B   Dylan Buckley   Michael Jamison   Sam Rowe
HB   Kade Simpson   Lachie Henderson   Chris Yarran
C   Dale Thomas   Bryce Gibbs   Mark Whiley
HF   Levi Casboult   Liam Jones   Jason Tutt
F   Troy Menzel   Andrew Walker   Kristian Jaksch
R   Matthew Kreuzer   Marc Murphy   Chris Judd
IC   Clem Smith   Blaine Boakhorst   Andrejs Everitt
   Zach Tuohy

Premium on pace with Smith, Boakhorst, Tutt and Whiley have to be given priority over Carrazzo, Ellard, Bell and Cripps, etc. to start the season.

Everitt, Touhy and Jaksch are probably borderline selections with around 15 players pushing for those 3 spots.

Looking at this team compared to the one that ran Geelong close in round 21 -

OUT:

Brock McLean (slow)
Andrew Carrazzo (slow)
David Ellard (slow)
Dennis Armfield
Jarrad Waite (slow)
Cameron Wood (slow)
Nick Graham (slow)
Sam Docherty (slow)
Tom Bell (slow)
Ed Curnow (slow)
Ciaran Sheehan

9 slow.

IN:

Lachie Henderson
Clem Smith (fast)
Matthew Kreuzer
Blaine Boakhorst (fast)
Jason Tutt (fast)
Liam Jones (fast)
Mark Whiley (fast)
Andrew Walker (fast)
Kristian Jaksch
Andrejs Everitt
Dylan Buckley (fast)

Turnover of half the team - including 7 genuinely fast players coming in.

Walker in his advancing years should now be left at full forward as he is clearly our best/only full forward. Likewise Henderson is our best CHB and needs to be left there for the full year. Swingmen are desperation stuff. If Rowe can be left on the 3rd opposition fwd I think it could benefit the team in a big way.

Tutt and Smith coming into the forward half along with Walker and 3 genuine talls plus Menzel gives us something the opposition really won't like dealing with. Looks more interesting than Ellard/Waite/etc.

Re: Rnd 1/Best 22 2015

Reply #151
Docherty is not slow

Reply #153
B   Dylan Buckley   Michael Jamison   Sam Rowe
HB   Kade Simpson   Lachie Henderson   Chris Yarran
C   Dale Thomas   Bryce Gibbs   Mark Whiley
HF   Levi Casboult   Liam Jones   Jason Tutt
F   Troy Menzel   Andrew Walker   Kristian Jaksch
R   Matthew Kreuzer   Marc Murphy   Chris Judd
IC   Clem Smith   Blaine Boakhorst   Andrejs Everitt
   Zach Tuohy

Premium on pace with Smith, Boakhorst, Tutt and Whiley have to be given priority over Carrazzo, Ellard, Bell and Cripps, etc. to start the season.

Everitt, Touhy and Jaksch are probably borderline selections with around 15 players pushing for those 3 spots.

Looking at this team compared to the one that ran Geelong close in round 21 -

OUT:

Brock McLean (slow)
Andrew Carrazzo (slow)
David Ellard (slow)
Dennis Armfield
Jarrad Waite (slow)
Cameron Wood (slow)
Nick Graham (slow)
Sam Docherty (slow)
Tom Bell (slow)
Ed Curnow (slow)
Ciaran Sheehan

9 slow.

IN:

Lachie Henderson
Clem Smith (fast)
Matthew Kreuzer
Blaine Boakhorst (fast)
Jason Tutt (fast)
Liam Jones (fast)
Mark Whiley (fast)
Andrew Walker (fast)
Kristian Jaksch
Andrejs Everitt
Dylan Buckley (fast)

Turnover of half the team - including 7 genuinely fast players coming in.

Walker in his advancing years should now be left at full forward as he is clearly our best/only full forward. Likewise Henderson is our best CHB and needs to be left there for the full year. Swingmen are desperation stuff. If Rowe can be left on the 3rd opposition fwd I think it could benefit the team in a big way.

Tutt and Smith coming into the forward half along with Walker and 3 genuine talls plus Menzel gives us something the opposition really won't like dealing with. Looks more interesting than Ellard/Waite/etc.

This isn't FIFA 15, mate. We want footballers, not fast runners. Docherty is not slow and Whiley is not fast by the way.

Reply #154
Why did we get Tutt, Dick, Smith, Boakhorst, etc?

Why did the recruitment manager state that he was under instruction to address the need for outside speed?

We played Curnow, Brock, Bell, Ellard, Carrazzo, etc. all in the same team last year. And it cost us.

Reply #155
What is it with people trying to say Curnow is slow? He is our best run with player, with a player like Cotchin we need Curnow to go with him. He'd be one of the first picked every game.

Reply #156
What is it with people trying to say Curnow is slow? He is our best run with player, with a player like Cotchin we need Curnow to go with him. He'd be one of the first picked every game.
Whilst I agree with you Raydan, I do find it a little sad that OUR FIRST picked is Curnow. By this I mean that most of the contenders first picked would be an attacking weapon. Ours is an elite runner who is a good run with player but with limited other attributes/skills. Yes his attitude and work ethic is first rate or elite but...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
Curnow is slow isn't he?

I thought that was pretty clear.

Anyway, he's a pretty good tagger but questionable kick.

Reply #158
Whilst I agree with you Raydan, I do find it a little sad that OUR FIRST picked is Curnow. By this I mean that most of the contenders first picked would be an attacking weapon. Ours is an elite runner who is a good run with player but with limited other attributes/skills. Yes his attitude and work ethic is first rate or elite but...

One of the first picked  ;).

I would say we'd have around 10 that are automatic, Curnow would be one cause of his shut down roles. Muphy is 95% attack, Judd is 95% attack Gibbs 70% attack we would need someone in there who is defensive.

@Jeza, Curnow is frequently reported as top 2-3 in the 3km trials, which would say he is quick over a long distance. He's not lightning like Yarran but I'd be surprised if he wasn't top 20% for speed at our club.

Reply #159
@ Rayds - Furry muff mate ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #160
Problem with Curnow is the he does nothing else but tag and lacks an offensive game....the best taggers I have seen like a Cameron Ling work both ways...players like Jordan Lewis and Dan Hanneberry can tag and get a kick and we need something better than Curnow if we are to prosper.
I hope Whiley can bring an offensive game along with his tackling/tagging work and give us another player who can get the ball 25 plus times a game.....
Its very hard to carry one dimensional players these days....

Reply #161
Problem with Curnow is the he does nothing else but tag and lacks an offensive game....the best taggers I have seen like a Cameron Ling work both ways...players like Jordan Lewis and Dan Hanneberry can tag and get a kick and we need something better than Curnow if we are to prosper.
I hope Whiley can bring an offensive game along with his tackling/tagging work and give us another player who can get the ball 25 plus times a game.....

I have to disagree EB; Curnow often racks up impressive disposal (and tackle) numbers while blanketing his opponent.  However, I think that we don't get always good value from his disposals.  I'm not sure that it's really down to him; giving him support and more and better options to target could improve his effectiveness.

I reckon that Curnow would be as good as, if not better than Lewis if he was playing for the Hawks.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #162

I have to disagree EB; Curnow often racks up impressive disposal (and tackle) numbers while blanketing his opponent.  However, I think that we don't get always good value from his disposals.  I'm not sure that it's really down to him; giving him support and more and better options to target could improve his effectiveness.

I reckon that Curnow would be as good as, if not better than Lewis if he was playing for the Hawks.
I reckon at Hawthorn, EBs point of being able to carry someone like Ed is relevant. That is, Haw could carry a bloke like Ed, I reckon we cant ATM.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #163
Why did we get Tutt, Dick, Smith, Boakhorst, etc?

Why did the recruitment manager state that he was under instruction to address the need for outside speed?

We played Curnow, Brock, Bell, Ellard, Carrazzo, etc. all in the same team last year. And it cost us.

It wasn't just because of their pace and I don't think Tutt is all that quick anyway (big tank though). Age and position was just as important in those decisions (next year, McLean - 29, Carrazzo - 31, Ellard - 26, Curnow - 26) all midfielders above the age demographic we were after. Yes, they said we need pace but Garlett and Armfield weren't getting a game either. We needed talent in positions we lacked (outside run). It just so happens that those players need to have pace.

Reply #164

Love your work most of the time DJC but sheesh you're way off the mark here. Two different players altogether, not only in style but in class.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!