Skip to main content
Topic: Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread (Read 37080 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread

Reply #45
More contested possessions
More clearances
More shots on goal
and perhaps most importantly
More intensity!

Can't be too pissed off with the results today, even if those stats show that we should've won.
6.11 in the 2nd half cost us 4 points.

Nobody in particular to blame, everyone missed goals they should've kicked.

Come on Sav, do your thing.

Reply #46
Best game so far this year.

Does anyone else here know how to "play the percentages" on a football field?
From what I could see, it would seem our players have never heard of the term.

Turnovers are an issue, so is inaccuracy in front of goal, we have plenty of things to work on. But what frustrates me the most is the lack of defensive pressure when we don't have the ball. That 2nd qtr was just embarrassing.

I liked Armfields game, Ellard gives us nothing. 'Casey' had a good 1st game.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #47
Seen nothing but absolutely rapt to hear Yarran smacked Chapman!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #48
Man, today showed how much our game plan hurts us. We absolutely obliterated them in getting the ball out but once out it space we still have absolutely zero idea about how to create space or what to do with it.

Add to that the long bomb to 3 guys on one, usually to someone like Ellard and it's just frustrating because the coaches are not helping the players out. Good way to tank, I hope this is the case.

Jones showed a bit, Murphy coming good.

Gibbs has probably cost himself a week and God knows what Yarran will get. So next week is looking ugly.

We apparently had 4 or 5 0-3 starts to the year in our history prior to 2013, Pago owning one of them. Mick has managed to do a three-peat.

Reply #49
Big game for Mick next week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
I reckon we need to:
1. Never play Curnow and Carrazzo in the same side ever again.
2. Get some more midfield grunt in there (Whiley, Boekhurst, Johnson, Graham etc)
3. We need to open up with fwd line, its just fair too crowded. We need to Lachie and/or Jones one out more often, they will draw free kicks. The crowded chaos is masking the infringements on our fwds.

Reply #55
Seen nothing but absolutely rapt to hear Yarran smacked Chapman!

Only last week I was told by someone that Yarran is the best boxer at the club lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #56
Only last week I was told by someone that Yarran is the best boxer at the club lol.

mbb, were you at the game ? If so, any thoughts ?

Reply #57
Henderson was scragged all day - no "blocking"  or "chopping"  frees at our end, funny about that.  I'd play Walker at CHF and Jones on a wing... because he has zero idea where to run as a forward and looks better running with the ball in open play.  Lost count of the amount of times he ran to where Henderson was and pulled his opponent to the contest, which made life bloody hard for Henderson with the second opponent over the top.  Henderson looked very proppy at the end which is a worry.  I don't know who our forward coach is but he needs to work on the leading patterns because Jones seems to want to run to where others are all the time instead of leading to locations from whence he can score. Its called separation guys.

Cripps is exactly as noted by NB followers - smart hands and nous inside but kicking is iffy.  Had the chance to really hurt the scum on the scoreboard today.

Wood battled manfully -gets no help from the maggots and constantly scragged -  coupled with some smart inside work it is a shame that we couldn't capitalise on this work as we have no outside run.

Thought Armfield gave us a bit of run and effort which we have been sorely lacking.

Smaller defenders did better under pressure and Rowe, although still average, showed some glimpses today.  The way the ball came in at time it was hard being a defender today.

Murphy a lot better but possessions not hurting sides.  Gibbs was excremental and he is rushing his kicks.

Was pleased to see Yazz stand up for himself and the boys made sure Goddard received plenty of treatment.  There are some smart asses in that side who clearly need taking down a notch - a lot of sly stuff today, but you'd expect it from the juicers.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #58
We can't continue to play Curnow and Carrazzo to play in the same team..... IMO
Not unless their form improves. They are important players for our midfield structure, but neither is near their best just at the moment. Curnow has been ordinary now for weeks. Carrots hasn't been able to shut guys down as well at the moment, but he is getting quite a few clearances. His form is considerably better than Curnow's at the moment.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #59
mbb, were you at the game ? If so, any thoughts ?

I thought Walker and Armfield brought more run and Cripps was good in the middle. Still need more pace as the bombers killed us on the outside.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!