Kade Simpson
[ 34 ] (52.3%)
Andrew Carrazzo
[ 3 ] (4.6%)
Other
[ 11 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 14, 2013, 01:34:16 pm

Topic: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain (Read 23355 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain

Reply #45
I reckon in hindsight ( it's a wonderful thing ) that Judd should have stayed on for one more season.

You can blame the AFL for that. After it tore up the VISY deal , Juddy said
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #46
Interesting that Simmo is leading the poll  :o  For the first half of the season a significant number of posters wanted him banished to the NBs.

I think Murphy has been OK and will improve with experience.

I agree DJC.   Seems to be the only requirement to be a good leader is that you are playing good football.

Heath Shaw, Pendlebury often address the players.  Nick Maxwell is a great captain?   Yet Simmo addressing the players reflects badly on Murphy's captaincy.  Go figure.

Murphy has been a leader since his TAC cup days and will develop into a quality captain.   His biggest problem at the moment is he is struggle on field.

Maxwell is a premiership captain and respected much in the same way Tom Harley was....both just joe average players but able to talk to all groups in their respective club wether it be the A graders, battlers and kids and thats why they got the job.

We selected our captain in a farcical manner....leading Carrazzo along that he was going to get the job, including Duigan who can even get a game in the selection mix and then played a series of preseason games to see who did the job best after rotating between the three candidates....very professional...not.

Murphy got the job purely based on the fact he is considered the best marquee player at the club and would sell more memberships IMO...at Carlton we dont tend to give Joe average players the captains role....
Murphy may grow in to the role...but he has a lot of growing to day as he isnt close at  the moment IMO...
His opposite number in Watson despite the situation at Essendon, booing from the crowd, rallied his players and was an effective player himself and Murphy has to do more as a leader and cope with tagging like the other star players/captains do...

Gee that's bullcrap EB.   So much assumption and so much disrespect to Murphy and even Malthouse it's not funny.

To suggest that we give a bloke a million bucks a year to coach the club and turn it around and when he rocks up we say "the marketing team have picked Murphy as Captain" and then Malthouse says "ok, that's fine".   I mean give it the sniff test.   Mick the grumpiest, stubbornest old bastard you have ever seen and he is going to cop that???   Are we serious?   It just doesn't happen.

So this.

"Murphy got the job purely based on the fact he is considered the best marquee player at the club"

Is Rubbish.   So don't suggest it's fact.   At best it's a theory.

You say that Maxwell isnt a good captain yet is Murphy is.....based on what?...your dislike of Maxwell?
You think that masquerade of testing captains was the right way to go about picking the right man.???....including Duigan a player who cant get a game, so Duigan was captain material according to Malthouse but now isnt seen as good enough to get a game.....reason that for me?.....and dont give me some weak answer like you did about Simpson addressing the players instead of Murphy....that was a bad look for all to see and you know it....
I dont remember Malthouse road testing captains in the NAB cup  before he picked Maxwell either...

The way we picked  the captain was unprofessional and amateurish if you can believe that road testing of captains was genuine( I dont) and if Malthouse presided over that piece of work then maybe Carrots is right and he isnt the man for the job......and yeah thats my theory.

Good luck to Marc Murphy but dont expect the speculation about his ability to do the job to dissapear....

Reply #47
My ideal model of a captain would be Hodge. He's tough, he can dish it out when he wants to, he's talented, he performs well in the media and most of all his on field deeds inspire his team and its supporters.

There you go Marc, model yourself on him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #48
My ideal model of a captain would be Hodge. He's tough, he can dish it out when he wants to, he's talented, he performs well in the media and most of all his on field deeds inspire his team and its supporters.

Yet Hodge wasn't Hawthorn's first choice!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49

Yet Hodge wasn't Hawthorn's first choice!

I know - amazing! Wasn't it Sam Mitchell and the players sort of strongly hinted that Hodge was "their choice" and so he got the gig eventually. Maybe a lesson there for us?

Reply #50
............he got the gig eventually. Maybe a lesson there for us?
We have nobody in the right age bracket or in the same category as a Hodge, except Judd and he has retired from the gig as will Hodge soon. So why would we even be considering this as there is no possible answer!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
You don't have an introvert leading a group of introverts. Mitchell and Hodge are both extroverted.

And now Murph comes out and says that the boys are going to put in a big effort this w/e as they owe the supporters that!! So that's how it goes, eh... put in a shocker, then try harder for the supporters. What a load of goat sh1t. That's not leadership... that placating rubbish. They owe it to themselves and their team mates first and foremost to do better. Then their coaches. Don't butter us up FFS.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #52
............he got the gig eventually. Maybe a lesson there for us?
We have nobody in the right age bracket or in the same category as a Hodge, except Judd and he has retired from the gig as will Hodge soon. So why would we even be considering this as there is no possible answer!

Because, as I said before, he is the type we need to find, not him personally or anyone of his particular age, but someone with his attributes. If such a person is not at the club already then we should be on the look out for such, who could possibly take over eventually, after MM. You know, try planning ahead for once?

Reply #53
What this whole discussion boils down to is this:

Marc Murphy is having an absolute shocker of a season.

If he'd played to the level we had all come to expect, there would be no discussions about whether or not he was up to the job of being captain of the club. We'd all be satisfied that he was leading by example, even if he wasn't the physical presence many here are now calling for.

Now, you could also ask the question as to whether or not the mantle of captaincy has been the predominant factor in the massive form slump he's gone through this season, you could blame the injury-interrupted preseason he went through or you could blame it on the fact that he is now attracting the most opposition attention due to Judd no longer being the player he once was.

Many here are blaming it on the captaincy without considering the myriad of other factors involved in form slumps, when the truth is that it is most likely a combination of everything that has happened.

Carrazzo has had a shocking season too and, up until Simmo's heroics on Saturday night, he was the name most bandied about as the player who should be captain.

Honestly, I don't think the pressure of the captaincy has had much if anything to do with Murphy's shocking season. Honestly, I don't think being the captain of a football club is any sort of chore on the field as you have 17 other mates out there with you at any given time and every single one of them should be providing leadership in different situations and of differing degrees. Yes, there are media responsibilities that go with being captain but they have no impact on what you do when you're out there playing. You just go out there, be yourself, and play football.

It's Murphy's standard of football this season that we should all be questioning, not his captaincy because being named captain of a football side is more of an honour than anything else.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #54
You say that Maxwell isnt a good captain yet is Murphy is.....based on what?...your dislike of Maxwell?
You think that masquerade of testing captains was the right way to go about picking the right man.???....including Duigan a player who cant get a game, so Duigan was captain material according to Malthouse but now isnt seen as good enough to get a game.....reason that for me?.....and dont give me some weak answer like you did about Simpson addressing the players instead of Murphy....that was a bad look for all to see and you know it....
I dont remember Malthouse road testing captains in the NAB cup  before he picked Maxwell either...

The way we picked  the captain was unprofessional and amateurish if you can believe that road testing of captains was genuine( I dont) and if Malthouse presided over that piece of work then maybe Carrots is right and he isnt the man for the job......and yeah thats my theory.

Good luck to Marc Murphy but dont expect the speculation about his ability to do the job to dissapear....

I think Maxwell is a fine captain.   I you have miss my point.

Collingwood getting spanked and Heath Shaw pulls in the players and give them a blast with Maxwell right behind him.

At Carlton Simpson addresses the players.

Yet we applaud Maxwell and criticise Murphy?  People are trying too hard to find things wrong with Murph.

Simpson a player in the leadership group is such a non issue and it happens in all the big clubs.   Leadership isn't just the role of the Captain.   Luke Hodge showed a stack when he wasn't the captain.

Reply #55

Collingwood getting spanked and Heath Shaw pulls in the players and give them a blast with Maxwell right behind him.

At Carlton Simpson address the players.

Yet we applaud Maxwell and criticism Murphy?  People are trying too hard to find things wrong with Murph.

Simpson a player in the leadership group is such a non issue and it happens in all the big clubs.   Leadership isn't just the role of the Captain.   Luke Hodge showed a stack when he wasn't the captain.

people only do that in the absence of finding anything right

Reply #56
The problem with the Murphy appointment is that it was made by MM after the pre-season if what was reported at the time is correct. So if MM with all his time in footy thought he was the best leader at the club (besides Judd) we really need a clean out to bring in the type of characters who will drive this club.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #57

Yet we applaud Maxwell and criticism Murphy?  People are trying too hard to find things wrong with Murph.

people only do that in the absence of finding anything right

What does he do in that 2 hours a week that makes you think he is a poor captain?

Other than struggling with form and not leading by example by playing good football.

Also what does he do in the other 166 hours of the week that makes you think he is a poor leader?

We already have the reason he is struggling on the field.  Can't train and gets his knee drained.   I dare say if he wasn't captain he wouldn't be playing each week.

Reply #58

Shakin...,Whas in your opinion makes Marc Murphy a better captain than Carrazzo or Simpson.......what sets him apart from these two.
I want to know what I am missing?

Reply #59

Shakin...,Whas in your opinion makes Marc Murphy a better captain than Carrazzo or Simpson.......what sets him apart from these two.
I want to know what I am missing?

Timing.

If it were 2 years ago, Carrazzo might have gotten the gig, but he is too advanced in age this year to get it.

Simpson is a better age for it today, but 2 years ago, he would have been age for it than Murphy.

Honestly?  We dont know about the stuff off the field that makes Murphy better or worse than the others, but for mine, its simply timing.  Play devils advocate and give it to the others, and then think about that decision and how it affects us moving forward from TODAY. 

Carrazzo would be 30 in December.  This season has been a shocker for him, and many would argue the captaincy caused it.

Simpson is 30 in May next season, and many would say that the captaincy defined him after his second half of the season... HOWEVER would the captaincy have changed how his season panned out at all?  Example, Murphy not captain, goes down injured, and then gets ruled unfit to play and has time off.  Does Simpson then not get more of a defensive forward sitting on him and then keep him quiet?

We have appointed two 30 year old captains, and the rumours about the relinquishing captaincy begin.

Marc Murphy at age 25, made more sense.  He is single so doesnt have a lot of distractions outside of football, and inside of football performs to a high standard (usually) and has done a mini apprenticeship last season for 4 matches in the absence of Simpson and Carrazzo (somewhat).  He takes this year (in which he turns 26) to learn how to cope with it, and next year will turn 27 and grow into the role.  He will be 28 the following year and probably about to hit his peak and has a couple of years to have grown into the captaincy.

Honestly speaking to me it seems common sense to look at Marc Murphy.  The fact that through his career he has been a good contributer most of the time simply helped.  This is not necessarily true of Simpson, and we already went over the Carrazzo situation.  Keep in mind his triplets which would have played some factor.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson