Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 39097 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #135
It's only one game, and against the reigning premiers. I don't expect any changes except those forced by injury. Can't understand the calls for McKay to play, seen him play a few times now and he offers nothing at this stage. If he gets picked now without getting some form and confidence in the VFL he'll just be the next whipping boy!

I think McKay comes in only if Kreuzer's out.

Reply #136
...which is where this whole weitering debate started for me.

What is better for our development?
Getting games into kids and coming out with an honourable loss?
or
Picking the side that gives you the best chance of winning (still heavily stacked with kids) and beating the premiers?

Overall, benefit to the team as a whole, it has to be the latter. Yet, it seems people are fixated with the former....coaches included.

I honestly don't believe we picked sides to win every game last year.
We'll have to wait a few games into this season before we make a judgement.

At some point "selecting to win" must be the priority...you can only test the supporters patience for so long.
Having said that though....what selections would have made a difference to the result last night.
I cant think of any. :(

Reply #137
I'd pick a ruckman if Kreuzer's out, either Phillips or Lobbe, whoever is fit and has shown more at training

Reply #138
I honestly don't believe we picked sides to win every game last year.
We'll have to wait a few games into this season before we make a judgement.

At some point "selecting to win" must be the priority...you can only test the supporters patience for so long.
Having said that though....what selections would have made a difference to the result last night.
I cant think of any. :(

You been skipping over all my posts then. ;)

Weitering out (no matchup)
Cunningham in (extra midfield rotation) - covers the loss of Kennedy early, an extra small rotation so we don't run out of legs late

Reply #140
Which is not relevant for the comparison you were making.

How do you figure that? Over everyones career, what i said was true.

Its like saying we have no premiership players on our list, because Daisy winning at the pies doesn't count somehow. Bizarre comment.

Reply #141
How do you figure that? Over everyones career, what i said was true.

Its like saying we have no premiership players on our list, because Daisy winning at the pies doesn't count somehow. Bizarre comment.

Wright’s “real” number is what he has done at Carlton, as you are ranking within our list. 

Daisy and Judd aren’t Carlton premiership players, and Peter McKenna isn’t our leading goal kicker.

Including his Adelaide career distorts (negatively) how effective he has been for us.

Reply #142
You been skipping over all my posts then. ;)

Weitering out (no matchup)
Cunningham in (extra midfield rotation) - covers the loss of Kennedy early, an extra small rotation so we don't run out of legs late

Weitering stays because I think he's a better forward option than Silvagni at present.

But I doubt it would have made any difference to the result.

Reply #143
Kruddler was rght on Weitering ,he didn't end up with a suitable matchup and was a liability down back.
He gets preferential treatment because he is a no 1 pick imo and pushing him forward isn't the answer, it's just a refusal to accept he is out of form and needs a spell in the two,s.
SOSOS is the same, yep trying but not anywhere near it and needs to learn more about the game in the VFL., not just  kept in the team because his father is a powerful figure at the club with a famous surname.

Reply #144
On Levi,  I don't care about his kicking being average.

For me the biggest negative in him is what happens when he doesn't take the mark.

He's out of the contest and doesn't apply enough forward pressure at ground level.

I still keep him in for team balance (him out means rance on Charlie instead of astbury).

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
I really don’t get the criticism of Weitering and SOJ.   :-\

The former was made to look bad by our other defenders pushing up the ground and leaving him (and Jones) exposed.  Some of Weitering’s work on the last line of defence was outstanding.

SOJ had a hard night but worked his butt off as usual.  His fortunes rely more on the work of our midfield than his own efforts.  However, I’d like to see him spend more time in the midfield where his footy smarts can come to the fore.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146

The former was made to look bad by our other defenders pushing up the ground and leaving him (and Jones) exposed.  Some of Weitering’s work on the last line of defence was outstanding.

SOJ had a hard night but worked his butt off as usual.  His fortunes rely more on the work of our midfield than his own efforts.  However, I’d like to see him spend more time in the midfield where his footy smarts can come to the fore.
Agree with this 100 percent. We were all crying out to be more attacking. Well guess what, if you push everyone further forward and then turn the ball over, you leave 1 or 2 defenders stranded, and it was very noticeable at the game last night that they pushed forward after a turnover harder than we pushed back, hence Weitering and Jones were often outnumbered and under way too much pressure. If you want to be higher scoring, this is the price you pay, it makes it a skill contest, and we lost. Silvagni worked his butt off, disrupted a lot of what they wanted to do, and got very ordinary service from our midfield, but he did run very hard to create space for his teammates. No doubt he's one of our best forwards atm

Reply #147

Sorry mate, disagree. Firstly, I am a big fan of the two lads, last night though, they were terrible. Out of 10, I would rate them 3. 6 marks between them, SOS didnt trouble the scorers and Weiters pooed his pants on numerous occasions when the ball came near him. There was a one on one marking contest between Weiters and Dusty that the young fella will find hard to watch the replay I reckon. Turned to see who his opponent was and he pooed himself. I know Dusty is a bull and a gun but...
They looked like players coming off long injury layoffs. They need to find form....fast.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #148
Agree with this 100 percent. We were all crying out to be more attacking. Well guess what, if you push everyone further forward and then turn the ball over, you leave 1 or 2 defenders stranded, and it was very noticeable at the game last night that they pushed forward after a turnover harder than we pushed back, hence Weitering and Jones were often outnumbered and under way too much pressure. If you want to be higher scoring, this is the price you pay, it makes it a skill contest, and we lost. Silvagni worked his butt off, disrupted a lot of what they wanted to do, and got very ordinary service from our midfield, but he did run very hard to create space for his teammates. No doubt he's one of our best forwards atm

A lot of truth in what you say JB. We were caught out a lot by our focus on pushing forward i.e. doing what we were crying out for last year and trying to move the ball forward quickly. Only one game and we'll no doubt get better at executing this style of play. The Tigers were also pretty good at feeding off our mistakes and rebounding quickly.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #149
A lot of truth in what you say JB. We were caught out a lot by our focus on pushing forward i.e. doing what we were crying out for last year and trying to move the ball forward quickly. Only one game and we'll no doubt get better at executing this style of play. The Tigers were also pretty good at feeding off our mistakes and rebounding quickly.
They were ruthless in this area Cookie. I sat up in the nose bleed section in the Ponsford (5 rows from the back) so I had a really good view of the full ground and their positioning and spread from T/O's was pretty darn good to watch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time