Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 20; Carlton vs St Kilda: Post Game Profanity (Read 18973 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 20; Carlton vs St Kilda: Post Game Profanity

Reply #60
Lots of calls for delistings but realistically you can only pick up 4 good players a year, 5 if all the stars align but that hasn't happened at Carlton since the year Sticks came over from Adelaide.
The players in the seniors today who aren't up to it are as good as we can put on the park, Charlie Curnow and Murphy will replace two of them and Byrne another one when and if he gets back from his knee, but there's no talent in the seconds to replace the other half dozen that need to be moved on.
Vojo and Clem Smith are almost certain to be delisted, Walks has retired and Jamison almost definitely will, that leaves another six or so maximum, and there's players like Lamb, Jones, Whiley, Tutt, Dick, Jaksch and Foster on our senior list who don't look capable of carving out an AFL career.
Most of the second raters who played in the seniors today will still be at Carlton next season, it's going to be a very slow process overhauling our list.

I'd rather move sheehan to our senior list and hope his body holds up than continue with some of the lesser skilled blokes or recruit pick 90 odd.  At least we know sheehan can play he has just been unlucky with injury.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
It ain't a spectator sport.... He was nowhere near physically ready to make any impact.  The others you mentioned weren't going out to  play a game that they'll remember for the rest of their life.  The club will be smarter in future no doubt.  (Not a fan, but Daisy had more possessions than 14 other players!!)

Would you give Jammo a game next week??? He would be just as well prepared as Walker.

If it wasn't his farewell game, his name wouldn't even be discussed, and his performance would be indistinguishable from many others, and would be part of a large mass of nothingness that we would all soon rather forget.

Reply #62
Very very flat this week - just did not look motivated. Going through the motions late in the season I guess against a lively Saints outfit which showed better skills and greater interest. Hopefully we can spark up and play a lot better next week.  :(
Skills: they certainly had them and we didn't. We were fine until we got to the point of kicking the ball into the forward line. Then .....
St Kilda certainly wanted it more. They played well and we were flat as a tack.
We may have played poorly and made too many mistakes, but our coaching staff did address some of the issues from last time and did it pretty well. But we had 6 good players. The rest didn't turn up.
Our defence really had holes for the first time in ages. Our midfield wasn't that bad: many of the flaws from last time were addressed and we did win there. But our forward line was non existent and the way we kicked into the forward line was indescribably bad.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #63
Saints have exposed us for pace twice this year and with the lightning quick GWS not far off their first premiership it's clear we need to draft quick players.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #64
Saints have exposed us for pace twice this year and with the lightning quick GWS not far off their first premiership it's clear we need to draft quick players.

I suppose who you draft depends on what the game plan is. The Aints go for pace, but you counteract pace by closing up space and making sure you have talls who can mark the contested ball. It's no point recruiting pace just because that is what the opponents have, unless you don't have a game plan to support it.

At the weekend I saw Aints players who were 180cm types out marking our +190cm players. That is a skill and commitment issue, our player development continues to suck in this regard. It's hard to see why or how a player gets to AFL level and does not know how to use their body to advantage. Some of our football decision making yesterday was U12 level stuff.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65

Sainst spread very well, we won clearances but when they got the footy they went wide and burnt us with pace and decent skills by hand and foot.....Billings and Ross are two young kids who use the footy well even though they are not quick but setup the blokes who are.....

There isnt much we dont need though.....

Reply #66

They did the same to Geelong. I agree with LP that it's a skill and commitment issue. I was really expecting us to come out with a new game plan to deal with the Saints after they toweled us up earlier in the season and I'm sure Bolts would have had a plan. Unfortunately too many players couldn't or wouldn't lift and our ball usage on far too many times was embarrassing. We don't necessarily need quick players. We need hard working intelligent footballers who will leave nothing out there after a game.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #67
So, who are these blokes that when it really matters, lets be serious, against a team like the Saints that towelled us up, do not have the skill and/or commitment.

That is, who needs the chop and is not part of 2017?????????

Who is not a 2-way runner?

The mids were horrendous.

Reply #68

The slowness affects three areas, all of which affect each other in a vicious circle fashion - slow decision making / thought process, slow ball movement, and slow leg speed.

Reply #69
So, who are these blokes that when it really matters, lets be serious, against a team like the Saints that towelled us up, do not have the skill and/or commitment.

That is, who needs the chop and is not part of 2017?????????

Who is not a 2-way runner?

The mids were horrendous.
This stood out more for me that than the turnovers and clangers. When the Saints broke away with the footy, our mids were lagging way behind with tongues hanging out. These days, you need to switch from attack to defense very quickly and our blokes just didnt. It looked like they thought it was going to just go our way and when when it didnt, they seemed shocked. Our defenders had little or no chance.
Kicking in was bad also. For example, I was above the kick outs for 2 qtrs and many times, two of our blokes, one either side of a StK fwd protecting space, moved towards that fwd simultaneously. it meant the bloke kicking out had a tougher target to hit and the StK fwd's job of protecting space was made easier. FFS get more distance btw you and the opo player to make the kick out and resulting mark easier. Is it that hard?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #70
In retrospect two things I enjoyed watching yesterday were Cripps over the shoulder  handballs and that familiar Silvagni gait when Jack cleared the ball from fullback.

As with Williams when he first came to Carlton and players were being hit on the back not expecting a handball the receivers are leaning to expect Cripps freakish handballs.

Seeing Jack with that unique gait the years rolled away and I was reminded of watching his dad as a young player. Jack looked confident with his skills on the backline and I wouldn't mind seeing him tried there while he's developing.

Reply #71
In retrospect two things I enjoyed watching yesterday were Cripps over the shoulder  handballs and that familiar Silvagni gait when Jack cleared the ball from fullback.

As with Williams when he first came to Carlton and players were being hit on the back not expecting a handball the receivers are leaning to expect Cripps freakish handballs.

Seeing Jack with that unique gait the years rolled away and I was reminded of watching his dad as a young player. Jack looked confident with his skills on the backline and I wouldn't mind seeing him tried there while he's developing.
And the roar from the Carlton faithful whenever he did something. Sigh.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #72
Pace without skill is useless, Armfield is lightning quick but he butchers the ball 50% of the time.
Hawthorn aren't a quick side apart from one or two, Geelong at their peak weren't either.
Ling and Mitchell are slow by current VFL standards, Hodge is only average and so is Lewis.
So is Cripps.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #73
...You only need to be foot quick, when your teammate kicks the ball 10 metres either side of you, handballs behind you, to your feet or bombs it on your head.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #74

Wasn't it uncannily familiar :D

He did it another time earlier in the game too but that was more striking.

Not sure it's been mentioned...but Hawthorn were pretty flat in their game as well.
Maybe the week before took a bit of a toll on both teams.