Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6159 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
I say we train all our backmen  to wiggle all fingers when they are reaching to touch a ball on the goal line.
You mean like the Filth players are all doing?

I thought they were just singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to the Daicos babies!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
Tell all the supporters of other teams and the media that the ball wasn't touched. It will wind them up no end. It is a bit like the Harmes incident. It doesn't matter whether the ball was in or out, we won the flag. It doesn't matter if the ball was touched or not, we won the game. We are Carlton, everyone one else can take care of themselves.

Reply #122
Tell all the supporters of other teams and the media that the ball wasn't touched. It will wind them up no end. It is a bit like the Harmes incident. It doesn't matter whether the ball was in or out, we won the flag. It doesn't matter if the ball was touched or not, we won the game. We are Carlton, everyone one else can take care of themselves.
Funny how this one gets all the press, and the two Jeremy Cameron ones have gone all quiet when they were much bigger clangers.

Cameron's mark in the third quarter was so far over the boundary, I'm surprised he wasn't asked to show his reserved seat ticket.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #123
Funny how this one gets all the press, and the two Jeremy Cameron ones have gone all quiet when they were much bigger clangers.

Cameron's mark in the third quarter was so far over the boundary, I'm surprised he wasn't asked to show his reserved seat ticket.
I thought this was pretty funny from Vic Pol
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #124

I say we train all our backmen  to wiggle all fingers when they are reaching to touch a ball on the goal line.

Richmond did that last year against us as we kicked for goal, sucked in the dopey dicks in the Arc, and cost us badly as it would have put us within a kick late in the game.

Reply #125
Don't think you can draw this conclusion from this statement. 

When looking at a touched call, there are two criteria (a) was it touched and (b) if it was, was it in the field of play, or behind the goal line.  When the field umpire sends it upstairs, I am sure the expectation is that both criteria will be assessed.  I think "Please make sure it was touched in the field" is a simplified way of the umpire requesting that both criteria are checked.

Our saving grace was the soft call from the goalie - if he says not touched, and video evidence can't prove otherwise, criteria (a) is out the window.

What the goal umpire is saying is that he definitely touched and wanted to make sure it was in the field of play. As far as the ARC goes, as you said, they check both whether it was touched and if it was whether it was touched in the field of play.

Reply #126
What the goal umpire is saying is that he definitely touched and wanted to make sure it was in the field of play. As far as the ARC goes, as you said, they check both whether it was touched and if it was whether it was touched in the field of play.
Exactly correct, if he did not think it was touched he would have called a goal and asked to confirm that it wasn't touch or was touched over the line.

The truth of the situation doesn't suit those wanting to make it a debate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
No problems, however Marchbank didn't have to come out afterwards and say that he thought it went through and was goal and that he might have cost Carlton the game etc. Just STFU mate and say nothing other than "I definitely touch it and the ump called it that way". Some of these players aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #128
Did Marchbank really say that?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #129
I thought Marchbank comment was that he touched it but he thought it was perhaps over the line already, the question was never if he touched it but which side of the line it was touched on.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
Well I was wearing my brand new glasses and had perfect position on the couch.  I was absolutely sure the ball was touched before crossing the line. Eos. 😇
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #131
Had Marchbank no been interfered with, he probably would have marked that.

Reply #132
I thought Marchbank comment was that he touched it but he thought it was perhaps over the line already, the question was never if he touched it but which side of the line it was touched on.
Does he say what hand or part of the body he touched it with?

Reply #133
Does he say what hand or part of the body he touched it with?

He said the ball touched his fingertips, on the left hand I believe. I don't think Marchbank ever doubted he touched the ball, I think his doubt and uncertainty was around whether the umpire would recognise the touch, and whether justice would prevail.

Reply #134
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_324_2c0d5fa5892d09ebf4556ad080a796c5;topic=6539
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball