Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 38962 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
Tonight was an opportunity for a lot of players to stand up and prove themselves but wow were we terrible!
At least I can happily get over the fact that players like Lucas and a lot of others are gone and be happy they are because they lack ticker and desire. We have a lot of players who cant make an impact. I cant believe players can sit there and watch Murphy get belted from pillar to post and not one player flew the flag in any way again. Without alot of list changes we will finish bottom 4 next year again we have too many players who can run with players but heaven help us if they win the ball they are counter productive.
I have only posted once before and was shot down in flames when I said Gibbs should be captain and I tell you now and I don't have the privilege of being able to go to every game but he is by far our best option and our best player not to mention someone who gives a crap about the club.

Reply #46
Tonight was an opportunity for a lot of players to stand up and prove themselves but wow were we terrible!
At least I can happily get over the fact that players like Lucas and a lot of others are gone and be happy they are because they lack ticker and desire. We have a lot of players who cant make an impact. I cant believe players can sit there and watch Murphy get belted from pillar to post and not one player flew the flag in any way again. Without alot of list changes we will finish bottom 4 next year again we have too many players who can run with players but heaven help us if they win the ball they are counter productive.
I have only posted once before and was shot down in flames when I said Gibbs should be captain and I tell you now and I don't have the priviledge of being able to go to every game but he is by far our best option and our best player not to mention someone who gives a crap about the club.

Good stuff Soffo !!!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #47
I have only posted once before and was shot down in flames

Mate don't let that stop you from posting. You had the strength of your convictions to post what you believed and the overwhelming majority of posters on here would respect that. We all cop a bit from time to time but the forum rules ensure it's nothing personal and in reality it isn't. If you love Carlton as we all do please participate in this forum because we'd love to have you here. :)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #48

You raise a good point on counter productivity. Sometimes it seems they can either be good with the ball or good off the ball but not both.

Reply #49
@soffo

Love your work mate but I thought Gibbs first two chances to win the ball showed where the team's mindset was last night, simply did not want it.

Senior players need to be held accountable, Carrazzo, Judd, Gibbs, Murphy (until injured), Simpson, Yarran, Curnow, these blokes all stunk it up badly. Yarran especially took two steps back tonight, just did not want to be out there and that is just so disappointing.

Rowe deserves a medal, I criticised him a little last week saying a mans gots to know his limitations but he was just awesome. We could have lost by 150 points without him. Not really sure who else I can give votes to TBH.

The only thing to consider is that we played the last 40 minutes of last week with one fit player on the bench so I guess we were a little flat. I can accept this as long as we do our best to derail the scum next week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #50
A bit shattered.
I've been trying to think of things to write.
Can't think of much..... it was bad really bad.
It's pretty simple though......

no desire+ no commitment+playing young and injured players=total  destruction.

Mick probably summed it up best, albeit months ago.......

I pray it's a one-off. If that's the sort of stuff we're going to dish up, it's a miserable year in front of us. I am loath to think that we could actually dish that up again,"

Reply #51
Yes Lods, there's not much to say. Terrible, terrible performance against a team that hit some red hot form. The only positives were Rowe and Gibbs.

Probably one of our biggest weaknesses is defending against elite small forwards. Port got 10 goals from Gray, Wingard and Neade. Let's look at our current small defenders:

-Tuohy: has gone backwards this year. Leaks goals.
-Yarran: more of a offensive defender than a lockdown player.
-Walker: same as Yarran.
-Simpson: same as Yarran.
-Docherty: Developing - may turn out to be very good. ATM, probably more offensive than a real lockdown role.
-Sheehan: Developing, but could turn out to be very good.
-Holman: First game, so who knows?
-Armfield: Not really used there this year  (little senior game time due to indifferent form and injuries). Could handle speedy fwds, but not small fwds who are good overhead like jamie Elliott.

I'm not saying this is the main reason why we lost last night, just highlighting one of our big weakness in our playing list.

Reply #52
That's 8 from 40, or 20% of our list that would struggle to be considered 'solid' in the defensive roles they primarily play.... strewth our list has some issues.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #53
It was fantastic to see many of our players crashing into Crowley a few weeks ago to help Murphy out. What happened to this mindset last night? Soffo, is spot on about our players not standing up for Murphy against Port - pathetic!  Our intensity of previous weeks didn't happen last night and instead we displayed an extremely embarrassing lack of effort.

Reply #54
Let's get away from the train wreck of last night and start thinking about next week.  We need more pace and zip and some forward options.  My wish list;

I want Touhy played higher up the ground eg on a wing because his defensive positioning is currently embarrassing.
I want more forward options - maybe Garlett, and even Armfield for general run (gulp!).  I'd even be tempted to play Watson (bigger gulp) as a deep fwd option to give us something to kick to.
I'd be tempted to give Cripps a run as well.

...and be prepared for a fight, the scum will try to ppund us.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #55
I didn't really care about the game and obviously the team didn't either. Next week is a different story.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #56
That's 8 from 40, or 20% of our list that would struggle to be considered 'solid' in the defensive roles they primarily play.... strewth our list has some issues.

Yep, big worry Professer.

Reply #57
We just don't have the depth of talent especially in the midfield. We can play out of our skins for couple of weeks, hold our own with the Cats, but we just can't keep it going every week. We just don't have the depth to do that and we just blow up, witness last night.

If we are not very busy at the trade table and very wise with our drafting this pain will continue. We all like roller coasters don't we?

@Soffo
Good post Soffo, would be good to hear more from you.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #58
I didn't really care about the game and obviously the team didn't either. Next week is a different story.

It's quite conceivable that I'm dumb as dogsh*t, but I just don't understand. Your personal feelings are what they are, but I don't think our team is in any position to pick and choose the games that they will be interested in. Yes, it's been a long season, but it's been long for all teams, not just us. Youngsters or oldsters, first gamers or last gamers, the effort and care that you put in should be the same. To me last night feels like the undoing of several weeks of decent effort. Extremely disheartened.

One of the things that bugged me about Ratts was that he subscribed to the whole tribal/territorial mentality, that a win over "the arch enemy" somehow has more value or tastes sweeter than other victories. Malthouse, to his credit, doesn't buy into this idea, believing that it belongs to the old VFL days, and has no place in a national competition. Thank God for Mick.

Reply #59
I have only posted once before and was shot down in flames when I said Gibbs should be captain and I tell you now and I don't have the privilege of being able to go to every game but he is by far our best option and our best player not to mention someone who gives a crap about the club.
Slightly harsh on Murph there Soffo but I respect your opinion. I wasnt a big fan on him as captain but I think he has grown into the role and is starting to show a fair bit. I also trust the judgement of the coach after hearing him speak on various occasions about Murph. As for the fact he gets belted out on the ground and no one does anything about it? Thats just an utter disgrace and and not a reflection on Murph but rather his piss weak team mates. Not talking about the incident where he was concussed as that was an accident (even though it was a terrible kick to him) resulting from him hitting his head on the ground. But earlier, he was bumped and knocked over after his turnover resulted in a goal and not one team mate did a forking thing about it. My blood boiled to the point where I almost passed out. It happened against the Cheating Scum earlier in the year on the boundary line when that young pr!ck bumped him and chested him and same thing, team mates did nothing. The day these blokes start showing some ticker and passion is the day I will start getting interested again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time