Kade Simpson
[ 34 ] (52.3%)
Andrew Carrazzo
[ 3 ] (4.6%)
Other
[ 11 ] (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 14, 2013, 01:34:16 pm

Topic: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain (Read 23255 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Poll added: Marc Murphy should not be captain

Reply #30
Interesting that Simmo is leading the poll  :o  For the first half of the season a significant number of posters wanted him banished to the NBs.

I think Murphy has been OK and will improve with experience.

I agree DJC.   Seems to be the only requirement to be a good leader is that you are playing good football.

Heath Shaw, Pendlebury often address the players.  Nick Maxwell is a great captain?   Yet Simmo addressing the players reflects badly on Murphy's captaincy.  Go figure.

Murphy has been a leader since his TAC cup days and will develop into a quality captain.   His biggest problem at the moment is he is struggle on field.

Reply #31
No point trying to 'craft' Murphy (or Hendo/Kruezer for that matter) into a leader. Let's try a left field appointment similar to Sticks in '86. Charlie Dixon appeals as a charismatic warrior...capable of imposing himself in a variety of roles.

Roughead-like in stature and mobility, he has courage in bucketloads and a 10+ year career ahead of him.

Dixon would be the pillar to plug the Centre-half forward post, allowing Hendo to patrol the flanks exclusively. Is a proven goal kicker, has great hands and most importantly has the brilliance to split a game wide open. Gets the odd injury, but from what I've seen he recovers quickly asserts himself immediately on the scoresheet 'first up' on his return.

It's imperative that Carlton trades for a quality dominant marking target during the off-season, particularly given Casboult is not top shelf.

I'd like to see Mick get this guy in and size him up for the captaincy. He might not be affordable in a year or two when he becomes the focal point of the Suns finals aspirations.

Reply #32
Interesting that Simmo is leading the poll  :o  For the first half of the season a significant number of posters wanted him banished to the NBs.

I agree DJC.   Seems to be the only requirement to be a good leader is that you are playing good football.

Heath Shaw, Pendlebury often address the players.  Nick Maxwell is a great captain?   Yet Simmo addressing the players reflects badly on Murphy's captaincy.  Go figure.

Murphy has been a leader since his TAC cup days and will develop into a quality captain.   His biggest problem at the moment is he is struggle on field.

Maxwell is a premiership captain and respected much in the same way Tom Harley was....both just joe average players but able to talk to all groups in their respective club wether it be the A graders, battlers and kids and thats why they got the job.

We selected our captain in a farcical manner....leading Carrazzo along that he was going to get the job, including Duigan who can even get a game in the selection mix and then played a series of preseason games to see who did the job best after rotating between the three candidates....very professional...not.

Murphy got the job purely based on the fact he is considered the best marquee player at the club and would sell more memberships IMO...at Carlton we dont tend to give Joe average players the captains role....
Murphy may grow in to the role...but he has a lot of growing to day as he isnt close at  the moment IMO...
His opposite number in Watson despite the situation at Essendon, booing from the crowd, rallied his players and was an effective player himself and Murphy has to do more as a leader and cope with tagging like the other star players/captains do...

Reply #33

How long will it take him to develop into a quality captain. He hasn't got that much time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34

Maxwell is a premiership captain and respected much in the same way Tom Harley was....both just joe average players but able to talk to all groups in their respective club wether it be the A graders, battlers and kids and thats why they got the job.

We selected our captain in a farcical manner....leading Carrazzo along that he was going to get the job, including Duigan who can even get a game in the selection mix and then played a series of preseason games to see who did the job best after rotating between the three candidates....very professional...not.

Murphy got the job purely based on the fact he is considered the best marquee player at the club and would sell more memberships IMO...at Carlton we dont tend to give Joe average players the captains role....
Murphy may grow in to the role...but he has a lot of growing to day as he isnt close at  the moment IMO...
His opposite number in Watson despite the situation at Essendon, booing from the crowd, rallied his players and was an effective player himself and Murphy has to do more as a leader and cope with tagging like the other star players/captains do...

Gee that's bullcrap EB.   So much assumption and so much disrespect to Murphy and even Malthouse it's not funny.

To suggest that we give a bloke a million bucks a year to coach the club and turn it around and when he rocks up we say "the marketing team have picked Murphy as Captain" and then Malthouse says "ok, that's fine".   I mean give it the sniff test.   Mick the grumpiest, stubbornest old bastard you have ever seen and he is going to cop that???   Are we serious?   It just doesn't happen.

So this.

"Murphy got the job purely based on the fact he is considered the best marquee player at the club"

Is Rubbish.   So don't suggest it's fact.   At best it's a theory.

Reply #35
At the beginning of the year I was backing Carrots, but now that Murphy has the gig I'll back him in.

A bit more support from the leadership group and other senior players might help him a bit. Simpson has played great footy lately but there still seems to be a general lack of leadership within the whole playing group and IMO 6,7,8,10 players need to stand up and get behind Murphy and give him a bit of a hand.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #36
"Murphy got the job purely based on the fact he is considered the best marquee player at the club"

Is Rubbish.   So don't suggest it's fact.   At best it's a theory.

Why did he get the job then? Because he's the most talented player?

I reckon in hindsight ( it's a wonderful thing ) that Judd should have stayed on for one more season.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37
@Shakin

It's in Carlton's culture to pick their best player as captain. Pagan even stated as such.

To a lot of us, Murphy didn't seem like the best choice of captain from the outside and Murphy himself said he had a lot to do with regards to making his presence felt off the field (see his presser, I can't find you quotes ATM).

He isn't a total failure infront of a crowd for sponsorship gigs and the like but he isn't top notch, probably worse than average TBH.

I think Malthouse had a huge say in the selection. I don't for a second believe he is so unprofessional that he wouldn't form his own opinion but go exclusively with what others tell him.

It's more likely that he saw Murphy's achievements, was aware of his short-comings and believed he could work with him along with Simmo, Carrots and Judd to make up for those short-comings. I don't think he was ever going to be the best short-term option.

Now whether he is an old fool who had over-estimated his abilities, time will tell.

Reply #38
No point trying to 'craft' Murphy (or Hendo/Kruezer for that matter) into a leader. Let's try a left field appointment similar to Sticks in '86. Charlie Dixon appeals as a charismatic warrior...capable of imposing himself in a variety of roles.

Roughead-like in stature and mobility, he has courage in bucketloads and a 10+ year career ahead of him.

Dixon would be the pillar to plug the Centre-half forward post, allowing Hendo to patrol the flanks exclusively. Is a proven goal kicker, has great hands and most importantly has the brilliance to split a game wide open. Gets the odd injury, but from what I've seen he recovers quickly asserts himself immediately on the scoresheet 'first up' on his return.

It's imperative that Carlton trades for a quality dominant marking target during the off-season, particularly given Casboult is not top shelf.

I'd like to see Mick get this guy in and size him up for the captaincy. He might not be affordable in a year or two when he becomes the focal point of the Suns finals aspirations.

Great suggestion.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
I was torn between Henderson and Simpson.

Reply #40
@Shakin

It's in Carlton's culture to pick their best player as captain. Pagan even stated as such.

Not sure about this.   From my memory the playing list vote and then the Coach has the final say.
It may well be the best player and this may well because they share the attributes of a good captain.   I don't think Fevola would have ever been made captain.  

To a lot of us, Murphy didn't seem like the best choice of captain from the outside and Murphy himself said he had a lot to do with regards to making his presence felt off the field (see his presser, I can't find you quotes ATM).

Great point.   From the outside.  2 hours of football a weekend and a couple of pressers and we make judgements of his leadership?    If Murphy was getting 30 touches a game no one would give a stuffed about making his presence felt.   Just like Robert Harvey used to do.  At the moment he can't gut run.   The sooner he gets he knee operated on the better.

He isn't a total failure infront of a crowd for sponsorship gigs and the like but he isn't top notch, probably worse than average TBH.

Don't need to be captain to do any of this.   Judd, Gibbs have been doing this since they got to the club.  

I think Malthouse had a huge say in the selection. I don't for a second believe he is so unprofessional that he wouldn't form his own opinion but go exclusively with what others tell him.

Agree.

It's more likely that he saw Murphy's achievements, was aware of his short-comings and believed he could work with him along with Simmo, Carrots and Judd to make up for those short-comings. I don't think he was ever going to be the best short-term option.

Or, maybe he thought that he would be a good leader and would grow into the role?   Just a thought.

Now whether he is an old fool who had over-estimated his abilities, time will tell.

He has picked some pretty good captains in the past.   However this time I reckon he had a limited field.

Reply #41
I'll stick with Murphy.

Judd, Simpson and Carrazzo are past their Use By Date. Carrazzo and Judd already show signs of old man injuries. The idea of replacing Murphy with a 30 year old suggests some immediate short term hope for success, but I will go with a longer term outlook.

In my opinion Henderson is a bit of an introvert, he will go backwards if he is given the front of house job. He spends more time hiding from the media than wanting to talk to it and Simpson is similar.

The club captain isn't just about on field stuff anymore, you are an integral part of bringing in, dealing with and attracting sponsors. There is nobody else at CFC that is as good a long term choice as Murphy.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
we havent had a good captain at the club since whitnall

Reply #43
Im picking that Murph is probably captain material, and will prove everyone wrong.

On what basis?

Fundamentals of leadership:

Respect of your peers. tick

Hard trainer. tick

Respect of football world. Gets the number one tag every week = tick

Ability to turn a game. Has had this up until this year, however now he is getting the best tag rather than second best and has not been anywhere near his best form, yet still has shown that ability even if it was earlier this year= tick

Flies the flag for mates. - I can't agree with this.  Flying the flag is chest thumping for morons and is the exact sort of reaction that the antagonists want.

Won't be pushed around. - When the going gets tough, make the tough harder.  He can work through a tag, just not at the moment, and his running capability has not been there all season which makes it hard for him to "not be pushed around" when it comes down to it, he can beat a tag.  I would tick this you wouldnt. tick

Sets an example on field. He can and does.  You said it yourself, burrowed in trying to win some clearances and has gone out there within 2 weeks after fracturing a cheek bone and carrying a leg injury.  If he was a Bomber he would be "s0 Brave" tick

Great tackler and 1%s. tick - Earlier this season he led the stat for tackles on field until he hurt his leg.  I posted this for you in another topic.

Addresses teammates at breaks. tick - Ive seen him do it alot this season, sometimes someone else gets a chance to talk its part of the parcel of leadership.  Knowing when to let someone else have a say

Anyone wishing to add to what they expect of a captain feel free that's just a brief outline from me in terms of what I expect and what boxes I think Murphy ticks.

On the basis that captaincy has little to do with ticking boxes.

The relationships and the framework at the club are all in place, and need to be understood and respected.  Murphy may be the best person at the club in the playing group for the job, but from the outside looking in, we wouldnt know.

Captaining a side means being vocal in the task, and not necessarily speaking well in the public forum.  If he can help direct the troops on the park, then what does it matter whether or not he interviews well "on the couch".

Im backing our boy in to grow into the role.

Personally, I want all our boys to become leaders.  We all look for this charismatic, big brother figure of a captain who would decimate all in front of him, but in reality, few are built like that.  Realistically speaking the capacity to be a leader has less to do with attributes and more to do with character.  It cant be explained, but it can be nurtured and taught.  The willingness to accept responsibility, not only for your short comings, but for your teamates short comings, and the willingness to sacrifice yourself, your time and your energy in order to help them grow as people and footballers.  We cannot measure this through any amount of public speaking.  The stirring speeches, the tone of voice, all of it can be taught, memorised and then delivered by almost anyone.  Often the difference between delivering well and poorly is confidence.  Confidence in your message.  Fev was like this, he was a natural leader, but he lacked the ethics to do the job for the good of anyone but himself, and this made him a poor leader.  His leadership skills though, were good.  After all, many got lead a stray whilst he was at the club.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
How to earn the Crowley tag

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-08-13/how-to-earn-the-crowley-tag

Ryan Crowley has put his famous clamps on a number of AFL midfielders this season, but is there a direct correlation between the player Ross Lyon chooses to send his star tagger to and a key performance indicator?

Looking back through Crowley’s opponents this season, an argument can be made that Ross Lyon identifies midfielders who present the greatest danger entering their side’s attacking 50m zone as Crowley’s target.

Carlton’s Marc Murphy was kept well in check in round 19. He had the highest retain percentage and score success rate entering 50 out of Blues’ midfielders this season.

Put more simply, the Carlton captain finds his teammates with his kicks inside 50 more than the other Blues’ on-ballers, leading to scoreboard impact.

Thought this was interesting.