Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain (Read 62966 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain

Reply #30
I think there's an elephant in the room: Is Troy Menzel really as good as everyone is making out he is??

Yes, got 4 last week. Leg injury hampered him badly and was eventually subbed because of it.

Reply #32
He hasn't played 50 games yet In the hardest position On the field in the most dysfunctional forward line with the slowest ball movement in the comp.

Geez.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #33
He hasn't played 50 games yet In the hardest position On the field in the most dysfunctional forward line with the slowest ball movement in the comp.

Geez.

3 years....3 pre seasons....should be fitter...goes to ground too easily..

Reply #34
Said the same thing about Robbie Gray
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #35
Tex was a 50 goal forward 4-5 years back…remember the hanger on Carlisle Bumbers at the G?

WTF have we turned him into?….under Ratts he was a run and gunn half forward doing major damage now he's been transformed to a hesitant running half back going sideways….Sheeesh we farked up some good players over the last 8-10 years…we've ripped out the soul of a bunch of attacking players with flair….makes we want to weep

Reply #36
To take up from the in game thread, Hendo had an ordinary night. However, when you consider how we get the ball forward, we really don't give him a lot of opportunity.
To be honest, I'd play him in defence for a while to get some form. It has worked well for him in the past.
Unfortunately it leaves a forward line looking vacant. Levi isn't doing a lot and Jones is a waste of space.

I think we should drop Jones and play Jaksch up forward.  Cant do ant worse than Jones who is a witches hat out there

Reply #37
Tex was a 50 goal forward 4-5 years back…remember the hanger on Carlisle Bumbers at the G?

WTF have we turned him into?….under Ratts he was a run and gunn half forward doing major damage now he's been transformed to a hesitant running half back going sideways….Sheeesh we farked up some good players over the last 8-10 years…we've ripped out the soul of a bunch of attacking players with flair….makes we want to weep

They have gotten a bit older and either lost a yard or the new lot have gotten quicker.  4 years is a long time in football.   Ask lance whitnall.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
They have gotten a bit older and either lost a yard or the new lot have gotten quicker.  4 years is a long time in football.   Ask lance whitnall.

Or played in the wrong spot.

Reply #39
Jones needs to be tried as a true defender. Make him work and really work hard tagging a forward target. If at worst he breaks even he has done a job, and stopped us from being belted. If he fails he needs to go. He has minimal talent and has nothing else to offer. Maybe we can build a backline from our forward line and SOS can bring in the forwards we really need.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #40

WTF have we turned him into?….under Ratts he was a run and gunn half forward doing major damage now he's been transformed to a hesitant running half back going sideways

He was terrible in 2012 up forward under Ratten. Mick put him down back in 2013 and he had his best year, then he dropped off. In summary he can't back up one good season with another.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41
Missing, not only Judd, Murph and Gibbs, but also Jammo and Kreuzer. That's a lot of class out of the side.

At least we saw some effort tonight, poor skills and execution let us down many many times.

We need to find a small lock down defender. Touhy is currently used as our number 1 small defender. To me, he is better suited as an attacking half back flanker, but we need to develop someone to replace him on the full back line.

I want to see Walker used forward, I would like to see Buckley used off a wing or defensive/pressure forward.

Cripps is an absolute gem, Graham - 14 touches and 7 tackles, not bad for his 1st full game in how long?

Why, when we are short on key defenders, not play Watson back there? Expecting Simon White to cover guys like Buddy and Tippett is just ridiculous.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #42
Elwood, I am really sorry to question Everitt on your knowledge of his improved games since leaving the bulldogs. However he is another fail for me. He has the height and is athletic, but just doesn't do enough to damage the scoreboard. He just runs around like a Bower. Sorry to compare the 2, but he will become our next Bower. Potential, but no real ability over the full 4 quarters of a match. Yoyo boy will be my new knick-name for him. Sorry buddy, don't take this as anything against you. I respect all your posts but he is only slightly better than Jones. Actually heaps better than Jones, but then again if we delist both, they will never get a game at any club ever again. IMO. Cheers Elwood.

Mants...I'm no oracle on or apologist for Everiit  so happy to accept your opinions and anyone elses, I agree he isnt impacting for 4 quarters and can look sloppy/laconic but I think he has more natural talent than a lot of blokes on our list and can be useful in a better team. He wont ever be a prime mover but is more a finisher/add some polish type player.
I think some of us think he can convert better than most and play that 3rd tall forward role but he does need to work on his defensive game/ application as he can go missing when it gets tough and frustrate people like your good self...in a poor team like ours he can be lazy and still look good and I take your point about lack of impact on a consistent basis....

Reply #43
Walker started forward tonight and was hopeless.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #44
I think there's an elephant in the room: Is Troy Menzel really as good as everyone is making out he is??

No, give him to Geelong for their 1st rounder, maybe his heart is already there.

Probably our best trade bait.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!