Skip to main content
Topic: Round 19 Post Game thread - Blues V Pies (Read 28333 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 19 Post Game thread - Blues V Pies

Reply #30
Murphy is playing very well atm and setting a very positive example for the team. Maybe the decision to appoint him as capt. is proving to be the right one! I will have to eat my words about him if he continues this way. Kreuz, fingers crossed, looks to be well back on track.

Cripps is one recruit we definitely seem to have got right, and Boekhorst also if he keeps going. We should definitely keep playing BB for the remaining games. Holman will be OK too IMO, and Clem plus Whiley off the bench really had a go today. So maybe a few green shoots starting to show? I also saw part of the NB's game and I thought Jones looked OK at times in defence so maybe we can eventually even make something of him too!

In summary we obviously are still a very ordinary side with poor skills, poor efficiency, poor decision making and we allow he opposition far too much time and space but maybe there are a few glimmers of hope and a basis to build on, albeit atm a small one?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
Not much to add, just another week closer to the end of a wretched season. The first quarter especially was hard to watch with the skill errors. Collingwood are pretty ordinary too.

Murphy, cripps, everitt, Kruezer were the better players. Cameos from casboult who kicked nicely and took some good marks. Henderson did ok, but is shifted around and is out of sorts. Usual clumsy forward entries and poor skills that have typified us for years.

I'm not certain what clem smith is being asked to do, nor what position he is suited. He is very green and as a first year player, nor need he be 'judged' if thats what the purpose of his playing was. Boekhorst, as our other first year player on the park took some steps forward today with some cleaner disposal and a goal.

Given the belting of the seconds it is a really sad looking club at the moment. So much needs to go right in the off season to give us a leg up.

And as some have mentioned, the commentary folk on ch 7 and foxtel are getting worse. As an expat who cannot attend games and must arise in this case at 5.30 am to watch the game, some actual insight and analysis from the commentators would be good, instead we get banter akin to a pub session with frequent cuts to close ups of coach nostrils.

Reply #32
I don't know who was guarding who, as all the Pies players found free space way too often and way too easy. I know White was on Pendlebury for a while and was shifted as he couldn't stop him. Our tackle effectiveness was poor and they ran around us like we were witches hats again. We go side ways or back far too often before we look for an option forwards. When we look forward we just bomb it anywhere. Over use of handballs. Poor effort of offering real defensive pressure.

What made it worse was the fact that this side doesn't have Lamumba, Shaw, Beams or a fit Cloke. It could have been a whole new form of ugly. Watching todays game makes we wonder if we can win any games before seasons end. Great work tanking there guys.

That is a bizarre comment. That's like saying we didn't have Waite, Laidler, Betts or a fit Judd.

Imagine if they had Daisy in too. ::)

Reply #33
What I took out of the game was the little bit of mongrel some of our younger boys have.
Buckley is a ripper, Holman and Wiley don't take a back step and Cripps towers above most. These new kids on the block like to throw their weight around and fly the flag where necessary.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #34
MilkIt.

Seriously think about my post and your thoughts. Waite has a good game every 5 or 6 games at best. Laidler was dumped by us a while back with no return and I still can't believe we let him go. He was a producer and should have been locked in. Betts and Judd are a loss no doubt. However we don't have Swan, Pendles, Sidebottom, Blair, Elliot, to tear up the middle of the park. I know that. I know we are down in our own stocks. However, when have the pies lost so many games in a row in a season against not all the best sides in the comp.

We lost Waite who really was a toss of the coin player for us. Depending on how he felt on the day. Belting players and being suspended to be a no real fit in this side. Thomas has done sweet FA for us for the entire 2 years and $1.5 million he has cost the side. He is about as useful as tits on a chook. Judd has been tagged since he came over and has not been at his best in his last 2 seasons. His kicking for goal has left him, and he has been expected to carry the load. Either way he was cooked before he put the fork into himself. He knows he played 1 season more than he should have.

Betts is our biggest loss. For certain. However lets just think of where Collingwood are with their side and where we are with our side. Both sides full of youth. Both sides on a rebuild. Do we have a Cloke coming back into our squad. No. We have a Gibbs and a Daisy.  Daisy doesn't count, because he is on a retirement plan. Don't forget they have lost players just like us, but their players have always been better than ours.

Here comes our biggest problem. Our ruck and stoppage players should have killed them. Kreuzer made their ruck boy look like a ruck girl. We made little to no use of our clearances. All hard work with no result. That is what frustrates me. if they had the same side they had 2 years ago, and we had the same side we had 2 years ago we would have been smashed by 10 goals minimum. We got out of jail in this game as the umpires finally gave us some slack we rarely get. Your rolly polly eyes can indicate what ever you like, but we hung in on a close one because we got a few lucky bounces and we were given some cotton wool treatment by umpires. We lack courage. We lack desperation. We lack character. We are playing for picks . No doubt about it.

I really donj't mind, but I fear we will screw that up as much as we have the entire club. Don't forget Henderson is gone by seasons end, and Yarran is close to follow. Walker is cooked. 2E is lost in space. Murph has to carry the load. That is the bad news. The worst news is that after watching that game, I did not see the best efforts from all the guys. Not at all. 
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #35
If I last long enough to see Cripps' whole career I think I'll go out a happy bloke....and maybe, just maybe, I  wont have already seen my last flag.

He definitely is a player you can build a team around.

You're not that old Lods. Expect the Extractor to deliver a flag or 3 and you can hold on to see SOC (son of Cripps) get a run. ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #36
MilkIt.

Seriously think about my post and your thoughts. Waite has a good game every 5 or 6 games at best. Laidler was dumped by us a while back with no return and I still can't believe we let him go. He was a producer and should have been locked in. Betts and Judd are a loss no doubt. However we don't have Swan, Pendles, Sidebottom, Blair, Elliot, to tear up the middle of the park. I know that. I know we are down in our own stocks. However, when have the pies lost so many games in a row in a season against not all the best sides in the comp.

We lost Waite who really was a toss of the coin player for us. Depending on how he felt on the day. Belting players and being suspended to be a no real fit in this side. Thomas has done sweet FA for us for the entire 2 years and $1.5 million he has cost the side. He is about as useful as tits on a chook. Judd has been tagged since he came over and has not been at his best in his last 2 seasons. His kicking for goal has left him, and he has been expected to carry the load. Either way he was cooked before he put the fork into himself. He knows he played 1 season more than he should have.

Betts is our biggest loss. For certain. However lets just think of where Collingwood are with their side and where we are with our side. Both sides full of youth. Both sides on a rebuild. Do we have a Cloke coming back into our squad. No. We have a Gibbs and a Daisy.  Daisy doesn't count, because he is on a retirement plan. Don't forget they have lost players just like us, but their players have always been better than ours.

Here comes our biggest problem. Our ruck and stoppage players should have killed them. Kreuzer made their ruck boy look like a ruck girl. We made little to no use of our clearances. All hard work with no result. That is what frustrates me. if they had the same side they had 2 years ago, and we had the same side we had 2 years ago we would have been smashed by 10 goals minimum. We got out of jail in this game as the umpires finally gave us some slack we rarely get. Your rolly polly eyes can indicate what ever you like, but we hung in on a close one because we got a few lucky bounces and we were given some cotton wool treatment by umpires. We lack courage. We lack desperation. We lack character. We are playing for picks . No doubt about it.

I really donj't mind, but I fear we will screw that up as much as we have the entire club. Don't forget Henderson is gone by seasons end, and Yarran is close to follow. Walker is cooked. 2E is lost in space. Murph has to carry the load. That is the bad news. The worst news is that after watching that game, I did not see the best efforts from all the guys. Not at all.

My point was that past players are irrelevant. You could've made your point by saying that they didn't have Cloke, Macaffer and Goldsack but that's nothing compared to no Judd, Gibbs, Daisy, Yarran and Menzel (regardless of current form). If you compare the players they've lost in the last few years you'll see that they got something just as good in return where as we lost all of our experience for nothing.

By the way, our stoppage players did kill them. There was a point in the game when Cripps had 9 clearances and the whole Collingwood side had 11. The problem was when it was cleared, it was turned over straight away because nobody provides a target and our forward line has no structure.

Reply #37
Would it be fair to say we have stopped running in waves like we did against the two Adelaide teams? Would love to know under whose directive this has been or are the players just not doing it any more? The players have stopped coming out in the media and saying they are allowed to play with more freedom now.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #38
How drunk were you? He did it after he kicked the first goal of the match. lol

I had a free lunch/beer day at the local Footy... I didn't get to see any of the Carlton game.

I'm wrapped he did it..  :)
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #39
Would it be fair to say we have stopped running in waves like we did against the two Adelaide teams? Would love to know under whose directive this has been or are the players just not doing it any more? The players have stopped coming out in the media and saying they are allowed to play with more freedom now.

Against port we had Armfield, Gibbs, Graham and even Yarran and Menzel weren't completely crap then.

That's a big difference in a side that's pretty crap.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #40

That was Barker's honeymoon period where the players give it their all after the coach gets the chop, didn't last long as expected.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41
That was Barker's honeymoon period where the players give it their all after the coach gets the chop, didn't last long as expected.

The honey moon period stopped when SOS put the brakes on.

He could see us winning games.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #42
What I took out of the game was the little bit of mongrel some of our younger boys have.
Buckley is a ripper, Holman and Wiley don't take a back step and Cripps towers above most. These new kids on the block like to throw their weight around and fly the flag where necessary.

Definitely heartened by this also.  I even took a pot shot at Smith earlier for being out of his depth but he shaped up to someone (can't remember who) twice his size which was great to see.

What we need now is to develop these players by 'evening up' their skills vs. deficiencies.  Carlton? Develop nascent talent?  Haaa HAHAHA haaaa Hahhhhaaaa.  Oh, mercy.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #43
The honey moon period stopped when SOS put the brakes on.

He could see us winning games.
That has got to be bullcrap.

You're saying we are tanking - AGAIN - which has worked so well in the past.  FFS.

Reply #44
I don't think we are tanking, I think Barker realised he may actually be a shot at the job when we started playing well and he went safe against Freo and Hawthorn with devastating consequences. Same as against North, I note there was no backwards hold on to the ball crap again this week and we played okay.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!