Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 38977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #60
@soffo

Love your work mate but I thought Gibbs first two chances to win the ball showed where the team's mindset was last night, simply did not want it.

Senior players need to be held accountable, Carrazzo, Judd, Gibbs, Murphy (until injured), Simpson, Yarran, Curnow, these blokes all stunk it up badly. Yarran especially took two steps back tonight, just did not want to be out there and that is just so disappointing.

Rowe deserves a medal, I criticised him a little last week saying a mans gots to know his limitations but he was just awesome. We could have lost by 150 points without him. Not really sure who else I can give votes to TBH.

The only thing to consider is that we played the last 40 minutes of last week with one fit player on the bench so I guess we were a little flat. I can accept this as long as we do our best to derail the scum next week.
Good summation Carrots.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
Yep - very disappointing to see them reverting back to some bad habits last night.

I really want to believe that we've turned a corner. The boys are making that extremely difficult to believe after last night's effort.

Reply #62
Yep - very disappointing to see them reverting back to some bad habits last night.

I really want to believe that we've turned a corner. The boys are making that extremely difficult to believe after last night's effort.
We just have zero consistency, its a roller coaster. I'm telling you we will give the Cheating Scum a hiding next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #63
Made the journey across last night and leaving the disaster that was a football match aside, the Adelaide Oval is an incredible venue when packed last night. The makeover has been incredible.

Also the PA marketing gurus are on a winner with the 45 sec 'Never Tear Us Apart' just before the bounce. It had a real Liverpool feel with 50000 scarves being held up and everyone singing.  Brilliant marketing coup. (We could have used it 12 years ago!)

Too many boys sent to do a man's job last night.  They were spent all over the ground. Nothing in the legs and mentally let down by the close call last week and nothing to play for.

With a full list and a few tops us, we are better than that.

Reply #64
I want Tuohy played higher up the ground eg on a wing because his defensive positioning is currently embarrassing.

It's true.  Ours is a unique game with many nuances, subtleties and "grey areas".  He first played the game at 20. Can't possibly be expected to have the same feel for the game as someone who started in the under 10's and attended/watched games growing up.  The goal they got with 4 seconds to go (2nd q?) was because he was caught out of position.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #65
Tonight was an opportunity for a lot of players to stand up and prove themselves but wow were we terrible!
At least I can happily get over the fact that players like Lucas and a lot of others are gone and be happy they are because they lack ticker and desire. We have a lot of players who cant make an impact. I cant believe players can sit there and watch Murphy get belted from pillar to post and not one player flew the flag in any way again. Without alot of list changes we will finish bottom 4 next year again we have too many players who can run with players but heaven help us if they win the ball they are counter productive.
I have only posted once before and was shot down in flames when I said Gibbs should be captain and I tell you now and I don't have the privilege of being able to go to every game but he is by far our best option and our best player not to mention someone who gives a crap about the club.

Not only did we get belted physically, at one stage I saw Docherty (I think) help a Port player to his feet by pulling him up by the jumper.
I'm all for sportsmanship but gee whizz we lack mongrel. 
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #66
I was interested during last night's commentary when Duck was asked about who we might be looking at delisting. I think his comments are normally OK but he mentioned Wood and Bell. Bell is borderline yes, but Wood was certainly not one I'd have picked out. I thought Duck must have got the name wrong?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
The duck made the comment after Wood spilt a mark which cost a goal.  Wayne is particularly critical of players that make what he deems to be basic errors.  I thought his comment was on the arrogant side as Wood worked hard to get into a position to mark.  Harley was another that opined that as a mature player, Wood keeps making critical errors.

Bell was deadest awful all night, couldn't get involved..  Looked slow, lacking in mobility, clumsy and skill deficient last night.... along with about 15 others.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #68
Im sorry but loooking at our list we are deplorable in the mid-depth dept, genuine mids that is, who have mongrel, poise and skill.

-Bell
-McLean
-Ellard
-Carrazzo
-Robinson
-Curnow
-Cachia
-Armfield
-Lucas
-Temay

That is 10 AFL Carlton listed footballers who are ball carriers, flankers, mids, whatever you want to call them. Skills are woeful. It's embarrassing!

Then you have guys like - McInnes, Watson, Warnock. Give us zero!!

Then there is a half-backer in Walker coughing up the ball time and time again. Turn-over merchant. Play him forward or trade him!

Casboult and Waite ordinary kicks for goal - kick ands hope types. Got strengths such as marking but really are not the be all and end all. Waite should be let go IMO. Casboult I'd rather keep than let go but I don't want us couhging up overs for him. Fair but not bent over ala past years and contracts!

Then there's - Duigan (gone), Bootsma (gone), Scotland (gone).

We are playing with half a list IMO, it's a park team/list!

Reply #69
@Pratty

Mate the picture you paint is dismal but unfortunately all too accurate! Our recruiters certainly have the job ahead of 'em.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #70
On the bright side I reckon we have done well with what we have, considering that only about half the list are up to scratch.

Even if we cull 10-12 this year I doubt we can be weaker than this season... I suspect that kids and state leaguers will give us more than many on Pratty's  list.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #71
Tonight was an opportunity for a lot of players to stand up and prove themselves but wow were we terrible!
At least I can happily get over the fact that players like Lucas and a lot of others are gone and be happy they are because they lack ticker and desire. We have a lot of players who cant make an impact. I cant believe players can sit there and watch Murphy get belted from pillar to post and not one player flew the flag in any way again. Without alot of list changes we will finish bottom 4 next year again we have too many players who can run with players but heaven help us if they win the ball they are counter productive.
I have only posted once before and was shot down in flames when I said Gibbs should be captain and I tell you now and I don't have the privilege of being able to go to every game but he is by far our best option and our best player not to mention someone who gives a crap about the club.

I'm not saying sack Murph, but this isn't such a stupid idea. I was really impressed with just how much determination and hurt I saw on Gibbs face at times last night during the game. He was showing that he really cared. Something I can't say for too many of his team mates.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #72
Easy and understandable to be gloomy re our prospects... especially when weighed up against that insipid effort last night. Really don't like hearing MM saying our boys have been 'up' for so long that they are now tired  :o  Last night's performance makes the 'rubicon' comment seem fanciful.

But I'm not as pessimistic as some. On the positive side we know exactly where we are - ordinary with moments of real endeavour and fierce competitiveness... and moments of being downright catatonic.

North Bogansville targetted our few leaders / play makers from the get-go last night, and we wilted.

But you put Walker, Thomas, Everitt, Henderson and Cripps (and maybe even Jeffy) in that side and we look much better. It would mean there'd be no Johnson, Holman, Meat (desperately needs a rest), Lucas, Graham ... but the up side is that we have gotten games into/taste Holman, Johnson, Graham, Sheehan etc. Get a pre season into these cats and things begin to look better.

But we definitely, still, have too many passengers - if after 5 years in the system Meat still can't see out a season... well  :o , Ellard, Lucas, Warnock, Watson, McLean, Temay, Armfield & McInnes should be the blokes finding a new home. I would add, possibly, Meat and / Waite to that list as well. Another 25% turnover. Should we recruit this year as well or better than last year (should aim for better), then our list will really begin to take shape and I reckon we'd improve strongly on this year... and that could mean anything (in terms of ladder position improvement).

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #73
I don't really care about that loss to be honest. Nothing to gain from it and once they got on top early, you could just about spot the moment we threw in the towel.

I thought the loss to Essendon and possibly Melbourne were worse.

I liken it to Geelong losing to Sydney by 110 points in round 11 at nearly full strength. (I hope it's a one-off anyway)

Reply #74
@Pratty

Mate the picture you paint is dismal but unfortunately all too accurate! Our recruiters certainly have the job ahead of 'em.
Yes I know he is only a kid in his first year but Cripps was uninspiring in the 2's today. Granted he had plenty of mates as the 2's put up the same performance as the 1's today. I expected more from him given he is touted as having excellent leadership skills.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th