Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 2838 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

A Thursday night game, which is a real pain for me.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Not looking good at this point. Not enough players contributing enough.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Team for tomorrow looks better than it has for a while, but it is still short of class:

B:  Lachie Young   Sam Durdin  Harry Lemmey
HB:  Billy Wilson  Dom Akuei  Brodie Kemp
C:  Ollie Hollands  Jaxon Binns  Tom Phillips
HF:  Ned Cahill  Rob Monahan  Ashton Moir
F: Liam McMahon  Luke Nelson  Alex Mirkov
R: Hudson O'Keefe  Jack Carroll Zavier Maher
Int:  Darcy Hogg  Wil White  Michael Lewis  B Lambert  Heath Ramshaw

Em:  Archie Stevens  Kristian Ferranato  Jess Gedi  Hayden Gill  C Verrel  L Prout  Blake Kuipers  Jack Lefroy

Alex Mirkov has really struggled since his return and is obviously a long way off the pace at the moment. On the other hand, he needs time on ground to get some form and fitness back.
Dom Akuei looks a long way off the pace. he has gone backwards and won't be on the list next year. Spots will be wanted, and he doesn't have the intensity to make it.
I'd be tempted to play Durdin next week for Young, if he gets through this game. he knows how to use his body, which Young doesn't.
Kemp also has a chance to impress: there is a spot there if he does the right thing.
I like what I see from Rob Monahan, but he is a long way off at the moment, especially in the key forward spot. He does have the pace and the intensity to make it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Team for tomorrow looks better than it has for a while, but it is still short of class:

B:  Lachie Young   Sam Durdin  Harry Lemmey
HB:  Billy Wilson  Dom Akuei  Brodie Kemp
C:  Ollie Hollands  Jaxon Binns  Tom Phillips
HF:  Ned Cahill  Rob Monahan  Ashton Moir
F: Liam McMahon  Luke Nelson  Alex Mirkov
R: Hudson O'Keefe  Jack Carroll Zavier Maher
Int:  Darcy Hogg  Wil White  Michael Lewis  B Lambert  Heath Ramshaw

Em:  Archie Stevens  Kristian Ferranato  Jess Gedi  Hayden Gill  C Verrel  L Prout  Blake Kuipers  Jack Lefroy

Alex Mirkov has really struggled since his return and is obviously a long way off the pace at the moment. On the other hand, he needs time on ground to get some form and fitness back.
Dom Akuei looks a long way off the pace. he has gone backwards and won't be on the list next year. Spots will be wanted, and he doesn't have the intensity to make it.
I'd be tempted to play Durdin next week for Young, if he gets through this game. he knows how to use his body, which Young doesn't.
Kemp also has a chance to impress: there is a spot there if he does the right thing.
I like what I see from Rob Monahan, but he is a long way off at the moment, especially in the key forward spot. He does have the pace and the intensity to make it.
Young just seems plain timid and frightened to go near the ball (ie scared or knows he'll make a blue). There was one passage of play where he flat out looked at the ball and didn't pick it up thinking another Carlton player would (might have been Cottrell maybe?). He was clearly closer to the footy and should have attacked it and ran off with it, instead, he filled his shorts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Vossy reckons in his presser we should get back Martin, Gov and Marchbank. Three very important ins (cant believe Im saying that about Marchbank).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #5
Vossy reckons in his presser we should get back Martin, Gov and Marchbank. Three very important ins (cant believe Im saying that about Marchbank).
I'd have Kemp back in for Fritsch and forget about Marchbank...
Pittonet needs to rough up Gawn and Charlie owes us a big game.

Reply #6
I'd have Kemp back in for Fritsch and forget about Marchbank...
Pittonet needs to rough up Gawn and Charlie owes us a big game.

Yep, no to Marchbank... remember the last time he came in underdone! Mistakes galore.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
None of them feature in the VFL today, if they come straight in it appears the MC are showing signs of panic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
None of them feature in the VFL today, if they come straight in it appears the MC are showing signs of panic.
Would you play Gov or Martin in the Magoos?
They would both get injured running through an Auskick Banner.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #9
I don't expect to win but I expect a lot of improvement in work rate, selection, and on field  set up.  A case of "how we play" (process) moreso than the results.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Would you play Gov or Martin in the Magoos?
They would both get injured running through an Auskick Banner.
I wouldn't hesitate giving them at least 1/2 or 3/4, because they are just as likely to pull a follicle in the warm up.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
I don't expect to win but I expect a lot of improvement in work rate, selection, and on field  set up.  A case of "how we play" (process) moreso than the results.

Watching Melbourne against Geelong was an almost better side than when they won the last flag. Hard to find a weak link. If our pressure is just slightly off for a short period and if we continue to bomb long expecting talls to take a mark by chance, we will be given a lesson in how to lose another match.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12
To be fair Prof, we did a lot well vs the Filth considering the limited I50s and only lost by 6 points as a result of a brain fade  at a stoppage.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #13
Watching Melbourne against Geelong was an almost better side than when they won the last flag. Hard to find a weak link. If our pressure is just slightly off for a short period and if we continue to bomb long expecting talls to take a mark by chance, we will be given a lesson in how to lose another match.
who Melbourne or Geelong?  Had Cameron kicked like last week Geelong would have won.

What Melbourne didn't do is attack the ball carrier leaving players free in defensive 50.  They worked backwards to cover options which artificially creates panic and makes players kick longer to a contest.

We didn't change this against Geelong until it was far too late, and paid dearly for it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
who Melbourne or Geelong?  Had Cameron kicked like last week Geelong would have won.

What Melbourne didn't do is attack the ball carrier leaving players free in defensive 50.  They worked backwards to cover options which artificially creates panic and makes players kick longer to a contest.

We didn't change this against Geelong until it was far too late, and paid dearly for it.
Lever and May will just gobble up our bombs into the fwd line.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th