unmanned  and when your mids are not quick once the Swans players got goal side in the middle it was over. Cerra is an important out as he gives Cripps and Walsh a bit more cover being quicker and has more class than Kennedy and Hewett.When he comes back in we will look a lot better...

Reply #82
Let's be honest, to beat Sydney in Sydney, we needed to have absolutely everything going for us.  

Reality is, it was exactly opposite - down on a significant number of important personnel (10 or more), probably our slowest possible combination against a team that runs like crazy, and coming off a crap last quarter against the Dees.

Move on and concentrate on the Suns.  

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #83
Hmmmm tagging, or scragging, or free kick every day of the week?  Time to show this to the umpires' department.....

Yes yes yes, consistency. Williams gave away two free kicks against the pies for the exact same thing. It was not paid the other way during the game to Charlie or Harry. Opposition supporters complain how many frees Charlie gets but they don't see the ones that he does not get when he is held or scragged in a pack.

Reply #84
The two frees paid against Zac Williams for holding Elliott are a case in point.  Collingwood defenders did exactly the same to our forwards several times later in the game and there wasn't a whistle to be heard.

x2. See my previous post.

Reply #85
No real surprises in the coaches' votes. Clean sweep by the Swans, just confirming what a poor night it was all round.

Warner 10
Heeney 8
Grundy 6
Rowbottom 4
Gulden 1
Jordon 1