Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Frustrations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 31783 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game ________: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
Horrible game by quite frankly - 2 horrible teams. If Collingwood get any solace out of that performance other than the fact that they beat Carlton, then they're very easily pleased. Woeful spectacle in every regard.

I'm just as happy as anyone to have seen Jack debut tonight, but let's not go overboard with the praise....I'm not sure if EB1's comment of "....and looked at home" is entirely true. Yep - had 3 or 4 good moments, but there were other times whereby we thought he looked utterly lost, just running around unnecessarily exhausting himself, with at least 3 attempted kicks barely scraping his boot.....and sorry, if you're at AFL you've got to kick that goal (1st quarter) and take the responsibility in the last (passed off to Gibbs).

Pendelbury tears us a new one every time he plays us & the preparation we put into him appears to be non-existent.....WTF was Bolton doing there? Yet another close to B.O.G. performance by Kreuzer's opponent & Gibbs has barely fired a shot since Murphy was injured (courtesy of the dog Dangerfield dropping his knees into Murphy's legs in a tackle from behind).

Tuohy was disgraceful, Everitt just doesn't look like he gives a krapp, Cripps hasn't played well in weeks, Casboult was a liability & based and on current form, we'll struggle to win again this year.....which mightn't necessarily be a bad thing as far as trade week goes, but it's gonna be tough to sit through based on tonight's performance.....*sigh*
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #31
Had a reserved seat ticket tonight so against my better judgement I went along only for my worst fears to be realised. We were just attrocious and the Pies were only very marginally better. Only their most fanatical of supporters could take comfort from that performance.

For us only Simmo and Docherty are worthy of acknowledgement IMO and the rest ranged from very ordinary to putrid, with Everitt being the stand out at the putrid end of the scale. As Baggers previously commented, we looked stuffed by the 3Q and just could not get back to cover on the frequent occasions we turned the ball over trying to go forward.

Another big clearout this year I think.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
Horrible game by quite frankly - 2 horrible teams. If Collingwood get any solace out of that performance other than the fact that they beat Carlton, then they're very easily pleased. Woeful spectacle in every regard.

I'm just as happy as anyone to have seen Jack debut tonight, but let's not go overboard with the praise....I'm not sure if EB1's comment of "....and looked at home" is entirely true. Yep - had 3 or 4 good moments, but there were other times whereby we thought he looked utterly lost, just running around unnecessarily exhausting himself, with at least 3 attempted kicks barely scraping his boot.....and sorry, if you're at AFL you've got to kick that goal (1st quarter) and take the responsibility in the last (passed off to Gibbs).

Pendelbury tears us a new one every time he plays us & the preparation we put into him appears to be non-existent.....WTF was Bolton doing there? Yet another close to B.O.G. performance by Kreuzer's opponent & Gibbs has barely fired a shot since Murphy was injured (courtesy of the dog Dangerfield dropping his knees into Murphy's legs in a tackle from behind).

Tuohy was disgraceful, Everitt just doesn't look like he gives a krapp, Cripps hasn't played well in weeks, Casboult was a liability & based and on current form, we'll struggle to win again this year.....which mightn't necessarily be a bad thing as far as trade week goes, but it's gonna be tough to sit through based on tonight's performance.....*sigh*

re: Jack...he had some unsure moments  but I thought he also was one of the few forwards who made decent position but was ignored and the mark he took where he could have been cleaned up told me he looked ok out there. You wouldnt find Everitt taking that mark for example.....
Gibbs was tagged hard by Greenwood and intimidated...
Agree on Touhy...Casboult is down on confidence..thought Grundy got a very decent run off the umpires which didnt help Kruezer and Philips...

Reply #33
re: Jack...he had some unsure moments  but I thought he also was one of the few forwards who made decent position but was ignored and the mark he took where he could have been cleaned up told me he looked ok out there. You wouldnt find Everitt taking that mark for example.....
Gibbs was tagged hard by Greenwood and intimidated...
Agree on Touhy...Casboult is down on confidence..thought Grundy got a very decent run off the umpires which didnt help Kruezer and Philips...

Fair call on all points EB1 and agree with the Grundy comment.....got an absolute armchair ride from the umpires.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #34
Went along tonight as i had to see the first game of the next generation of Silvagni's coming through.

Sure, there were things Jack could've done better, but there were things he did tonight that you might never see a 10 year player do. That high up and under mark that he not only went for, but took, holy hell. He has his fathers courage! As a barely legal draftee to be taken in one of the last picks in the draft, he has so far exceeded most peoples expectations at this very early stage of his career. Crowd loves him too. Haven't heard a crowd cheer for a debutant like that since Judds first game in Navy Blue!

As for the rest of the team....disappointing.
Starting with Everitt. Send him packing back to the 2's and direct swap Curnow jr into the team and never look back. He was terrible.

Walker needs to play like a small, not a kangaroo.

FFS, can we kick the ball to the advantage of our forwards....like...ever? We kicked it to the advantage of the pies more times than we did our own players, especially inside 50. That's U13's stuff!

Phillips kicks a nice goal. Happy with the ball in his hands.

Simpson will leave a huge hole when he hangs up his sleeves.

Backline, solid.

Midfield, missing and devoid of run.

Forwardline, hamstrung by midfielders, too slow to pull the trigger in front of goal.

That was potentially our only winnable game for the next month. Top 4 draftee coming our way

Reply #35
He must be doing it under instruction but it ain't working.  Invariably leads to turnovers and more than a couple of goals against over the years.

What I fail to understand is while he is third man up, we are one less in number on the ground and if he doesn't smash the ball clear if the congestion our best extractor is off balance in a ruck contest!!

Reply #36
Unfortunately that was what I expected... we might have played our best footy for the year, we miss our skipper and our team selection has not been great.

Silvagni showed a bit, couple of nice marks, should have kicked 2... Didn't look out of place... was better than a lot of other players on the ground.

Reply #37
Missing Murph more than we thought we would.
Gibbs hasn't been the same since the Geelong game
Everritt gone backwards this year. C .Curnow will take his place in the side soon.
Levi's bad kicking now extending to general play. Turned the ball over horribly tonight.
Cripps is playing injured. Its obvious.
Walker has been a great servant, but he's finished.

Reply #38
Can someone tell me what Jones has done wrong?

Our forward six functions better with him in it than without him and he is good for one goal a game.

Since he has been dropped we haven't really fired and Casboult has found it much harder to function.

Sure he isn't great, but I thought he was doing enough to keep his spot and that he was stiff to be dropped.

Has been reasonably good with minimal service in the twos too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
Can someone tell me what Jones has done wrong?

Our forward six functions better with him in it than without him and he is good for one goal a game.

Since he has been dropped we haven't really fired and Casboult has found it much harder to function.

Sure he isn't great, but I thought he was doing enough to keep his spot and that he was stiff to be dropped.

Has been reasonably good with minimal service in the twos too.

Coaches prefer two ruckmen and Jones/Gorringe were in while Phillips was injured. I think we just have to choose, Kreuzer or Sauce, because two ruckmen doesn't seem to be working.

Reply #40
Agree with all comments from Brettie, EB, cookie and kruddler.

Jack did a couple of good things, but his game wasn't that great - the fact that this was his first AFL game was blindingly obvious. At any rate, he is a baby and is the least of our problems.

We are either tanking or staggeringly inept.

In the space of a few short seasons, we have gone from a team that had scoring potency, pace, skill and fluency of ball movement to this.

Reply #42
I can't believe people having a go at silvagni in his first game fmd. His kick for goal in the first should have been a goal but I can't think of a kid under more pressure than him.

I believe he was under instruction to not go up in two many contests and look for space, ala how he contributed to our first goal.

A glimpse of the future and he absolutely belongs out thrre

Reply #43
There's one thing I can say, Everitt is over!

Everitt was poor, Casboult was beyond poor.
Levi is averaging single figure possessions and under a goal a game so far this season, he's 26 and won't be getting any better.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #44
I can't believe people having a go at silvagni in his first game fmd. His kick for goal in the first should have been a goal but I can't think of a kid under more pressure than him.

I believe he was under instruction to not go up in two many contests and look for space, ala how he contributed to our first goal.

A glimpse of the future and he absolutely belongs out thrre

He played pretty much as I expected, given the reports from the NB's and given it was his first game . He only got out of nappies 5 minutes ago - I wasn't expecting 3 Brownlow votes, 4 goals and a BOG, especially given the rest of the team.