Skip to main content
Topic: RD 17 : Blues Defeat Kangaroos (After-Match Defibrillators) (Read 57145 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 17 : Blues Defeat Kangaroos (After-Match Defibrillators)

Reply #90
How bad was the midfield ?

That would be close the the worst effort I've seen for a couple of years.

Well done Kreuz.

Also, that game was a much much harder contest than Tge Saints match.

Not sure about the GC.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #91
So if we finish 8th, who do we want to play?
Sydney up there or the Dockers over there in that first final?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #92

You just killed my buzz man.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #93

Hopefully the bombers.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #94

Hopefully the bombers.

No, they'll get stripped of their points and we'll play Richmond or Collingwood.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #95
Are people influenced too much by statistics?

Watson's man was Robbie Tarrant for anyone in doubt, I mentioned in my discussions prior to the game that it was always likely to be him, but that I thought North should have played Daw instead, I also think if they did... they would have won this game.

Watson was so far behind Tarrant on the lead  tonight that it was embarrassing. I was sitting with a North mate and pointed out the contest before the game, but both agreed that it was unlikely Tarrant would be able to exploit it, because if he gets a free hit at a contested pack mark he is going to reach in to mark, or turn away, because he severely lacks the fortitude required to put a body into the contest, he also is only an average mark anyway and when he kicks a few goals it is often with great kicks, which he is.

I think Tarrant created plenty of chances to influence the game and very little that Watson done had any  influence on Tarrant not taking those chances.

Now I have said negative things about Watson before, so perhaps this comes across as biased.... But I absolutely think he had a poor game, it would be akin to saying in the first half McInnes beat Black... nope Black's horrific kicking beat himself. I do think McInnes was better in the 2nd half and the same goes for Watson.

That's what I mean about Watson.  Tarrant beat himself, Watson didn't do it.  A forward not scoring does not necessarily mean that his opponent has played well.  Perhaps some of Jammo's problems last night may have been because he was aware that he could not depend on Watson for support.  However, saying that I reckon that Jammo has a mental problem playing North, which, added to his loss of closing pace (carrying an injury??) resulted in a really bad game for him.

I wasn't at the game last night, but i was there last week. I made some comments about how Watson was used last week and although its tough to guage on TV it appears he was used in a similar role.

Essentially he is used as the spare man who fills the hole.
Last week he played in front of Riewoldt, this week Petrie.

So he may have let his opponent, Tarrant, run free out of the forward line and trailed behind him....but that was probably the plan. Ensure he doesn't get the ball inside 50. If he is outside 50, help out Jamo.

Smart play by Mick as it's worked 2 weeks in a role, using a guy that most people thought was destined for the scrap heap.

The fact Watson took THAT mark later on shows what he is capable of. Big boy who can take a grab under pressure and doesn't panic.
At the time of that mark i couldn't help but call out "Leo Barry you star!" as it reminded me of that moment.

Credit to Watson for his game last night. Played the team role and took more baby steps towards becoming an AFL player.

That torp and goal was just the icing on the cake.  :D

Reply #96
Let's start with North -

Linday Thomas, biggest diver in the league, doesn't chase and it's so dissapointing that he had those run into goal in the last, I almost would have perferred McInness to stay with him just so Thomas didn't get a goal.

Jack Ziebell, a very close second to Thomas. Every time he gets the ball and feels a tackle he pushes himself foward dragging the smaller midfielder into his back. Loved how Tuhoy got into him about the kick in the leg. He should have given away the free when he dove into Lucas' legs in the last, but the umpires have forgotten that rule it appears.

Drew Petrie - This guy is huge, he is ruckman size, strong and mobile. I watched and the shoulder difference between him and Jammo would have been 6-8 cms. So the reach would have been 10+ cms very hard to deal with without the actual weight difference.

Coach Scott - Have you seen a bigger sook ever in the coaches seat, it seemed that every decision was wrong, no wonder the players look for so many frees when the coaches rides each decision. Get rid of him, he's no good, actually keep him and North (which has some good talent there) will do nothing.

This game was tailor made for our small forwards and IMO they were serviable, just.

Eddie has gone to poo. I don't know if it's because he was a Ratten made man and now Mick doesn't put him on a pedestal but he plays with no confidence and none of the wizardry around goal that you've come to expect.

Garlett - A Nice game but he doesn't get the ground ball enough, too many times he overruns it and when you're that small getting down and picking up the ball should be a strength.

Yarran - First quarter was crap, then he started to chase with intent and tackle with strength and that seemed to change his game. Lovely strong mark at the end of the half running with the flight, hopefully he has turned the corner and we'll see the real Yazz for the rest of the season.

Henderson - Stud, Star, Gun....... FORWARD! I said last week to be carefull of putting too much praise on the big forwards as they were only playing against St Kilda second string backs and while Hendo still looked like a star, Rowe was found out against the better defence bigs on North. I'm sure if Casboult would have played instead of Rowe last week he would have kicked a few as well.

Kreuzer - Much better game against an AA candidate in the ruck, did well around the ground, held some tackles the one against Wells was crucial. I love when he gets down and "transforms" in tractor mode, people just bounce off. Very good game

Simpson - Took you half the season, but you're back.

Watson - a better game. Tarrant didn't score and very similar to last season he seems to be better the more game time he gets. Is he going to be a world beater at FB? Probably not but if he continues to improve then we could have something, his spoiling and marking were better and the torp was beautiful and the mark was gutsy, more than happy with his game.

Jammo - standing Petrie is a huge job and he was OK in that regard, but his field kicking has gone to crap.

Curnow - Great game, Harvey had little influence and when you had the ball the useage was very good. Second best on ground behind Jammo.

Lucas - Again you have suprised me, North has one thing, strong hard bodied mids, and I didn't see you shirk the issue once, in fact I thought a few times you were very tough at it. Worth keeping, you just need to take the next step and beome a 20 poss per game player.

Any chance our boys can grow a brain in the last? Perfect example, unless you can 100% effect the contest then prevent the attacking option.

1. McInness and Wells on the wing, first McInness goes to ground but coralls Wells hard on the boundary line, Good work? NO! He buys a dummy which allows Wells to bring it into the middle and a gal comes from it, where if AMac would have just let him kick down the line the worst that could have happened was an attack from one half of the ground but most likely a throw in.

2. Petrie on the lead to the wing and Jammo goes for the late spoil, overruns the contest and Petrie get clear space to run on, I think North stuffed up their attack on this one, but just dumb footy.

Any win against this mob is good, in fact great.

Reply #97
That last over commitment you mention Raydan is the reason why we coughed up many easy goals.  Too ball focussed and not playimg the percentages.  Win the contest or lose the contest.  It seems that our players dont realise that stalemate is an option nor do they understand the benefit of a tactical retreat.  Petrie taking marks 60+ out from goal is a mini win.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #98
Our forward line looks some much more potent with Henderson forward.   Him being there really brings the smalls into play.

We really need to persist with this set up.  

We need to keep Watson down back.  Yes he is a bit slow and still learning, but if he can permantly hold down a spot down back, then  we could keep hendo as a permanent forward.  

We probably should have lost last night but you know what, we beat NORF who, besides StKilda was our bigest bogey side in the last 10 years.   The fact we did in at Etihad which has been a problem for us, cannot be undersetimatied.

Need to go to Gold Coast now and not rest on our laurels.  

Reply #99
Dont get ahead of yourself sunshine :) We will be in the 8 24 hrs at best.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #100
Heart still recovering from that game last night!!

Thought our purple patch in the 3rd qrt was due to our midfield smashing theirs ......

Kreuzer was immense around the ground, aided by a very weary Goldstein. His tapwork really worries me. I swear 75% of his taps were straight down the throat of the opposition!!

Gibbs...good game peoplle say??? Really ???  11 disposals from a guy with "supposedly" a lot of talent..................no where near good enough for me. His disposal on 3 occassions last night were direct turnovers under no pressure. 

Thought Cachia was a weird choice as sub too, but my God what an impact!!  Did I hear right in that he had 10 possessions and 5 tackles in 1 qrt of footy???  Fantastic effort.

In Hendo, we have our key fwd. It's the key defender we need to find. What a great game. Love his leadership in the F50 too. Always talking, always praising good work.

The 3 amigos worked well in patches. slowly getting their mojo back.

Was very pleased with Watsons 2 efforts last night....the torp and that mark. Infact i think that mark will go a long way in building confidence in this kid. I'm far from sold on him and apart from those 2 passages, he was fairly pedestrian.

Simmo is learning to carry the extra weight........of his beard!! Great game.

Murph looked freer minus the headwear but there was that contest with Zieble in the 1st or 2nd qrt that had me fearing the worst. Got through it and played well.

Does any1 else think that Army has lost his pace??? There were a few efforts of his for the past few weeks that were very un Army like.

All in all, we played fairly well. The umps were poo yet again but whats new?
We still have too many players who dont get enough of the pill. Too much left to too few.
For those with the time and inclination.....it would be an interesting stat to see how we compare with other teams with regard to how many of our players have 9 possessions or less in a game. It seems to me we have a lot of bit players and rely on the same few each week to do the bulk of the work.

Anywhoo   Go Blues!!
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #101
Has anyone mentioned that incredible torpedo induced coast to coast goal?*

Want to see the clock on that one.  Definitely a ploy worth trying at least once a game.

For the life of me I cannot fathom why Watson doesn't kick out every single time.  Such a beautiful kick!
He's relatively slow, and Walker's relatively fast so ... swap roles.

*Oh, just saw your post bigblue. Maybe I should stop ignoring the warning the new system throws up  :P
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #102
Has anyone mentioned that incredible torpedo induced coast to coast goal?

Want to see the clock on that one.  Definitely a ploy worth trying at least once a game.

For the life of me I cannot fathom why Watson doesn't kick out every single time.  Such a beautiful kick!
He's relatively slow, and Walker's relatively fast so ... swap roles.

75m barrell that one.   Can't do it too often as it becomes to predictable.   But once or twice a game, it could work

Reply #103
Did anyone watch the pre-game stuff on foxtel?

Eddie, Kingy and co were pumping up the Kangas at every opportunity. In 40 minutes of television i dont think they said something positive about Carlton nor something negative against North.

They showed how close North had come in their losses this year and how hard done by they had been. They suggested that they could have been top 4 if things had've gone their way. They failed to show that Blues had the same amount of close losses and thus a similar opportunity for a higher ladder position.

Their individual pre-match predictions were all pro-north.
- Boomer to kick 4-5 goals
- Norths 3 talls to kick 10 between them
- Thomas to kick a bag
- Hansen to take 8 intercept marks.

They were also suggesting that Lachie Hansen was the equal of Lachie Henderson...or that he was in fact better. Never did they suggest that Henderson was actually going to play forward or that his role has changed recently. It was a 'battle for the intercept marks' which they spent 5 minutes talking about....yet it was never on the cards as Hendo was always going to play forward.

North lost last week.
Carlton won.
Carlton are placed higher on the ladder.

North were favourites with the bookies, and certainly all of the panel.

Apparantly North are better placed in 2014 compared to carlton too. Obviously suggesting that both teams had written off 2013, yet here we are sitting in 8th position currently.

I couldn't understand what i was watching. I'm pretty realistic with where i think we are in relation to other clubs, but i thought i had entered the twilight zone or something because nobody spoke a word of sense the entire show. Even the commentators were very pro-kangas early "unlucky to not get a free there were north" vs "probably a bit lucky to get that one was Carlton"

There was no love at all for us, and a decade worth of valentines days rolled into 40 minutes worth of TV directed towards North.

I got more joy from the win knowing that all those fools had to suck eggs then i would've had we had beaten someone like the bombers last night!

Reply #104
Did anyone watch the pre-game stuff on foxtel?

Eddie, Kingy and co were pumping up the Kangas at every opportunity. In 40 minutes of television i dont think they said something positive about Carlton nor something negative against North.

They showed how close North had come in their losses this year and how hard done by they had been. They suggested that they could have been top 4 if things had've gone their way. They failed to show that Blues had the same amount of close losses and thus a similar opportunity for a higher ladder position.

Their individual pre-match predictions were all pro-north.
- Boomer to kick 4-5 goals
- Norths 3 talls to kick 10 between them
- Thomas to kick a bag
- Hansen to take 8 intercept marks.

They were also suggesting that Lachie Hansen was the equal of Lachie Henderson...or that he was in fact better. Never did they suggest that Henderson was actually going to play forward or that his role has changed recently. It was a 'battle for the intercept marks' which they spent 5 minutes talking about....yet it was never on the cards as Hendo was always going to play forward.

North lost last week.
Carlton won.
Carlton are placed higher on the ladder.

North were favourites with the bookies, and certainly all of the panel.

Apparantly North are better placed in 2014 compared to carlton too. Obviously suggesting that both teams had written off 2013, yet here we are sitting in 8th position currently.

I couldn't understand what i was watching. I'm pretty realistic with where i think we are in relation to other clubs, but i thought i had entered the twilight zone or something because nobody spoke a word of sense the entire show. Even the commentators were very pro-kangas early "unlucky to not get a free there were north" vs "probably a bit lucky to get that one was Carlton"

There was no love at all for us, and a decade worth of valentines days rolled into 40 minutes worth of TV directed towards North.

I got more joy from the win knowing that all those fools had to suck eggs then i would've had we had beaten someone like the bombers last night!

WOW.  that sounds bad.   To be honest though, Kingy is former North player so no real surprise.  Not many footy Commentators rate us, which is fair enough, but we are not a rabble and the team does have some good attributes.

I think it is better for footy world not to pump our tyres too much as in the past players got ahead of themselves when the spotlight was on us.  

Under the rader is fine by me