Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 33191 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #75
For a long  time we've relied on too few and if they didn't play well we would either get thumped or simply lose  games that we possibly should have won.

I couldn't care less that Gibbs wasn't as good today, because it didn't matter.  Others picked up the slack and we won easily, although packed up and went home a bit early - would  have been nice to have a 10 goal win.

After Robbo's effort on Cas, followed by Cas' retaliation,  I thought the last 5 minutes could get quite messy.  While the retaliation was undisciplined, I thought it was great to see a big unit put physical pressure on.

Re: Rd 11: Post Game ________: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #76
Firstly, Shakin, I am entitled to my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion, as are the coaches.

Before this round he was top 5 in the coaches votes for the year i believe, on something like 39 points (max 10 per game).

Reckon he's played more than 1 good game this year.

The rest of your post may well be true, but has nothing to do with your original comments.

Reply #77
Great team effort, albeit sloppy at times. What was even better was we did it without Gibbs and Kreuze having an impact, and no Murphy.

The lions pressure in the first quarter was top notch, but they couldn't sustain it nor convert on the scoreboard.

Rockliff amazes me with how ineffectual he was, Bell and Robbo didn't do much, which pleased me.

Weitering, take a bow son.

Kerridge, Cripps and Curnow really worked hard today

Den Den is playing some great footy

The luck of the irish in 2E and Byrne really impress me.

Gorringe getting better each week, bit early to call but i'd like to think he could be that Blicavs type midfielder for us.

Our back six is the best I've seen in a long while

Nicky G laid 7 tackles and went at 81% eff, will be better for the run

Walkers 3 behinds from i50 is not good enough

Thomas was quiet

bad Everitt showed up this week, hope good Everitt shows up next week

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Lamb. 3 goals 0 behinds, getting better every week

Rowe is being thrown around a bit, and adapts. Is best on the gorillas or resting ruck

Cas wasnt sighted much.

Like i said really pleasing we won without MK, Gibbs and Murph and little output from Cas and Everitt

We are in Richmond's spot  :P

Go Baggers

Reply #78
I expected to see much more joy in this thread. It was our biggest win of the year, the win put us to more wins than losses for the first time in over 3 years and we did it with out Murph and missing Kruezer for half the game. For me this was a very good win.

Weitering - He been very good all year long, but when he's in a forward line with kids his own age and experience JW looked a few levels above. I cannot wait until he's got 50 games under his belt, just imagining what he can do with experience.

Gorringe - Second game in a row he's done some very good things. Apart from being an athlete he has great hands, give a nice little handball to advantage and set up 3-4 running plays by doing so. He's no star in the ruck, but he seems to have strength in his wrist (keep it clean) and is able to tap to all areas of the clock, just a few kilos light. Kicks well, snap around the corner aside and his mark over the top of Casboult looked fantastic. He's is only 23/24 from memory so he's got a big upside. While I don't expect him to be a starting ruck, as a forward/ruck he could be just what we're looking for.

Docherty - Always liked Sam, has good wheels, good skills and now it seems like a switched has been flicked and he owns the game as well. Future captain.

Byrne - This man could be the best Irish player ever. I'd like to see him lose a kilo or two just to make him even faster. Again looking ahead with a half back line of Docherty, Weitering and Byrne for the next 10 years, with Plowman (who had a stinker) and getting those "shared games" into this group, it could almost be a Geelong type backline.

Lamb - Best game in Navy Blue, pressure, goals, and some attitude to go along with it. Kicks nicely to a forwards advantage too, although he seems to be fixated on getting the ball to Walker.

Armfield - I just love watching an uninjured Dennis go about it, pace, hardness and pressure. Sure he's not the most skilled guy in the world, but ask Menzel how his skills are working out for him, without the drive and determination.

Cripps - You can tell he's not right and he's still delivering that type of a game, again crystal ball to 2018 and look out AFL.

Have to agree with Brettie the umpiring was woeful and it might end up costing Casboult a week for his hit on Robbo. If the previous hit from Robbo had been paid as it should of then that never would have happened.

While talking hits, how good was Walkers hip and shoulder on Christiansen?

Reply #79
I think the relative restraint being shown on here is down to the fact that we scarcely can believe what's been happening and we don't want to break the magic spell!

From what I've been seeing, and you can pick holes if you want, I'm cautiously optimistic and can't wait for the next installment of this fascinating story. BB certainly looks to be ushering in a new era at our club but shshsh!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #80

Gorringe - Second game in a row he's done some very good things. Apart from being an athlete he has great hands, give a nice little handball to advantage and set up 3-4 running plays by doing so. He's no star in the ruck, but he seems to have strength in his wrist (keep it clean) and is able to tap to all areas of the clock, just a few kilos light. Kicks well, snap around the corner aside and his mark over the top of Casboult looked fantastic. He's is only 23/24 from memory so he's got a big upside. While I don't expect him to be a starting ruck, as a forward/ruck he could be just what we're looking for.

Can Gorringe play the type of role Blicavs does at Geelong?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #81
I expected to see much more joy in this thread. It was our biggest win of the year, the win put us to more wins than losses for the first time in over 3 years and we did it with out Murph and missing Kruezer for half the game. For me this was a very good win.

The lions outscored us in the second half. When our percentage is as low as it is, we need to put these terrible sides away. We had the final margin on them in the 1st quarter and couldn't go on with in.

We were sloppy.

Had we played like that last week, we would've lost.

Happy to get the win, but hardly a win to b ecstatic about.

Reply #82
The lions outscored us in the second half. When our percentage is as low as it is, we need to put these terrible sides away. We had the final margin on them in the 1st quarter and couldn't go on with in.

We were sloppy.

We were a bit sloppy at times I agree, and I hate to say it but one of the offenders here was one of last week's heroes in Sammy Docherty, among a number of others,  who made plenty of mistakes from what I saw. But I will cut some slack since the Lions were always under control and last week's efforts were mighty and obviously took a fair bit out of us. The test will be to see if we can bounce back next week and give the Saints a seeing-to.

Reply #83
Tough crowd to please on here, I'm ecstatic about every win these days, I love this winning caper, don't care how we get em ATM.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
Tough crowd to please on here, I'm ecstatic about every win these days, I love this winning caper, don't care how we get em ATM.

Yes, given where we started from in the pre season, given all the changes, predictions etc., any win is a good win. This particular win wasn't pretty, it wasn't convincing, but it was good.

Reply #85

Don't get me wrong GTC, I was VERY happy with the win!  :)

Reply #86
What was wrong with Plowmans game?

He has not missed a beat since he came in the side, makes good decisions, plays above his size and another calm head back there.

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #87
Was a good win, and since we were expected to win we usually fall over.

The back line looks great with Doullherty, Plowby (Southby) and Weiters plus the others looks soooo settled.

Love the way we transition the ball, run in waves AND spot up a leading forward instead of bombing it. A leading forward? who would've thought it would've worked?

On the Cas bump (and that is all it was) on Robbo (Robbo was Robbo-ed LOL) I think Bolton would've given Cas a big pat on the back.
The days of pushing around and cheap shotting a Carlton player are over. >:D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #88

We were sloppy.

After last year, I get ecstatic about any win :)

Yes, we were outscored in the second half . . . by one point!  And some very dubious umpiring decisions cost us goals and gifted goals to Brisbane. 

I didn't see much of the Brisbane-Hawthorn game but they matched the Hawks for three quarters on the scoreboard.  We blew them away in the first quarter.  Did Brisbane play that inexplicable "retain possession at all costs" game against Hawthorn?

I thought we were sloppy in the first quarter (how many times did we have kicks smothered?) but improved as the game went on.

Robbo did well as a tagger and can add Gibbs' scalp to that of Mitchell's from last week.  It was interesting that Bolton had Gibbs in defence for a while, presumably to get Robbo out of the game.

We missed a few shots, a couple of players were down, Kreuzer's second half absence hurt, but the positives far outweighed the negatives.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #89
Another pleasing win despite not being as sharp but that will happen. Have to remember that the Lions only really constructed a couple of their goals and the rest were hacks off the ground and 50 metre penalties.

As long as we are showing signs every week I am happy. Some of the end to end stuff we engineered was great, Gorringe taking some grabs and doing some nice things. Kerridge stepping up when needed etc.