Kade Simpson
[ 34 ] (52.3%)
Andrew Carrazzo
[ 3 ] (4.6%)
Other
[ 11 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 14, 2013, 01:34:16 pm

Topic: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain (Read 23257 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain

Reply #60
Shakin...,Whas in your opinion makes Marc Murphy a better captain than Carrazzo or Simpson.......what sets him apart from these two.
I want to know what I am missing?

Honestly.   I have no idea.    I am just not in a position to make that judgement.  

Leadership can be so many things and a lot we wouldn't be privy to unless we work with, or are up close to Murphy, Carrazzo or Simpson on a daily basis.   So much out of match day.

I try and relate to the leaders I have had in my career and often it's the little things.

Eg:  Young player struggling with life in Melbourne and the captain takes him out for a coffee and chat.   Tells him to stick at and it will get better.   Another player hitting the turps a little too much.   Setting a example at training, working with the younger players at training.  Getting the lads together.

However must people get caught up on that 240 mins of the week and how a captain performs on the ground.   And Nathbear nailed it 100%.   It all comes down to performance.

Honestly, I don't think the pressure of the captaincy has had much if anything to do with Murphy's shocking season. Honestly, I don't think being the captain of a football club is any sort of chore on the field as you have 17 other mates out there with you at any given time and every single one of them should be providing leadership in different situations and of differing degrees. Yes, there are media responsibilities that go with being captain but they have no impact on what you do when you're out there playing. You just go out there, be yourself, and play football.

It's Murphy's standard of football this season that we should all be questioning, not his captaincy because being named captain of a football side is more of an honour than anything else.

Simpson and Carrazzo can do everything that a captain does on field.   Why can't they show leadership?   Just like the Swans senior core?  

All senior players should and can how on field leadership.  

Reply #61
What this whole discussion boils down to is this:

Marc Murphy is having an absolute shocker of a season.

If he'd played to the level we had all come to expect, there would be no discussions about whether or not he was up to the job of being captain of the club. We'd all be satisfied that he was leading by example, even if he wasn't the physical presence many here are now calling for.

It's Murphy's standard of football this season that we should all be questioning, not his captaincy because being named captain of a football side is more of an honour than anything else.

I agree, well said.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #62
i want to know why Murphy is playing is he has a bad knee, which will get a clean up at season's end, that has allowed him to train only once a week since the start of the season. Didn't know that until today.

If he's not fit, don't play him!!!

Reply #63
@Shakin'

The old statement about effective leaders is that they are the type of people that others WANT to naturally follow, they do not need to drag followers along or goad them into action.

Leaders know the way forward, know what needs to be done, are concerned for the well-being of their followers, are loyal to their followers, always set a good example etc. etc.

Most important quality of all though is that they INSPIRE their followers to achieve what the team/group sets out to achieve.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
@Shakin'

The old statement about effective leaders is that they are the type of people that others WANT to naturally follow, they do not need to drag followers along or goad them into action.

Leaders know the way forward, know what needs to be done, are concerned for the well-being of their followers, are loyal to their followers, always set a good example etc. etc.

Most important quality of all though is that they INSPIRE their followers to achieve what the team/group sets out to achieve.

I agree.  

The player voted on the leadership group so they should by result be the players that want to naturally follow.

"Carlton's general manager of football Andrew McKay said the entire playing list was given the opportunity to nominate for a leadership role. The playing group then voted on the nominees."

Murphy has always been a hard worker on and off the track.   He has shown what is required to be elite (his resume at Carlton would be only second to Judd) and has lead sides from his junior days.

As I have said the Coaches voted him the best player in the comp in 2011 and for me that's the best award you can win.   Do you think Voss, Worsfold, C.Scott, B.Scott, Lyon, etc would give a bloke who doesn't put his head over the ball and win it when it's his turn such an award.  They wouldn't

Like Nathbear said he is out of form.  If he was getting 30, 4.5 tackles and a goal a game we wouldn't be questioning his captaincy.   We would be pumping him up like we are with Simpson.   It's wasn't 10 weeks ago that most wanted him dropped.   Some questioning his courage.   I haven't gone back to that thread on the old board as it would embarrass some.

The more important question.   Why is he out of form, as he has shown to everyone he has done it in the past.