Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 9408 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #225
Melbourne is having the same problem both Grundy and Gawn cant play in the same team as can't play forward.
Luckily we are paying Pittonet as much as a fourth round pick should get paid so we can carry him.

Reply #226
Subject to further results, there will be more changes you can almost guarantee it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #227
If the bulldogs dont win, our game tomorrow becomes the equivalent as a training run.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #228
If the bulldogs dont win, our game tomorrow becomes the equivalent as a training run.

So... if Cats beat Dogs, we play GWS wk1 of finals?
At home?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #229

Saints lost so home elimination final is guaranteed.

Reply #230
It may be counted as a clearance if the player gets a disposal.    A "ruck hardball get" is a specific category used by Champion Data.  Midway through last season Tom Hawkins had 20 "ruck hardball gets", something like twice as many as the next best.

I noticed when Jack took clean possession from a ruck contest and kicked a goal (when he injured his knee) that he wasn't credited with a hitout to advantage but was given a contested possession.  I imagine that if you drilled down further, there'd be a "ruck hardball get".

I know that Harry has got several this season and Charlie has at least one.

I will be expecting Harry to go for clean possessions whenever he can.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that its kinda like a hitout....if it doesn't get to a teammate, what does it matter?

Hawkins can push his opponent out of the way, grab the ball (and get his ruck hardball get) but if he gets tackled straight away and the balls spills free or its another ball up, what was the benefit in doing so? If he gets a boot to ball, he'll get the clearance.
In the Jack play you mention, he would've got a clearance for that though (as well as his ruck hardball get).
So your stat is correct, but i'm just cutting out the middle man and going straight to the clearance.

Its actually something Pittonet is good at, grabbing the ball out of the ruck and throwing it on the boot. Its why his clearance numbers are not so bad despite the fact he almost never picks the ball up off the deck.

Reply #231
I really hope the boys don’t lose track of the collective and get unduly distracted by Charlie’s potential Coleman. The person having the shot should be the one in best position, be it Charlie or someone else. When and if the game is in the bag, by all means give him the ball. The collective effort has played no small part in our recent great form, and it’s importance should not be downplayed. There’s no shame for Charlie to be a winner and also runner up in the Coleman , and certainly no shame finishing second to arguably the best shot for goal the game has seen.

Reply #232
It's another example of somewhat bogus reporting of stats, because the ruck can defeat his opponent hands down in F50 take the ball cleanly, and it just gets reported as Contested Possession or Score Assist.
bogus stats or bogus reading.....
You get credited with a clearance.

Reply #233
I really hope the boys don’t lose track of the collective and get unduly distracted by Charlie’s potential Coleman. The person having the shot should be the one in best position, be it Charlie or someone else. When and if the game is in the bag, by all means give him the ball. The collective effort has played no small part in our recent great form, and it’s importance should not be downplayed. There’s no shame for Charlie to be a winner and also runner up in the Coleman , and certainly no shame finishing second to arguably the best shot for goal the game has seen.
THE best shot for goal the game has seen? I'd agree with ONE of the best, I reckon there are few handy ones ahead of him. I can't go passed Lockett and Dunstall for accuracy, routine, reliability.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #234
THE best shot for goal the game has seen? I'd agree with ONE of the best, I reckon there are few handy ones ahead of him. I can't go passed Lockett and Dunstall for accuracy, routine, reliability.

Yes, those two and Walker would all be in the conversation for sure.

EDIT : if you needed a set shot after the siren to win a GF, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three.

Reply #235
Quite a diverse emergency list to choose a sub from....

[22] Caleb Marchbank,
[27] Marc Pittonet,
[37] Jordan Boyd,
[35] Ed Curnow

Reply #238
I'm now more worried about Charlie kicking 2 goals! It's a team game for sure but would be a bummer to get pipped for the Coleman in the last game of the season.

Reply #239
I'm now more worried about Charlie kicking 2 goals! It's a team game for sure but would be a bummer to get pipped for the Coleman in the last game of the season.

If Charlie plays the way he has been, and the team continues its ruthless footy, the goals will flow.

However, if Charlie feels that he can best serve the team by driving bullet passes to teammates inside 50, he'll do that and forget about the Coleman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball