Topic: The F Word. (Read 23335 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The F Word.

Reply #60
Is the F Word Finals or Foolish?? 

Reply #61
Is the F Word Finals or Foolish??

Both.
It would be foolish to be thinking we will make the finals at this stage.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #62
Thinking of finals doesn't hurt any of the supporters, but should not be on the mind of the players. That would be the club thinking in the opposite direction to what Bolts appears to be teaching them.

It is obvious with this group, and he reiterates it after win or loss, he doesn't want them to read too much into their wins and he doesn't want them to read too much into their losses. Following this mantra, whether we make finals or not has no real saying on whether we are having a successful year. What matters is continuing to play football in the manner than ensures that when it all starts clicking, when the team plays like this every week and our list is where we need it, then we will be playing regular finals football. In other words the players should not even be aiming at all for the finals, if it comes as a by product, that is fine, if it doesn't... that is fine. I a, fairly sure Bolton would prefer we finish the last round missing finals, but never leave any game where our commitment to pressure football is questioned, than getting to the finals, but playing a couple of games where we are considered soft.

I think the season gets harder not easier as well, maintaining the message, maintaining the rage, not becoming stale after we do take some hard losses, ensuring that every week, every day, the same message goes through all and never falters, that is a bigger challenge than playing football in September.

I don't care if we make finals, I really don't at all. If I was betting on us, I would say it is probably the odds should be as much as 2/5 against us making the finals, but we are a chance.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #63
We shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves for sure but we shouldn't be setting any limits either - only the sky. Keep playing the way we played on Sun and results take care of themselves. Focus on our system and on improving!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #64
Both.
It would be foolish to be thinking we will make the finals at this stage.

We have the 15th hardest, (hence 4th easiest) draw from here on out.
We play saints twice, lions twice, pies and bombers again. Win them and we're on 11 wins. 2 more guarantees you a spot.

Get on Freo for the spoon! Apprantly 2nd hardest draw from here on out. Ouch.

Reply #65
Given where we sit... next year would probably be a more realistic scenario.
But if it happens let's embrace it, even if we cop a hiding ... another great learning experience.

Reply #66
Given where we sit... next year would probably be a more realistic scenario.
But if it happens let's embrace it, even if we cop a hiding ... another great learning experience.

My projection has us playing a final next year but I'd happily settle for us to achieve that milestone a year early.  I don't think we'll make it this year though.  As Bolton warned, we should expect a few heavy and perhaps unanticipated losses before the season is out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
No reason not to have it in the back of our mind given we're 6-5 and 6 wins from 7 games. Focus is on development with finals as a bonus but it's not without a chance. We need to win next week to be 7-5 as after the bye the next  weeks are brutal. The Pies, West Coast and Adelaide are very winnable in Melboune. After that 4 much softer games to finish.

Round 12 Sunday, June 12
STK v CARL ES 1:10PM

Round 13 BYE

Round 14 Saturday, June 25
GWS v CARL SPO

Round 15 Saturday, July 02
CARL v COLL MCG 7:25PM

Round 16 Sunday, July 10
CARL v ADEL MCG 1:10PM

Round 17 Sunday, July 17
CARL v WCE MCG 1:10PM

Round 18 Saturday, July 23
SYD v CARL SCG 1:45PM

Round 19 Saturday, July 30
HAW v CARL AU 2:10PM

Round 20 Sunday, August 07
CARL v STK MCG 1:10PM

Round 21 Saturday, August 13
BL v CARL   G 1:45PM

Round 22 Sunday, August 21
CARL v MELB MCG 1:10PM

Round 23 Saturday, August 27
ESS v CARL MCG

Reply #68
Now that we're beating everyone in sight shouldn't we be setting our sights a little higher?

Should the F word be top Four?

Seriously though - just awesome to see how much this team is improving. Each week someone new jumps up. We seem to be really hard to beat (North game aside) and considering last off-season we sacrificed the here and now for 5 top juniors - and 4 of them aren't playing - just a brilliant season so far.

Last year was the worst season of footy I've ever endured. This season - easily the best in recent memory.

Reply #69
Totally agree jeza. Except with the top four bit, that is surely a delightful fantasy, but highly unlikely reality :o

But hey, fantasise all you like. It'll be good preparation for the success our club's building towards.

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #70
experienced hardened bodies with finals experience playing a gameplan the players like. looks positive and a potent mix but don't think we will make the finals but will be in for a shout.

if we beat one of WCE, hawthorn or Sydney then I'm on the finals bandwagon

Reply #71
experienced hardened bodies with finals experience playing a gameplan the players like. looks positive and a potent mix but don't think we will make the finals but will be in for a shout.

if we beat one of WCE, hawthorn or Sydney then I'm on the finals bandwagon

Hopefully we beat St.Kilda first then our best chance of the next 6 are Collingwood, West Coast and Adelaide with te latter two at home. with the softer last 4 games you're then looking at a chance. Reality is though next week is a real danger game then the next 6 games is a brutal stretch but win the ones I spoke about then you never know your luck.

Reply #72
Let's beat St Kilda and then I absolutely seriously believe we are a chance.

Our percentage sucks though.

We can win the last 4... Beat saints that's 11 wins.

We have beaten Geelong who are third, so no reason we can't win a few more.

13 wins...
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #73
My view is that we shouldn't get to far ahead of ourselves so I am taking it one premiership at a time.

Reply #74
After the Coll game on the 7/5/16, I looked at the draw and predicated the following:
RIC   L
SYD   L
GCS   L
WBD   L
FRE   W
ESS   W
COL   W
PA   W
NM   L
GEE   L
BL   W
STK   W
BYE   
GWS   L
COL   W
ADE   L
WCE   W
SYD   L
HAW   L
STK   W
BL   L
MEL   W
ESS   W
I had us winning 11 and losing to Geel (now a W). I really want to beat Haw and/or Syd, dont really care about the rest or making finals TBH, as long as we continue playing the way we are I'm more than happy. If we blood a few more young uns, thats another bonus. Having said that, if we keep playing the way we are now, the W's may well take care of themselves.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time