Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 35374 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 2: Post Game Postulations: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
Worrying signs are coming from the senior players, hack kicks, still don't kow how to kick to advantage, Murph hospital balls to teammates while the young guys are showing a bit.

Loved Rowe's game and Cripps', Macreadie is showing a bit and looks like there is something there. Like SPS and Pickett as well.

Reply #61
I don't understand why Gibbs and Murphy don't come under more scrutiny on here. I can understand young kids making bad skill errors but when your leaders are constantly doing it, what hope have we got. Some of Murphy's kicking and handballing was diabolical. First quarter we are on the attack with some quick handpassing and Murphy handballs it directly to a Dee 2 metres away. This is our Captain. And constantly picking the wrong option and handpassing to players who are tackled as soon as they receive it.
And we are behind with time running out and Gibbs kicks across field (instead of down field) and it was never going to get to it's target. Goal. That's another one of our leaders.
I get this year will be frustrating and I also get that the guys gave 100% today. But when our so called 'A Graders' are making these errors, it doesn't set much of an example for the kids to follow.
Armfield was disgraceful.
I think it was the kids and Simpson and Kruezer that kept us in that game.

With you JC....you can add E.Curnow to those players as well....turnovers at critical times too.....I'll add Docherty's non spoil of Garlett to that list too....Garlett being such a strong bodied marking machine...not.
Plowman played very well and being a young player I can forgive him but that missed tackle in the last 10 minutes was also a shocker...think it was Harmes who just waltzed through our blokes and when he got to Plowman he just walked straight through the tackle....hoping next week vs the old enemy will bring out the best of our senior players...

Reply #62
I don't understand why Gibbs and Murphy don't come under more scrutiny on here. I can understand young kids making bad skill errors but when your leaders are constantly doing it, what hope have we got. Some of Murphy's kicking and handballing was diabolical. First quarter we are on the attack with some quick handpassing and Murphy handballs it directly to a Dee 2 metres away. This is our Captain. And constantly picking the wrong option and handpassing to players who are tackled as soon as they receive it.
And we are behind with time running out and Gibbs kicks across field (instead of down field) and it was never going to get to it's target. Goal. That's another one of our leaders.
I get this year will be frustrating and I also get that the guys gave 100% today. But when our so called 'A Graders' are making these errors, it doesn't set much of an example for the kids to follow.
Dont worry JC, Murphy, Gibbs and Docherty have not avoided being critiqued on this site. As you say, some of their disposals an decisions (at a critical juncture in the game) were diabolical.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Casboult was woeful...a lampost would be more useful...
Armfield...gone
Charlie Curnow...been drinking his own bathwater, needs some tough love in the twos...
Docherty....error ridden, lack of awareness at times mixed with some good stuff..
MacReadie reminds me of Darren Milburn.....going ok
Marchbank...good but with some turnovers by foot..
White...gone
Rowe did the job on Hogan but marking a footy to him is akin to catching a RPG...
Simpson ok...but last season..
Smedts...reliable to a point but needs to do more..
Pickett...like him but needs to do more when he is on..
SPS...learning the game and will be in and out of play
Weitering....learning about playing forward, not his fault delivery is so poor.
Wright.. very effective footballer
Plowman, good all day apart from one poor tackle attempt.
Murphy and Gibbs...ok at times and also turned the footy over badly especially Murphy,,
Kruezer...battled well vs the bigger Gawn.
Ed Curnow..beat Lewis but his disposal is so poor its a 50/50 call on his effectiveness overall IMO..
SOSOS...poor IMO, looked slow and is kicking like Casboult...still young so I shouldnt expect too much but he needs to work harder for his kicks..
Cripps...gun all day, played his best game for a while and easy BOG IMO...
Thomas...couple of good things but just went..

Jack got a big hit to his back. He was probably our best forward in the first quarter. Did well to play the game out. Can't believe how hard you are on our kids. Most have played under ten games. All show signs of being long term players. Blain Boekhorst has speed but no heart. Jack has just turned 19 give him time.

Reply #64
Worrying signs are coming from the senior players, hack kicks, still don't kow how to kick to advantage, Murph hospital balls to teammates while the young guys are showing a bit.

Loved Rowe's game and Cripps', Macreadie is showing a bit and looks like there is something there. Like SPS and Pickett as well.

Agree, pleased with the newer/younger guys. Effort aside, our senior guys are just not good enough though, from what we've already seen. Kreuzer and Simmo went OK but the rest were generally ordinary.

I think BB and the coaching staff know where the root cause of the problems are but also know it will take time to work through them. In fact BB's post game presser provided a few between the lines insights IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
Matty Wright take a bow. Now that's skill and leadership in an inspirational little package. Loved Daisy's hanger, just like old times.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #66
Matty Wright take a bow. Now that's skill and leadership in an inspirational little package. Loved Daisy's hanger, just like old times.

Yes! Matty Wright - forgot to acknowledge his excellent contribution.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67

In respect of Murph and Gibbs, this depends on which forum expert you believe.

Quite apart from that, all players have bad days, form loss etc.

However good or bad their games were, I'm curious to know who folks on here think is our best user of the footy ?

Reply #68
Yes! Matty Wright - forgot to acknowledge his excellent contribution.

x3..Best kick for goal in the team and rarely stuffs up a disposal, probably shows you how strong the Crows list is when
they can dump a player like Wright off their list...
Wouldnt have minded Ricky Henderson either who is doing well for Hawthorn....

Reply #69

I should add. I thought Crippa's kicking looks on the up. In terms of hand/foot ratio and effectiveness. This was another very pleasing aspect of today. Imagine if he can start to increase his effect by foot. I'm starting to think (not that I'd have a clue) his broken leg may have hampered the development of his wheels. We may have exacerbated this with our premature over reliance on the youngster, due to a disastrous list....
Henry Ford.

Reply #70
So I went today and have just finished watching the replay so I have the following thoughts.
Really wrapped in the young blokes especially down back. Marchbank looks the real deal, Macredie has improved in one week and Plowman was probably our best defensively. I'm a Rowe basher so it hurts me to say his first 2 games have been pretty good. I still have little confidence in him maintaining that level. Docherty had a 50/50 day and Simmo was thankfully better than last week. Simon White needs to go. I'd play Weitering back settle the back 6 and move onto the next line.
Midfield were a pass mainly because of Cripps who was a workhorse today, but Gibbs and Murphy have to stop creating turnovers at crucial times in a game. It crushes any momentum. Kruezer did well.
Forwards were average to poor bar Matty Wright. Dennis needs to go. Great servant to the club but his time is up. Young SOS needs to learn to kick straight under pressure. Last qtr 40 out directly in front to put us 9 point up and shift momentum and he misses. Crucial.
Still lots of others had worse efforts throughout. Levi was shocking. He needs a rest.
Outs for me next week, White (should but probably won't), Armfield (can't see this not happening) and Levi. Maybe one more week for Thomas. Another week for the young indigenous boys too.
Look, they had a crack but their skills cost them again. Be a lot of that this year. Melbourne would not be final 8 based on their effort.
Finally, and I can't believe no ones mentioned this by now but did those umpires give it to us today or what? Never seen so many tackles laid by our blokes go unrewarded. Pathetic.

Reply #71
Jack got a big hit to his back. He was probably our best forward in the first quarter. Did well to play the game out. Can't believe how hard you are on our kids. Most have played under ten games. All show signs of being long term players. Blain Boekhorst has speed but no heart. Jack has just turned 19 give him time.

Hard but fair IMO...I'm not down on Jack and like him as a player(take your point about his injury so happy to cut him some slack) but his kicking has been atrocious of late and like I said
has a Casboult look to it..apart from Charlie Curnow i reckon I went easy on the other kids and thought most of them showed something and laid most of the blame for defeat at some of our older brigade who turned the footy over at critical times...
Agree on BB but I guess as Fly pointed out in another thread he may get another chance because he adds some run and carry and you have to give him a go before you stamp his papers...

Reply #72
@rocky
Thanks for your match report. Surprisingly similar to my TV view.

Re: Finally, and I can't believe no ones mentioned this by now but did those umpires give it to us today or what? Never seen so many tackles laid by our blokes go unrewarded. Pathetic.

I thought this, and swore at the box many a time in disbelief :-[
Didn't mention it coz I thought it was my Navy bias at work. Somehow feels a little comforting to know it's a view shared. Not sure what the free differential was, but my money's on D's winning that stat by more than chance.

Go Blues
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
Very lopsided slant on performances today. Murphy runs his guts out and gets battered and gets crucified for a few turnovers, yet Pickett does one or two good things and he did OK? Give me a break, the reason that Murph and Gibbs are turning the ball over is fatigue and the young kids playing with them don't know how to make space. I saw Simmo on the back flank searching for a kicking target and all Pickett had to do was run to the boundary and he could put the ball out in front, yet he stood in the centre square. Over a quarter of the team have not played 10 games yet, that is why we lost not Murphy, Gibbs and Curnow.

With that behind me, I thought we played well today. We looked like an AFL team. Ball was switched, targets were hit, a definite defensive structure that only broke down a few times. Tackles were laid and our players stood up for each other. Loved Weitering coming in after Lewis slugged Cripps, closely followed by Wright and Silvagni. That's what build team spirit, you walk a bit taller knowing that you have mates that have your back.

White and Dennis are both on borrowed time, we just need someone to stand up and take their place from the VFL. We don't have a small defender on the list, Cam Poulson this is how you get a game, you ask to go to a back pocket, learn the game, use pace shot down the small forwards that we have struggled with for too long.

An improvement this week blue boys and a piss weak start

+1

Our biggest issue is the usual.

Too much left to too few, and a few players running round trying to get a kick who don't seem to know what they're doing.

add a sprinkle of over using the footy and it's an almost should have been a win.

I thought the umpires were giving Melbourne an armchair ride all day too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
Free kick counts, as with all stats, can at times be misleading.

We won the frees 25-12 against the Tiges.

Apart from a couple of things, I didn't think the umpiring was any worse than usual.

I think AFL footy is pretty difficult to umpire to be honest.