Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 34967 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game ________: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #45
I think the reality check was more for we supporters, the media and some of our players. Reckon BB and the coaching staff know exactly where we are at.

Some of our blokes in the first quarter thought they were movie stars and the overuse/finessing began... very undisciplined and some just weren't willing to work and hurt.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Players were rooted before they even got on the park.

No running to tackle - why ? Because they were stuffed

No running to create options when in possession - why ? Because they were stuffed

No running into F50 - why ? Because they were stuffed

No chasing players like Jack Steven - why ? Because they were stuffed

Defensive structure in the back half failing - why ? Because they were stuffed

I don't think they got big heads at all.

Yep.

I don't imagine any of these guys wearing leopard skin speedos in their spa while smoking a cigar because they've won a few games.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #47
Players were rooted before they even got on the park.

No running to tackle - why ? Because they were stuffed

No running to create options when in possession - why ? Because they were stuffed

No running into F50 - why ? Because they were stuffed

No chasing players like Jack Steven - why ? Because they were stuffed

Defensive structure in the back half failing - why ? Because they were stuffed

I don't think they got big heads at all.

Yep.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #48
We wouldn't have won a game all year if we played the way we played today.

Wouldn't have beaten an u/15 girls' team.....

The Carlton of old returned - couple of wins our lads get ahead of themselves.

Bolton well outcoached too....they flooded, flooded and flooded - and nothing was done to counter it....

Awesome post flyboy - especially in regards to the flooding......Saints weren't trying to win the game early, just stop the damage, then we fell into the trap of messing around with the ball too much, gave them easy possession, they got themselves some easy goals as result, then the floodgates opened with the centre clearances. Yep, arguably Bolton's poorest performance thus far in the coaches box....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #49
It was Ed's 100th. Would've bee nice to get a win for him.

Well - when your opponent played arguably his best ever game, I'd say Ed was one of the major reasons we lost.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #50
Peeeoooowweeee what a stinker.
If Bolton didn't put in a shocker then his staff let him down badly.
Stevens cuts us up every time and more thought should have been put into stopping him. Saints worked Weitering over nicely leaving him in no-man's land numerous times.
They got 3 goals in the last 3 minutes of the 1st q and that was pretty much the end of it as a contest.

I'm not really understanding the debate about Kruezer ruck partnerships but I do know that when we don't have our A-team in the centre the opposition extracts the ball with ridiculous ease.

I hate losing to losers.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #51
Prepare for a pants down thrashing in a fortnight against GWS!  >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #52

Robert Heatley Stand / Re: Rd 12: Pre game Prophecies: Carlton vs St. Kilda
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
I can see the Aints speedsters pulling our pants down next week :o

Told ya's....nah nah nah nah :P

Reply #53
That performance reeked of a team that was stuffed and playing for the bye. It started in the last half of last week.

The boys need to rest up because we have some tough games coming up.

Reply #54
Robert Heatley Stand / Re: Rd 12: Pre game Prophecies: Carlton vs St. Kilda
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
I can see the Aints speedsters pulling our pants down next week :o

Told ya's....nah nah nah nah :P

What do you want?
A medal or a chest to hang it on?  :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #55
Well - when your opponent played arguably his best ever game, I'd say Ed was one of the major reasons we lost.....

I don't watch St Kilda enough to know whether or not it was his best game - Curnow's been in terrific form this season, but like most of his teammates. just couldn't get out of first gear tonight.

Reply #56
One of those games you have when you're a struggling side trying to improve.
At least the boys kept at it until the bell but it's best to put that one behind us and look forward.
Gorringe might make a forward one day but he won't be a ruckman.
I guess we can't complain too much. We've been 'up' for a while. But I was disappointed today. For the first time this year we were out-thought. St. Kilda were ready for our tricks and didn't let them work. Then they beat us where we are most vulnerable: in the centre square and in our forward line. They used our structural deficiencies against us very well.

Today we needed a proper 2nd ruckman, as Kreuzer was being beaten. We didn't have one. Gorringe couldn't do the job. Phillips was needed. He should be back in next time we play.
We were thrashed in the middle: our structures didn't work today and St. Kilda got enough drive from the centre square. We can't do that against teams and hope to win. We could barely handle it last week against Brisbane.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57
Coach didnt do any favours for Ed Curnow....Jack Steven was never the right opponent for him....took way too long to move Ed off him.
In fact I thought Bolton had a poor day at the office along with his assistants especially the one responsible for our centre square work...Saints had the winning ruck yet our blokes were set up like we had the advantage..Steven just ran onto taps and outpaced our players.
But thats footy and you have your off days and we probably went in complacent..didnt think we played well last week and we were probably ripe to be knocked over...

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #58
Not surprised by the loss, felt like we've gotten out of jail a few times and the boys looked spent the past few weeks.

Still am very happy with the year to date, they've exceeded my expectations in every way and I'm still proud of them (disclaimer - I haven't seen any of the Saints game!)

Refresh during the bye and have more growth in the second half of the year, that's all I ask.

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #59
There was only one real opponent that J Steven should've had, and that is Armfield.

After having some time to reflect it was plain for all and sundry to see, too cute with the footy.

Over-possessing the pill just allowed the saints to close up space defensively and smash us on the rebound.

Honestly i reckon Cripps goes 3rd man up too often, if its effective more often than not im all for it but its 50/50 at best and leaves us a man down on the ground around the stoppage.

Sharking Hickeys taps was a must, didn't happen

Weitering should've been our 7th man in defence, not on Membrey whom i rate highly. The Irish boys were the perfect match up for him.

Our team structure/defence fell down, which meant our backs were inundated.

Kreuze has lost the ability to jump over opponents which wasn't his strength anyway but he mistimes a lot of jumps. He's great around the ground but he struggled against Hickey yesterday

We looked really bad yesterday, got beaten by a bunch of no names apart from Steven and Membrey.